C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Issue With Radiator Fan, '87

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:39 PM
rusty76
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Issue With Radiator Fan, '87

I posted under C4 General that I'm looking at an '87. As I mentioned in that thread after returning from a test drive, with the car idling while the owner pulled a car out of his garage so we could pull the vette in to put it on the lift, the temp was creeping up. It didn't happen during the test drive, I assume (I know, ***-U & Me) it was because the car was moving and the temp didn't get high enough to need the fan.

I told the guy that he needed to work that out before I'd buy the car but I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake. This car was CLEAN. I saw nothing during my inspection, including an extremely clean underside, that gave me pause at all. It was obvious that the guy did what the car needed when it needed it.

Are there any weak spots in the wiring, temp. sensors, fan that are inherent in this year? Am I overreacting to something that I might be able to handle without much trouble?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty76
I posted under C4 General that I'm looking at an '87. As I mentioned in that thread after returning from a test drive, with the car idling while the owner pulled a car out of his garage so we could pull the vette in to put it on the lift, the temp was creeping up. It didn't happen during the test drive, I assume (I know, ***-U & Me) it was because the car was moving and the temp didn't get high enough to need the fan.

I told the guy that he needed to work that out before I'd buy the car but I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake. This car was CLEAN. I saw nothing during my inspection, including an extremely clean underside, that gave me pause at all. It was obvious that the guy did what the car needed when it needed it.

Are there any weak spots in the wiring, temp. sensors, fan that are inherent in this year? Am I overreacting to something that I might be able to handle without much trouble?
Standard these cars are set to turn the cooling fan on at 228F to 230F, what temperature was it showing on the dash? 190F to 240F is normal

The thermostat is a 190F one so you will see the temp at 190-200 on highway but climb up in stop start traffic.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:47 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

With the stock 195 t-stat and fan cooling setup, they're made to run hot for emissions purposes. If its not moving, a C4's temps will climb and climb to the fan setting.

Seems to me that what you saw was normal.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 PM
rusty76
Racer

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Standard these cars are set to turn the cooling fan on at 228F to 230F, what temperature was it showing on the dash? 190F to 240F is normal

The thermostat is a 190F one so you will see the temp at 190-200 on highway but climb up in stop start traffic.

Originally Posted by vader86
With the stock 195 t-stat and fan cooling setup, they're made to run hot for emissions purposes. If its not moving, a C4's temps will climb and climb to the fan setting.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Seems to me that what you saw was normal.
Yea, I think you guys nailed it. After I posted this thread I searched here about the cooling system and discovered exactly what you both said. I think my problem (well one of my problems anyway) is I've never seen a digital temp gauge before so what shows as 'normal' on the typical temp gauge might actually be 230 degrees.

Last edited by rusty76; 02-21-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Ok, so now go buy it!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:09 PM
rusty76
Racer

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Ok, so now go buy it!
Yea, all that's left is my concern about getting my 6'6" frame into it and still being married when I get it.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue With Radiator Fan, '87

Quick Reply: Issue With Radiator Fan, '87