C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 4+3 towing car in neutral on back wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 1987 4+3 towing car in neutral on back wheels?

Will this harm the OD unit?I got a very beat 1987 that I am building into an on/off road buggy.I want to flat tow it behind a motorhome with just a towbar.Old school stick shift cars could be towed with the trans in neutral.Has any members on here rebuilt the OD unit and know how it works?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by odxr
Will this harm the OD unit?I got a very beat 1987 that I am building into an on/off road buggy.I want to flat tow it behind a motorhome with just a towbar.Old school stick shift cars could be towed with the trans in neutral.Has any members on here rebuilt the OD unit and know how it works?
No problem will occur to the O/D unit. It's controlled by an electrical switch that turns it on or off. Being that your post sounds like you may traveling a long distance(?), because of the motor home, you may want to just flatbed the car. I was never a fan of towing any car with a towbar. It's a lot safer to tow a car flatbed style for everyone else on the road also. Good luck with your project!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Either rent a flatbed trailer or use a tow dolly that will carry the front wheels off the ground. There is no way to use a "tow bar" as there are no places to hook it up to the front of the car.

The manual trans can be left in Neutral and it won't hurt the trans or the OD. One thing you should do is to check the fluid level in the OD unit. Towing so that the rear wheels spin will also cause circulation of the ATF within the OD unit. The fluid will also run thru the two cooling lines to the radiator and back.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

What lubricates:
The tail shaft bushing
The main shaft bearings in the trans?

Does the OD unit have an oil pump for the TS bushing like a 4wd T-case? If not...

In the trans, everything is typically lubed by splash from the counter shaft gears in the sump, plus oil runs from them onto the main shaft gears and sprays everywhere. When towing, the input shaft, counter shaft and all gears are stationary. The main shaft is spinning ~3000 RPM (at hwy speed) inside the input shaft, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I don't think that the oil level is high enough to reach the spinning shift collars to sling oil. I think the bearings in the main shaft/gears will run dry eventually.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
What lubricates:
The tail shaft bushing
The main shaft bearings in the trans?

Does the OD unit have an oil pump for the TS bushing like a 4wd T-case? If not...

In the trans, everything is typically lubed by splash from the counter shaft gears in the sump, plus oil runs from them onto the main shaft gears and sprays everywhere. When towing, the input shaft, counter shaft and all gears are stationary. The main shaft is spinning ~3000 RPM (at hwy speed) inside the input shaft, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I don't think that the oil level is high enough to reach the spinning shift collars to sling oil. I think the bearings in the main shaft/gears will run dry eventually.
I agree but am not 100% sure so this really needs to be looked into.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

After checking some diagrams on the transmission design I do not believe you can tow the car with the wheels spinning for any long distance. The main shaft will be spinning but the countershaft and gears will be stopped, this will eventually cause the failure of the bearings in the stopped gears and the tailshaft housing.

The attached link shows the power flow a manual transmission (Not a Doug Nash) and you can see when the car is in neutral and the engine is off the mainshaft will be rotating and the countershaft and gears will be stopped. That means the bearing on the mainshaft gears 2, 3, and 4 will be rotating while not getting any lubrication.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtip...ons-explained/

Last edited by bjankuski; 03-01-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:54 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Never liked to flat tow a vehicle anyway without pulling the driveshaft.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
After checking some diagrams on the transmission design I do not believe you can tow the car with the wheels spinning for any long distance. The main shaft will be spinning but the countershaft and gears will be stopped, this will eventually cause the failure of the bearings in the stopped gears and the tailshaft housing.

The attached link shows the power flow a manual transmission (Not a Doug Nash) and you can see when the car is in neutral and the engine is off the mainshaft will be rotating and the countershaft and gears will be stopped. That means the bearing on the mainshaft gears 2, 3, and 4 will be rotating while not getting any lubrication.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtip...ons-explained/
The O/Ds pump is on the Tail Shaft/Out Put Shaft, so as long as the Drive shaft is moving and the Direct Clutches and other component's working correctly Fluid is sliding around the OD unit and T-10 Out board side of trans is spinning also. so all is being Lubed.

Does This Still make me a Fan of Wheels on Ground Towing for long Distance, Not Really but it can be done, but not Recommended for any Distance or Speed.

Last edited by s carter; 03-01-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:12 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Originally Posted by s carter
The O/Ds pump is on the Tail Shaft/Out Put Shaft, so as long as the Drive shaft is moving and the Direct Clutches and other component's working correctly Fluid is sliding around the OD unit and T-10 Out board side of trans is spinning also. so all is being Lubed.

Does This Still make me a Fan of Wheels on Ground Towing for long Distance, Not Really but it can be done.
This is the part that has me concerned, the countershaft is not spinning and that is what throws the oil up to lubricate the bearing in each gear on the mainshaft. The overdrive unit may be fine but the 4 speed will not be?
Old 03-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I agree. ^

Unless the oil level in the T10 is high enough to touch the shifting collars (and I don't think that it is), the bearings on the main shaft will not be lubed.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bjankuski
This is the part that has me concerned, the countershaft is not spinning and that is what throws the oil up to lubricate the bearing in each gear on the mainshaft. The overdrive unit may be fine but the 4 speed will not be?
If I not Mistaken the Direct Clutches just do a Pass Thru of OD, One simple test to put it all to rest. Get Both rear wheels off the ground. We all Know in gear the wheels will not move, so have a Friend Step on the Clutch and they move Hence a pass thru to clutch. Face it you park your car in gear it Don't Roll
Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

You're not "getting it".

You are right, that the OD does "Pass Thru" as you put it. In other words, as far as the transmission is concerned, we can simply pretend that the OD is nothing more than an output shaft. If the wheels turn, the trans main shaft will turn. No doubting that.

The problem is, in the trans, no part of the main shaft touches oil (I don't think). So...if it's turning, but not touching oil...
Old 03-01-2017, 04:26 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You're not "getting it".

You are right, that the OD does "Pass Thru" as you put it. In other words, as far as the transmission is concerned, we can simply pretend that the OD is nothing more than an output shaft. If the wheels turn, the trans main shaft will turn. No doubting that.

The problem is, in the trans, no part of the main shaft touches oil (I don't think). So...if it's turning, but not touching oil...
Your probably Rite the Counter shaft doesn't see any action in Neutral , I will admit i am having a bit of trouble running the Flow with car running counter shaft is moving. Rolling it's stopping at the Syncro's

I just remembered As a rule when I was driving a tow Truck if we were dragging a Heavy truck much more than 30 Miles on back roads or any Highway we pulled the Shaft or 1 Axle, Just for this reason.

Last edited by s carter; 03-02-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:17 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Remove the driveshaft.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 4+3 towing car in neutral on back wheels?

Quick Reply: 1987 4+3 towing car in neutral on back wheels?