C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Watcha think-new Annual Change Mobile 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

$29.00 a year for new oil is cheap and well worth it so I agree with Vader

30,000 is way to far to drive on one oil change so I agree with aklim.

Running for office can I count on your votes?

Seriously I think I got it right for my use. Engine proves it.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Dexos1 specification was revised yet again in 2015, it's called Dexos1 Gen 2. Weights are as light as 0w10 and again the focus is on fuel economy, and on low speed preignition for small turbo motors. The reason I mention this is because the Dexos2 Gen 2 spec may or may not have to do with this new Mobil 1 "annual change" product and the absence of a Dexos2 logo on the bottle, or maybe it's because each different product requires its own separate test (and license fee) to be certified Dexos1 and Mobil doesn't want to buck up for testing/licensing of every product in their Mobil 1 lineup.

Notice on this current (2015) Dexos2 list, many of the previously-compliant Dexos2 oils are no longer listed: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

It will be tough (but not impossible) for oils this light to provide good wear protection during extended drain intervals. I bet oils with the new certification are going to be expensive.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Dexos1 specification was revised yet again in 2015, it's called Dexos1 Gen 2. Weights are as light as 0w10 and again the focus is on fuel economy, and on low speed preignition for small turbo motors. The reason I mention this is because the Dexos2 Gen 2 spec may or may not have to do with this new Mobil 1 "annual change" product and the absence of a Dexos2 logo on the bottle, or maybe it's because each different product requires its own separate test (and license fee) to be certified Dexos1 and Mobil doesn't want to buck up for testing/licensing of every product in their Mobil 1 lineup.

Notice on this current (2015) Dexos2 list, many of the previously-compliant Dexos2 oils are no longer listed: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

It will be tough (but not impossible) for oils this light to provide good wear protection during extended drain intervals. I bet oils with the new certification are going to be expensive.
Triple the OCI for double the price, I'm good. Less time under the car and dumping oil, etc.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Anyone looking for just one illustration of the benefits of using synthetic oil in their vehicles only needs to read this one excerpt from;
Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life - by Curt Scott

While this seems to focus on AmsOil, the correlation between the use of AmsOil and any other quality brand of synthetic oil is in my view quite valid.

You can also find the complete article here...

Another example of the capacity of synthetic oil to deliver exceptional engine protection and performance is a recently-completed demonstration involving the Amsoil Corporation of Superior, Wisconsin, a major manufacturer of a wide range of premium synthetic oils, automatic transmission fluids, chassis lubricants, and related products. This demonstration involved the use of its 100% synthetic engine oils in a New York City taxi fleet. The test, sponsored and supervised by a major lubricant additive manufacturer, compared the overall performance capabilities of Amsoil’s 10W-40 synthetic oil with a number of leading petroleum motor oils. The demonstration was scheduled to encompass 60,000 miles of New York taxi service on each car. With the high levels of idling time typically encountered in such service, the total number of “engine miles” of each car was estimated to be about double the miles registered on its odometer.

Initially the demonstration was to have required that each taxi, equipped with a Chevrolet 229 CID V6 engine, have its oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles. But Amsoil insisted that an alteration of the test procedure be instituted. The company’s intent was to push its synthetic oil to the extreme and evaluate how it compared to the petroleum oils drained at the originally specified, 3,000 mile intervals. The twelve Amsoil-lubricated vehicles were thus divided into three groups of four taxis each. Group 1 (Amsoil) would double the control interval, with oil and filter drain at 6,000 miles; Group 2 (Amsoil) would quadruple the control interval, with oil and filter drain at 12,000 miles; and Group 3 (Amsoil) would not change the oil for the duration of the test; thus multiplying the (petroleum) Control Group’s drain-control interval by twenty times. In place of changing the oil, these (Group 3) cars would be equipped with Amsoil’s By-Pass oil filter, claimed by the company to keep (synthetic) oil analytically clean for up to 25,000 miles of driving, without replacing the element. The by-pass filter element was changed at 12,500 mile intervals for the duration of the test.

Synthetic vs petroleum carbon deposits on valves and pistonsFollowing the year-long demonstration, each of the engines was disassembled, both to determine the levels of sludge, varnish, and rust that had accumulated inside the engine, and to carefully measure the amounts of wear experienced on critical engine components. Pictured on the previous page are representative samples of various components of the test engines. In the first example, the pistons and intake valves of the petroleum Control Group (oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles) are illustrated. The lower set of photos represent the same engine components from an Amsoil Group 3 vehicle. Note the substantially reduced varnish and sludge deposits on the synthetic-oil lubricated components, and the remarkably good overall condition of the Amsoil Group 3 piston rings and valves.

