C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lsx/4+3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:56 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Lsx/4+3 swap

I've had the car for almost ten years. Pic was taken in Baumholder, Germany.
5.3 bought for $440

Finally making some progress.

I've been gathering parts for this swap for several months. Originally I was going to swap my thirdgen firebird but decided I like my '88 Vette more. Finally got the L98 out today. I have most of the parts so far for the 5.3 turbo swap and will be using my 4+3. My '88 had 162k on the original engine and tranny with no issues-even the overdrive worked fine.
Will be using stock 5.3 with eBay head studs, Chinese turbo, deka 60s, ls1 intake, 621 bellhousing, victor reinz mls head gaskets for notched 862s, f-body oil pan, f-body water pump

Last edited by armybyrd; 02-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:18 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

great build up!

why chinese turbo? chinese auto parts do not have a good reputation for quality

ch
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
great build up!

why chinese turbo? chinese auto parts do not have a good reputation for quality

ch

Ive got a few buddies who have done a bunch of lsx swaps and one has a turbo 5.3 in a '80 camaro (pretty much denmahs build) and has been running the setup for years now. Runs 10s in the 1/4. The engine was $440 and the turbo was only $200 so if it blows I'll have a 6.0 ready to swap in. By now just about everything's been done with these lsx swaps and plenty of guys run the Chinese turbos with no major issues.

Last edited by armybyrd; 02-19-2017 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (04-02-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Looks weird w/o the exhaust tips.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:06 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

I've only found a few C4/LSX swap threads and none that have been done with the 4+3 specifically so I do have a few questions.
I've read the truck balancer won't work so I'm ordering one from a Corvette LS1.

1. Will the f-body water pump work with the Vette balancer? If not directly I don't think it would be too hard to add spacers if need be.

2. Is the Vette powersteering pump the only option?

3. For alternator I have one of the higher output truck alts or my stock L98 alt. I'm guessing the truck alt would be better since its higher output? Hopefully ICT billet or some other company has a bracket I can use.

Last edited by armybyrd; 02-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the accessories for the LS1 the f-body spacing is not the same as the vette. I think the water pumps are the same but if you have the vette balancer you will need the vette alternator bracket as it is closer to the block.

On my 50 ford that I swapped an LS1 into I have the opposite, I have a F-bogey balancer and had to space out my vette accessooy bracket to stay in line. For the alternator you need to check your harness to make sure it connects.

You should check out the ls1tech forum, there is a ton if information there. I also got a lot of good useable take offs from people who upgraded thei setups.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:55 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
On the accessories for the LS1 the f-body spacing is not the same as the vette. I think the water pumps are the same but if you have the vette balancer you will need the vette alternator bracket as it is closer to the block.

On my 50 ford that I swapped an LS1 into I have the opposite, I have a F-bogey balancer and had to space out my vette accessooy bracket to stay in line. For the alternator you need to check your harness to make sure it connects.

You should check out the ls1tech forum, there is a ton if information there. I also got a lot of good useable take offs from people who upgraded thei setups.
Yea ls1tech has a lot more info. Guess the Vette crowd is more on the conservative side. :/
I'm aware of the differences for accessories for the most part-haven't read of the Vette/f-body water pumps are different though. I've got two truck harnesses and I'll most likely end up using the truck alt. For alt bracket most likely one of the online vendors.

Last edited by armybyrd; 02-20-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Cool project, I'm in the process of putting in a LQ9 into my 85 vette.

I'm curious on where your going to put the turbo? Originally I wanted to run a Borg Warner S480 (80mm inducer) in my car. Probably just going to run a Procharger instead now.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:54 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Cool project, I'm in the process of putting in a LQ9 into my 85 vette.

I'm curious on where your going to put the turbo? Originally I wanted to run a Borg Warner S480 (80mm inducer) in my car. Probably just going to run a Procharger instead now.
Haven't thought that far as I just got to pulling the engine yesterday.
Did you previously have a 5.3? Do you know if I have to use a C5 powersteering pump and Vette balancer?

Last edited by armybyrd; 02-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

My car originally had the L98 just like your car. I'm using 0.625in ahead LX engine plates and the stock motor mounts. In the stock position the back of the engine block came in contact with the AC evaporator, and steering box.

My engine is connected to the factory 700R. I'm using the stock LQ9 flex plate and stock torque converter.

I would have to run a different rad to squeeze the S480 infront of the LS engine. Yes do able, maybe down the road I give it a try.

I'm using the GM 05 corvette accessory kit, corvette engine pulley. I wanted to run the Holley AC adapter, but it hit my hood. I had to trim the drive side hood some to get some hood clearance to my alternator.

