C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help me build a 1000 hp LTX (really)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes the Miniram has a larger plenum. Are you eliminating the Opti? I would think Jim would suggest this. I ran an aftermarket distributor!

Let me know when your ready to sell the car.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Yes the Miniram has a larger plenum. Are you eliminating the Opti? I would think Jim would suggest this. I ran an aftermarket distributor!

Let me know when your ready to sell the car.
Opti is long gone, I installed a 24x a while back, I'll get some pics posted in the near future hopefully.

Everything I have is for sale - for the right price!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Props for not going LS. I know it's a "better" engine, but it is every where. And I'm no hipster, but I like having something most don't have. Sorry man, can't give you any tips. I'd be happy with a cam, LT's, and roller rockers Badass car btw, I love your choice of wheels. Of course, I may be a bit biased
Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DVNCI
Yep, you may not remember but I sent you a PM a while back about Jim and your recommendation (among many others here) is what led me to him!

Yep! I forget what brand but we are using a shaft kit.

Thanks Bill

Based on Jim's recommendation, and further research, I actually ordered a Miniram today. It will be port matched to the AFR 227's.

After talking more with Jim, 1000 is probably a bit unrealistic for what is basically a street car. With 10-12 lbs we are guessing it will come in around 800 crank hp or so? Who knows, that's way more than I can use on the street anyway.

Regarding compression ratio, general consensus seems to be around 9.5 or so, we'll probably be close to that.

Consensus on injectors seems to be 80, so that's what I'm going to go with.

And yeah, there is absolutely NO question an LSX would be cheaper, but there is a million reasons I don't want to do LSX . . . . and frankly it just wouldn't be as cool in my opinion. Certainly wouldn't be as much of a conversation piece!
It's easy to get caught up in hp numbers. But I talked to Kevin and explained 750 to 800hp is more realistic for a pump gas hyd roller street engine. We aren't using a solid roller,race gas and super high rpm. It's actually getting a hyd roller Bullet cam 238/244 .605/.605 on a 114lsa. So it will be a drive it anywhere car with good street manners. We are doing a 396, I'll use a 5.85 Crower billet rod so we have room for a dish and have room to move the ring package down a little so the ring land is thicker. We'll use custom JE pistons, and a Callies Dragonslayor crank. The block has splayed 4 bolt mains and a low fill. With the AFR 227 heads, the biggest chamber size we can get is 65cc's, so we have to run a bit of a dish. We'll use a Crower shaft system with the heads for total durability. And I'm thinking 12 to 14lbs with meth and let the power numbers fall where they are. One thing a street engine with moderate boost should have a fairly long life to it. Running 20-25lbs boost is going to shorten engine life and this is a street engine first off.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

So I have been down this path, but with an L98 vs LT1. And an LT1 is not so different from the old L98.

My thoughts, build the engine assy as bulletproof as possible. My bottom end consisted of a 4" stroke Crower Super-Lite crank, Oliver billet rods, JE Custom pistons, block was bored 0.030, fully relieved, splayed billet caps, half-fill and set with 9.7 scr. I used Swains-coating extensively in the engine build.

I used AFR220 with shaft rockers, large SR cam (248/254 @ 0.50, 0.7xx lift) and a modified single plane intake with mono-blade TB. 1-7/8" headers.

Initially I went with Bosch 85 lb/hr, but fell short on fuel (even with MeOH injection) with the R series blower. I later changed to 120 lb/hr injectors.

I ran steady in the 25+psig range, but during the winter it will exceed a 3BAR MAP.

All is tuned with FAST programming.

Build the bottom end as strong as possible so you only have to do it once. You can easily exceed 1000WHP with the proper combination of parts and enough boost.

Best of luck,
Aaron
Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA Aaron

Initially I went with Bosch 85 lb/hr, but fell short on fuel (even with MeOH injection) with the R series blower. I later changed to 120 lb/hr injectors.
I was going to mention, most builds of years past always ended up with a dyno pull that had to be cut short because of fuel issues. lines/pump/injectors 100% duty cycle.

It seems the math for power vs fuel injectors needs to be bumped up a little in the real world.

I was also being sarcastic about the LSX... I still have my l98, and would not swap it, even though all the BS I got for it, might make a little more hp then my supercharged LS6 that is street legal and passes ca emissions. I would not want the headache of swapping in an lsx series for a C4 anyhow. mo money for mods.

Also the LSx series also has distribution issues in the intake as well. I think it is #7 cylinder that has the issue.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:50 AM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
I was going to mention, most builds of years past always ended up with a dyno pull that had to be cut short because of fuel issues. lines/pump/injectors 100% duty cycle.

It seems the math for power vs fuel injectors needs to be bumped up a little in the real world.

I had plenty of fuel once I upgraded the complete system. Weldon Pump, All large braided stainless or hard lines and the larger injectors. The components are out there to build big power; it just costs money.

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
I was also being sarcastic about the LSX... I still have my l98, and would not swap it, even though all the BS I got for it, might make a little more hp then my supercharged LS6 that is street legal and passes ca emissions. I would not want the headache of swapping in an lsx series for a C4 anyhow. mo money for mods.

Also the LSx series also has distribution issues in the intake as well. I think it is #7 cylinder that has the issue.

So true... I just replaced #7 slug over Christmas on my TT LS car. The C6 runs great now, but already initiated an ERL Superdeck 427 that will likely hold anything that I choose to throw at it in the foreseeable future. For now the engine will be tucked away, but I feel certain it will have a use soon enough.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Following this thread.

Looking forward to the results.

I also have a solid axle C4 with 6 speed. I am in the process of installing a p600B. Will try to run it on e85.

Good luck!
Steve

Last edited by STEVEN13; 01-13-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like fun dont get too caught up in #s they dont win races
Follow your builders lead and stick with it.

Quick Reply: Help me build a 1000 hp LTX (really)