C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Droopy headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:00 PM
copper_94
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Droopy headlight

So, about 4 years ago, i replaced the bushings and the gears in both headlights in my 94. I used the bronze gears so I didn't have to do that repair again.

I now have one of them that doesn't close, and doesn't open, just like it did when it the original gears which wore out. I took it apart today, and replaced the bushings again as they were slightly worn and flat spotted. I did not find any plastic dust, nor metal shavings. The worm gear in the servo seems to be in good shape with no missing or worn down threads. The bronze gear doesn't seem to be worn much as there's no groove in it from the worm gear, but i don't remember how tall the threads were.

The motor in the servo runs well, but doesn't shut off when the lamp hits the stop. I can rotate the headlight by hand, and it doesn't seem to catch the servo threads, as it moves easily. Rotating the servo **** does, after a while, move the light back and forth.

It's almost like the threads of the bronze gear aren't catching the worm gear all the time. Could it have worn across the entire face of the gear, or did perhaps the worm gear wear down too much to not catch the bronze gear?

Should I replace the bronze gear again? it seems to me it should last my lifetime, but i don't know what to try next.

Quick Reply: Droopy headlight