To summarize the findings and conclusions, the test facility responsible for the demonstration submitted this statement: “The data presented in this report indicates that the Amsoil synthetic SAE 10W-40 passenger-car motor oil formulation…provided protection of the test engines from excessive wear and deposit formation, far beyond the normal 3,000-mile change interval.” In fact, the level of protection was such that those engines in which the original synthetic oil was run for the entire duration of the (60,000-mile) test showed less wear than did the Control Group vehicles using premium, 10W-40 petroleum oil and 3,000-mile drain intervals.

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
kenmohr (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 03:30 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Nothing beats Mobil 1

I've been using Mobil 1 on my 2003 Focus, my C7 Z06, and on The Ghost.

Here is a photo of the The Ghost's internal componets after 8 years of driving like a bat out of hell. I do 10,000~13,000 mile oil changes.

So regarding that annual Mobil 1 is irrelevant to me because the regular Mobil 1 is great enough.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PLRX
Nothing beats Mobil 1

I've been using Mobil 1 on my 2003 Focus, my C7 Z06, and on The Ghost.

Here is a photo of the The Ghost's internal componets after 8 years of driving like a bat out of hell. I do 10,000~13,000 mile oil changes.

So regarding that annual Mobil 1 is irrelevant to me because the regular Mobil 1 is great enough.
Might I remind you of the saying "one swallow doesn't a summer make" although it makes a happy guy?

This is even worse of an endorsement than the fabled fishing show people that show one motor with the snake oil and one supposedly without and teardown the motor and say "See what happens when you don't use my snake oil.". At least there are 2 motors involved.

A proper test would involve an oil analysis at the very least. A better test would have a large enough sample of motors, some with and some without to remove any bias. Google double blind study. Anything else is anecdotal.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
Might I remind you of the saying "one swallow doesn't a summer make" although it makes a happy guy?

This is even worse of an endorsement than the fabled fishing show people that show one motor with the snake oil and one supposedly without and teardown the motor and say "See what happens when you don't use my snake oil.". At least there are 2 motors involved.

A proper test would involve an oil analysis at the very least. A better test would have a large enough sample of motors, some with and some without to remove any bias. Google double blind study. Anything else is anecdotal.
well there is two for two. And if the oil was bad there would not even be one that clean.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kenmohr
well there is two for two. And if the oil was bad there would not even be one that clean.
Don't know. I have seen a clean engine run on oil which was "cheapest at the time". So when he needed an oil change, he'd find whatever was on sale.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM
kenmohr
Drifting

Don't know. I have seen a clean engine run on oil which was "cheapest at the time". So when he needed an oil change, he'd find whatever was on sale.
Don't know how many miles are on that engine but you use cheap oil and change it once a year and I can almost guarantee you will be doing an early rebuild.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Don't know how many miles are on that engine but you use cheap oil and change it once a year and I can almost guarantee you will be doing an early rebuild.
I think he went by mileage. When it was due to be changed, he run down to the local Wal-Mart or whatever and if there was a sale, he'd buy that brand. Tear apart wasn't bad. He wrecked the car and wanted to use the core for a stroker motor, hence the tear down. OTOH, if you are like another friend's wife, she just topped off the oil and dumped the car after 3 years
Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I agree, cheap oil + extended drain intervals = early rebuild needed

and just before aklim's reply above, I was gonna say I think he was changing that cheap oil more than once per year.

PLRX it's nice to see those squeaky clean internals. I am currently running my first 7,500-mile oil change with M1 in the pickup truck, was slightly nervous going beyond the mfg rec interval (5k) but your pics are encouraging. Gotta use a quality oil filter.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DGXR
I agree, cheap oil + extended drain intervals = early rebuild needed

and just before aklim's reply above, I was gonna say I think he was changing that cheap oil more than once per year.

PLRX it's nice to see those squeaky clean internals. I am currently running my first 7,500-mile oil change with M1 in the pickup truck, was slightly nervous going beyond the mfg rec interval (5k) but your pics are encouraging. Gotta use a quality oil filter.
I've never used oil color for much. Black could be dirty or maybe not in diesels, for example. I send the used oil out and they tell me what more I can get. How many ppm of what tells me it is normal wear or not. Other than that, I can make up any number of answers depending on the oil I like or not especially if I am selling it
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Might I remind you of the saying "one swallow doesn't make a summer"<---Fixed although it makes a happy guy?

Yes, I did a blackstone analysis, and it still had 20% left.

Are you a tech or something? I see you are quoting everybody

I will do a 15,000 mile change, and will not do an analysis. Do you use mobil 1?

Last edited by PLRX; 03-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PLRX
Yes, I did a blackstone analysis, and it still had 20% left.

Are you a tech or something? I see you are quoting everybody

I will do a 15,000 mile change, and will not do an analysis. Do you use mobil 1?
Yes..both my sedans but the diesel truck and car get Shell Rotella as does the C4 but not the European formula. I will be testing the 04 W220 since it is supposed to have a quality sensor to predict oil change time. We shall see if the sensor is verified by the UOA

Quick Reply: Watcha think-new Annual Change Mobile 1 ?