C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

11989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM
bsstaats
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start

Hey guys I have an '89 and I am currently doing a complete interior restoration. I thought that while I had the dash apart I would install a keyless entry/remote start system to make my life a little easier. I thought that all I would need is a DBALL2 bypass module and a compatable viper or avital system, but know it seems that the DBALL2 system will not be compatible with my '89. So my question is: have any of you already done this modification or something similar, and if so what do I need to purchase to make it work? Thanks.

Last edited by bsstaats; 12-06-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 PM
bsstaats
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I assume your 89 is an automatic. Installing a Remote Start in a manual trans car is very risky. There are some RS systems intended for manual trans cars that require a specific sequence to shut down and exit the car. If a door is opened prior to the next RS attempt, the system will not initiate a Remote Start. I strongly suggest don't consider installing an RS on a manual trans car. Too many bugaboos, and fussy to pre-set so it will work.

You need a resistor that matches the value of the 'chip' in the key and a relay. You don't need a DBALL. Search online for Viper system installation manuals from about 10 years ago like the 350, 350HV, 795HV. All these manuals have diagrams and instructions for bypassing VATS during a Remote Start. the12volt.com is an excellent source for info, help and probably has these manuals in the downloads section.

You could also permanently bypass the VATS resistor. Then the RS will work, but the car won't be protected by the VATS system any longer.
Thanks for the help that matches up with all the reading I've been doing. Can't wait to finish this project up.

Quick Reply: 11989 Corvette keyless entry/remote start