C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Caliper Cleaning / Seal Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Brake Caliper Cleaning / Seal Refresh

Hi All,

I'm undergoing a suspension overhaul and have new brake pads, discs and stainless hoses to go on the car. (that thread here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-overhaul.html)

But, the calipers look awful with years of baked on brake dust. I was thinking of pulling them off the car, breaking them down then washing the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner. The seals and dust boots seem available and very inexpensive. I've only rebuilt brake calipers once before and it was on a Honda - anything specific to know or look for? If it matters - I do not have the J55 brakes on my 94.

A few questions more questions. Are the pistons stainless? Do they need to go back in the same bores they came from? I know front/rear will be different but say I have the pistons out of the two front calipers - do they have to go back in the exact bore they came from?

Is there any way I can prevent the brake fluid from draining out once the calipers are off the car? I'm not worried about losing it for the sake of saving money, but more so without the caliper on there I'm worried about moisture/dirt getting into the system. How can I seal things off? I suppose I can leave the old (getting replaced) brake lines in place and pinch them off but that seems like it may/may not work.

Other than seals and dust boots is there anything else that should be replaced on the calipers? I've had no issues from them, I really just want to clean them as they are visible through my wheels.

Is there a clear coat that will hold up on them afterward? I presume they will wash off easier if sealed.

thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 02:24 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

There should be a banjo fitting with copper/brass crush washers that hold the flexible brake lines to the calipers. You could get some rubber washers, some bolts and regular washers and seal the banjo fitting up good enough to keep the fluid from draining out.

I will be doing this myself in a couple weeks. This would not hold under pressure, but will probably work good enough to work on the calipers.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Thanks that is a good idea and worth a try.

Only thing might be if the fluid leaks out around the bolt threads.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Turns out there is just such a tool for the job. Bought a set.

Still interested in hearing about any tips as far as servicing the calipers.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:17 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Those look like they would work, being used on the old hoses. I would not use them on new hoses though.

My thoughts on the rubber washers was a tight fit. Probably would need a shoulder bolt or a fine thread bolt so that the rubber washer fills the threads. Or do a test run and fill the threads to a certain point beforehand with silicone and let it dry.

I am also replacing my hoses with stainless when I swap out all the components. My left rear caliper is dragging, it might need a complete rebuild.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Rebuilding calipers is pretty easy nothing to worry about.

After removing the calipers from the car:

Stick a piece of wood in front of the caliper pistons, remove the bleed screw and shoot a little compressed air through the hole for the bleed screw. The pistons will pop right out (the wood will stop them from going too far).

Remove the pistons, seals and boots and carefully clean the inside of the caliper bores, if the pistons and caliper bores don't have gouges etc.. then put new seals on and lube the pistons with brake fluid and re-install them. MIght as well put them back in the same bores they came out of just to be safe. then put the new boots back on and your good to go

I think the stock pistons are just Aluminum, you can buy S/S ones from DRM if you wanted too...

When you have the caliper taken apart you can easily clean it up with brake cleaner and a wire brush (or wire wheel). Just use compressed air to blow out the passages once your finished cleaning it up and wipe the bores clean and off course be careful not to scratch the inside of the bores.

Caliper paint should work ok, I personally prefer to powder coat mine but I have a powder coat gun and an oven.

Best of luck with the caliper rebuild!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Thanks DMITTZ, process sounds the same as the Honda calipers I rebuilt a few years ago. Any other ways to get the pistons out of the bores? I used compressed air to eject the Honda pistons and it wasn't fun to have brake fluid misting in the air, I anticipated as much and was as far as the air hose would allow from the garage, still not optimal!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Ya, the brake fluid mist is not the best.

I don't know of another way to remove the caliper pistons but if someone else does I would be interested to hear it.

:
Old 02-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

My calipers were super nasty and after several cleaning attempts with simple green, eagle one, brake fluid, pressure washer and different wire brushes I ended up bead blasting them and powder coating them.
Name:  photo249.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  489.5 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Caliper Cleaning / Seal Refresh

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Cleaning / Seal Refresh