C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need a bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a bit of help

Hey guys, I'm in the process of fixing/rewiring my brothers 1990 vette so it can be driven on his wedding day and have run into a unusual snag.
This car will not activate the injectors until you short one. Personally I have not seen that before but I work on Turbine engines primarily. Just wondering if this would be an issue with the ECM, or what kind of direction you guys would think I need to go looking. Or have any of you run into this issue before. When I get home I'm going to be changing out all the injectors with new ones as these ones haven't ever been changed before. (Cheap insurance)

Thanks for your help. (Kind of hoping my brother isn't on this forum...)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:32 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

If a C4 has VATS activated, it will not fire the injectors. Maybe because you shorted one, they are being activated? Not sure, just guessing on that. With a good battery, put key in ON position. Get a voltage reading from the coolant sensor, map sensor, throttle position sensor. They all should give you 5 volts. If they do, good ECM. Have you tried scanning codes?
Old 01-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

The car wasn't giving any codes or lights, and I will have to check the voltage at those sensors when I get home. That is still a couple weeks away. I do appreciate the options though, and if those all read 5volts then no matter what the ecm is good? Also how can I find out if the vats is working? Cause I was under the understanding that if it was active the engine wouldn't rotate. My brother does currently have the radio removed from the car. (That is the only other thing that is suspect at the moment.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

Also for advice on the injectors I have been told a Bosch 3 is the way to go, was hoping to get an opinion on that as well as if some one has a pn for a good set. I was thinking the 22lb or the 24 should do plenty
Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

Bump for info on injectors
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brothersmechanic
Bump for info on injectors
​​​​​​​Sorry I forgot! Bosch 3 are fine. I would go with whatever pound injectors they came with new. Unless the engine is modded. If the engine does crank over, then VATS isn't being activated.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:35 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

And if you do get 5 volts, it's almost guaranteed the ECM is good.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

Awesome that's good to know, the engine turns over smoothly, just for some reason needs the extra for the injectors to get going. When I figure it out then I will let you guys know for future reference.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 01:39 AM
wikdwizard
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

So, to be clear, when you short one injector all eight work and the car runs after you remove your jumper?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

That is correct though smoothly may not be exactly correct. Hence the coming injector change
Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Check , test , or replace the Ignition Control Module in the distributor .....
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

They have been known to cause this kind of issue?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Check , test , or replace the Ignition Control Module in the distributor .....
The ECM uses the DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module to synchronize the firing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The ECM uses the DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module to synchronize the firing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine.
..... This ! ..... it could be as simple as a dirty connection between the ICM , the ESC , and the ECM ... we're dealing with low current , low voltage pulses and any interruption can wreak havoc on an otherwise good running system .....
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Brothersmechanic
8th Gear

Ok I know the other two but what is the ESC? Will all the corroded connections that. Have found on his car the added resistance could be a major contributor. Thank you very kindly everyone, I appreciate this assistance in getting this matter sorted out.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Brothersmechanic
Ok I know the other two but what is the ESC? Will all the corroded connections that. Have found on his car the added resistance could be a major contributor. Thank you very kindly everyone, I appreciate this assistance in getting this matter sorted out.
..... Electronic Spark Control ... on my '87 the module is located on the passenger side near the Heater/AC blower motor .....
Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Check your Ground connections

Hello there,
That is a very kind thing you are doing for your brother! I have always fixed my brothers cars for him as well.

The car you are working on is very dependent on the signals it gets from its sensors. When your ground is no good it throws off a lot of the readings that the primary controller sees. Be sure to go through the ground connections carefully. Simple tests like verifying that the engine has a good ground can be done with a multi-meter. Check battery voltage, then check engine ground by leaving one lead on battery Positive (12 Vdc) and then take ground lead from meter and check the engine block to see if you have the same or at least a very close to the same as the battery reading.
Behind the battery on my 1988 is a block with a post on it. On the post you will find a bunch of RED leads which feed the fusible links that power most of cars electrical systems. I would check to be sure that there is no corrosion there.
Your injectors have positive voltage going to each one while the key is "on", your computer sends out the ground signal to engage the injector and make it work.
I let my car set for a few years and it was all corroded when I opened it back up. I learned this the hard way.

Good Luck on your "project"!

Get notified of new replies

To Need a bit of help

Quick Reply: Need a bit of help