I'm also running shorty headers, $160 eBay specials. Came with the LS motor plates.

I'm also running aftermarket LS2/LS6 intake, 102mm throttle body, 40lbs ev6 injectors.

I in the process of building a new C beam, as I needed to lengthen mine.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 02-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

My car originally had the L98 just like your car. I'm using 0.625in ahead LX engine plates and the stock motor mounts. In the stock position the back of the engine block came in contact with the AC evaporator, and steering box.

My engine is connected to the factory 700R. I'm using the stock LQ9 flex plate and stock torque converter.

I would have to run a different rad to squeeze the S480 infront of the LS engine. Yes do able, maybe down the road I give it a try.

I'm using the GM 05 corvette accessory kit, corvette engine pulley. I wanted to run the Holley AC adapter, but it hit my hood. I had to trim the drive side hood some to get some hood clearance to my alternator.

I'm also running shorty headers, $160 eBay specials. Came with the LS motor plates.

I'm also running aftermarket LS2/LS6 intake, 102mm throttle body, 40lbs ev6 injectors.

I in the process of building a new C beam, as I needed to lengthen mine.
geeze glad I'm getting rid of the ac. I just want to keep the heat. Any pics of your setup?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Shes a work in progress, so nothing to whizzy yet. I put the engine in over the christmas break. Been to busy fixing my house and working.

I'm also running the Holley low profile oil pan. Probably cheaper running the GM F body pan.

I just in the process of putting on the coolant lines and servicing my transmission. I'm also in the process of welding up a home made 3in exhaust, with some cheap skate 3in in/out mufflers.

I'm running FAST ez ls kit on my car, sure wished I looked at the other options as there is nothing for the alternator. So hopefully I have figuring that out. I want in cab tuning adjustablity, that's why I running the fast system. Today there is lots more options than when I was buying my pieces last year.
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Did you try using truck accessories?
There's a guy on ls1tech who said he has an LSx in his C4 and it fit with truck stuff although I'm still waiting for the details and pictures.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the truck accessories will push everything further away from the motor and will also place the alternator higher than the vette mounts (you would also need to have a truck balancer and WP). I would think that you would have interference with the rack in a C4
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think the truck brackets will clear the hood and it will hit the electric fan.
Randy
Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

There's a member on ls1tech who's just about done a turbo lsx swap in a C4 as well-he used all truck accessories w/o ac and it all fit right in place. At my current job I sit at a computer all day and I end up reading A LOT- my buddy always tells me not to listen to a lot of these "forum guys" since it seems like some don't speak from actual experience and aren't familiar with making things work if it doesn't bolt right up.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

armybrd, what the specs on the chinese turbo your planning on running? I never had any decent luck running them in the past. Most don't work as well as a Borg or Garrett or Precision?

I hope your planning on at least putting in ARP rod bolts?

I don't think its to difficult to install a turbo on the C4. I would run a decent size single in front of the engine, behind the rad. There is room for me to run 2 1/2in pipes on both sides of the engine and run a single exhaust out the passenger side of the car.

There are a few C4 LS turbo vettes on youtube

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 02-23-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lsx/4+3 swap

Old 02-24-2017, 03:29 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

armybrd, what the specs on the chinese turbo your planning on running? I never had any decent luck running them in the past. Most don't work as well as a Borg or Garrett or Precision?

I hope your planning on at least putting in ARP rod bolts?

I don't think its to difficult to install a turbo on the C4. I would run a decent size single in front of the engine, behind the rad. There is room for me to run 2 1/2in pipes on both sides of the engine and run a single exhaust out the passenger side of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdgpRRRv4c

There are a few C4 LS turbo vettes on youtube
DNA gt45-69mm?
I have a friend local who's been using one for years.
speedmaster head studs. Pretty much copying a denmah build.

Last edited by armybyrd; 02-27-2017 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by armybyrd
DNA gt45-69mm?
I have a friend local who's been using one for years.
speedmaster head studs. Pretty much copying a denmah build.
Nice, Take more pictures of the turbo? You running T6 or T-4 turbine housing? Decent turbo. 88mm inducer and 96mm turbine. You running wastegates? What size injectors? Nice build buddy.

I've run garrett gt ball bearing turbo's in the past, man there are worth the extra money. Almost minimum lag and make nice power.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

T4. I believe the DNA gt45 is actually 69mm.
40mm wastegate. 60 lb injectors.
I have just about all of the parts I need-waiting on my piping and the rest will be when I find the time to get it altogether. Luckily I was able to get a procharger intercooler from a forum member-the one that goes in place of the C4 airbox. I started this thread and one on ls1tech but it didn't get much interest so I figured no one cared lol

Quick Reply: Lsx/4+3 swap