C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C7 hood vent on a C4 - anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:59 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I think your mock-up will work very well. Just a thought: you might be able to save a ton of work and under-hood complication by not making a fully-enclosed and sealed duct, but instead just using a guide at the bottom of the radiator to deflect air toward the hood vent. An example is here, starting with post #876. Note that they didn't actually seal the system - they just used a sheet-aluminum deflector at the bottom rear of the radiator to guide air to the twin ducts in the hood. Terry (the originator of that thread and car) has access to some very high level motorsports aerodynamicists, and I'm guessing it was their suggestion that he could achieve 95% of the airflow with 10% of the fab work and materials.

ETA: On an LT engine with Opti, I'd probably extend that deflector over the front of the engine to very near the top of the hood, just to shield the Opti from any water that makes its way in through the vent.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gareth (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Beatnik
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, we also did similar work with a rolled radiator, ducting and hood venting on an infamous C4 that runs in the Texas area. Unfortunately, we can't show pics, as the competitor likes his privacy. It worked great.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Beatnik
Matt, we also did similar work with a rolled radiator, ducting and hood venting on an infamous C4 that runs in the Texas area. Unfortunately, we can't show pics, as the competitor likes his privacy. It worked great.
Hah! I forgot you were on here!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:50 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey Gareth your cars looking good! How's that 427 running. It was cool you made it over to here to help put the engine together. That has to be a rare find in England... I can't imagine there's too many 427 C4 Corvettes over there. It's a Badass car!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Gareth
Instructor

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
Hey Gareth your cars looking good! How's that 427 running. It was cool you made it over to here to help put the engine together. That has to be a rare find in England... I can't imagine there's too many 427 C4 Corvettes over there. It's a Badass car!
I don't think there are any 427 C4's. There is a guy who works about 200 yards from me who has virtually the same car as a 383 stroker motor with Nitros. Spoke to a senior member of the UK Corvette forum and he seemed very surprised there was a C4 with a 427 in it.

It's running sooo much better after I found the earth fault. The Alpha N program I had done in the UK now works fine and looking at the FAST data logs the O2 sensor / Lambda readings look good, certainly for normal driving.

Took the car out in late December, I think the car has all the power I will ever need- with wet roads every time I looked at the gas pedal the tires span!

Just tidyng up to do now... and enjoy it! Really hope to get back over to the US with the family some time, my 3 year old is a big Van Halen fan so we can all rock out together!

Old 01-14-2017, 04:21 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gman35
recent one i did.. first is a proto type.. more ideas for the next one

1st one that i have done.. faux grill trim is removable to let airflow into engine bay

Kinda like this.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 AM
Gareth
Instructor

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
Kinda like this.

Looks good Anti Venom, but not quite what I am after

Quick Reply: C7 hood vent on a C4 - anyone done it?