C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ranger for clutch fluid replenish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:15 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default ranger for clutch fluid replenish?

hey everyone

I wanted to check to see if using the ranger technique for changing the clutch fluid is sufficient on my '85? the haynes mentions removing the clutch m/c and bleeding - ? I did not know how necessary that was or if the syringe and refill will do?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Sean
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

The ranger method is only a partial replacement that is used on the C5's and up. It is used because you can't get to the stock bleeder at the slave cylinder. It is marginal at best for getting rid of the contaminated fluid. (The C5's + have a slave design that drags clutch friction dust into the slave fluid so with them it is more important to get the abrasive dust out of the fluid. The C4's and earlier don't have the same type of problem.)

The C4's have a slave cylinder that you can get to easily. There is no point to do the half way method when you can do it correctly by using the slave cylinder bleeder.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
sb66 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sb66
hey everyone

I wanted to check to see if using the ranger technique for changing the clutch fluid is sufficient on my '85? the haynes mentions removing the clutch m/c and bleeding - ? I did not know how necessary that was or if the syringe and refill will do?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Sean

I like to fill a 60cc syringe up with fluid attach a hose to the end and put the other end of the hose over the bleeder (make sure all air is out of syringe and his before putting it over bleeder) Crack the bleeder free (1/4 turn) and push the fluid up and either have someone up top with a similar syringe sucking out the fluid or push a Oz of fluid threw then go up top and suck an Oz out of the MC. Repeat until fluid in MC looks brand new.

Very easy and very cheap method.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lt4-396:
Red 91 (02-23-2017), sb66 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:35 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

thanks - is the bleeder like that on a brake?

also - do you need to remove the slave - I think that is what they showed in the Haynes - It needed to be at the highest point?

pushing the fresh fluid in sounds like a good way to avoid letting air in as well

thanks

Sean
Old 02-22-2017, 06:35 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
The ranger method is only a partial replacement that is used on the C5's and up. It is used because you can't get to the stock bleeder at the slave cylinder. It is marginal at best for getting rid of the contaminated fluid. (The C5's + have a slave design that drags clutch friction dust into the slave fluid so with them it is more important to get the abrasive dust out of the fluid. The C4's and earlier don't have the same type of problem.)

The C4's have a slave cylinder that you can get to easily. There is no point to do the half way method when you can do it correctly by using the slave cylinder bleeder.

Good luck.
Can we install a speed bleeder on the slave?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:50 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I do not know - but that would be cool if we could
Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sb66
I do not know - but that would be cool if we could

Yes you can install a speed bleeder but the bleeder is not the lowest point which is why I reverse bleed them.

You do not need to remove the slave to reverse bleed which is another reason I do it that way.

The syringe method Imo really is the easiest way, I was never a fan of speed bleeders, something as crucial as getting 100% air out of the system I will not be relaying on a one way valve.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt4-396
Yes you can install a speed bleeder but the bleeder is not the lowest point which is why I reverse bleed them.

You do not need to remove the slave to reverse bleed which is another reason I do it that way.

The syringe method Imo really is the easiest way, I was never a fan of speed bleeders, something as crucial as getting 100% air out of the system I will not be relaying on a one way valve.
Just an idea. I do it the old fashioned way. And yes, I do use the syringe method once a month or so on my 94'. Doesn't take much time and helps keep the fluid somewhat clear.

Get notified of new replies

To ranger for clutch fluid replenish?

Quick Reply: ranger for clutch fluid replenish?