C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS3 Accessory Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:19 AM
WRC7732
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LS3 Accessory Squeak

Hey all,

I know I probably need to float this over in the LS Tech forum but thought I would give it a try here first.

I have an LS3 crate engine that I installed in my 96 coupe this past spring. I used and accessory drive kit from Holley performance for the power steering pump and alternator, and an LS brackets set up for the AC compressor. I also l had to go with a smaller pulley on the power steering pump in order to clear the drivers side a-arm. I have also swapped out the belt for a gator back style to see if that would eliminate my squeak. It did not.

I have a light squeak or chirp that sounds as though it is coming from the power steering pump area. And I have a new idler pulley that I can install to see if that remedies my issue. However in talking with a friend of mine who also has an LS engine swap he mentioned that sometimes when you downsize the power steering pump pulley you cannot install it flush with the shaft as the smaller pullies need to be installed either proud of or beyond flush of the shaft in order to be correct in their alignment.

I used the Dorman 300–126 pulley and I'm wondering if anyone here knows the exact installation spacing that one needs to utilize in order for this pulley to be in perfect alignment with the rest of the accessory drive. I've heard both .150 inches shy of flush and also .200 inches past flush. But I don't seem to be able to find anything definitive.

Any assistance that you all might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Will

Last edited by WRC7732; 12-10-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 AM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will,

Check the alinement on the P/S pulley, if the pulley is slightly off the belts will squeak. I had an alinement problem with my A/C pulley with my LQ4 swap.

Randy
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM
WRC7732
Racer

Originally Posted by rlane5
Will,

Check the alinement on the P/S pulley, if the pulley is slightly off the belts will squeak. I had an alinement problem with my A/C pulley with my LQ4 swap.

Randy
Hey Randy,

It appears fine as far as the eye can see, but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell just by looking at it. Especially if it's truly a .150 or .200 difference.

I'm hoping someone can chime in with exactly what it should be and I can use that as a base line.

Thanks,
Will
Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Can you NOT use a "laser alignment device" to check?

I'd think that your mix of the FED components and the Dorman product which likely has a very large manufacturing tolerance would maybe demand a "per installation evaluation". I'd think that the what you've read variables substantiate that.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 AM
WRC7732
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Can you NOT use a "laser alignment device" to check?

I'd think that your mix of the FED components and the Dorman product which likely has a very large manufacturing tolerance would maybe demand a "per installation evaluation". I'd think that the what you've read variables substantiate that.
i do not have a "laser alignment device.'
Old 12-10-2016, 11:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by WRC7732
i do not have a "laser alignment device.'
A larger auto-parts jobber might be able to help you or maybe let you know who in the area might have. A larger municipality maintenance shop in the area here bought one just because of the variety of equipment that was used. They had many under-hood compressor and accessory drives that nearly every tensioner was a very generic modified by a vendor to use with their accessory.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:03 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Usually it is the harmonic balancer wobble. if the belts are at all glazed from age or slippage, ever been wet with antifreeze...it will chirp.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If the power steering pulley is the source of misalignment, you need to get a different one or reposition it in or out on shaft. Can you post picture of misalignment.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:15 AM
WRC7732
Racer

Originally Posted by mike100
Usually it is the harmonic balancer wobble. if the belts are at all glazed from age or slippage, ever been wet with antifreeze...it will chirp.
Havent noticed a wobble, but haven't looked that closely at the balancer, being a brand new crate engine and all, but I will take a look at it.

Originally Posted by Kevova
If the power steering pulley is the source of misalignment, you need to get a different one or reposition it in or out on shaft. Can you post picture of misalignment.
I cant see any misalignment by eyeball check. Otherwise I'd gladly send a pic of it. I'll try to post some pics tonight just in case someone sees something I'm missing.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Accessory Squeak

Quick Reply: LS3 Accessory Squeak