C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Um, are a couple of the runner to plenum bolts angled or something?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Um, are a couple of the runner to plenum bolts angled or something?

Well, I was so hoping to get the '86 running again today, but no luck! Got so damn close too! Had to take some stuff off again to get the runners and plenum back on. Last runner to plenum bolt going in just didn't feel right, so I loosened all the rest some more, but still wouldn't go in. On the runner to plenum bolts...Are the ones in the driver's rear corner, and passenger front corner angled? If so, what the hell for? I thought it might be to make the angle easier, but seems it's going the opposite direction...and why just those two?

Anyway...I didn't go in that much, but may have messed the threads up a little on that driver's rear one. I am thinking to tap it. Anyone know what size tap I need? Ugh...

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 03-20-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default same issue

Originally Posted by racerseks
Well, I was so hoping to get the '86 running again today, but no luck! Got so damn close too! Had to take some stuff off again to get the runners and plenum back on. Last runner to plenum bolt going in just didn't feel right, so I loosened all the rest some more, but still wouldn't go in. On the runner to plenum bolts...Are the ones in the driver's rear corner, and passenger front corner angled? If so, what the hell for? I thought it might be to make the angle easier, but seems it's going the opposite direction...and why just those two?

Anyway...I didn't go in that much, but may have messed the threads up a little on that driver's rear one. I am thinking to tap it. Anyone know what size tap I need? Ugh...

Thanks!
Hey, I am finding the same issue on a set of edelbrock hi flow runners going into a ported base that I am installing on my 1987 L98. It appears to me it is in the large head on the stock oem bolts. I'm going to try a set of small head 12 point bolts. Gary
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gman35
Hey, I am finding the same issue on a set of edelbrock hi flow runners going into a ported base that I am installing on my 1987 L98. It appears to me it is in the large head on the stock oem bolts. I'm going to try a set of small head 12 point bolts. Gary
Good luck...Let me know if you find out the size, so I can find a tap. Thanks...
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

not sure, but it seems to me, the two bolts that come in from the inner, opposite side, or (intake) manifold side are angled slightly. why? don't know, but I'm sure it has something with the manifold's layout.

every time I've tackled this job, I run a thread tracer to clean out all threaded holes. do not use a thread cutting tap. also clean the threads on all fastening bolts. a little anti-seize, and everything finger or hand tight first. can't say or recall having any issues. can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like you have, or are experiencing issues with the bolts or threaded holes. maybe things just need a little extra cleaning.

here's a fleabay link for a handy little set I've been using for years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/METRIC-THREA...Ol4ikQz12xHSCQ

if something doesn't feel right - STOP - drop back ten and evaluate the situation. if you have to take things apart a second time, so be it. the last thing you want to do is strip out a threaded hole in the intake or plenum. take your time, be methodical, and do not force anything!

good luck -

Last edited by Joe C; 03-20-2017 at 10:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
not sure, but it seems to me, the two bolts that come in from the inner, opposite side, or (intake) manifold side are angled slightly. why? don't know, but I'm sure it has something with the manifold's layout.

every time I've tackled this job, I run a thread tracer to clean out all threaded holes. a little anti-seize, and everything finger or hand tight first. can't say or recall having any issues. can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like you have, or are experiencing issues with the bolts or threaded holes. maybe things just need a little extra cleaning.

if something doesn't feel right - STOP - drop back ten and evaluate the situation. if you have to take things apart a second time, so be it. the last thing you want to do is strip out a threaded hole in the intake or plenum. take your time, be methodical, and do not force anything!

good luck -
Yea, it's pretty strange. They are angled in such a way that it makes it more difficult to get them in or out, as opposed to easier. I can kind of see the "reason"...I mean, I think the end of the runner mating area tapers that way...but really "why", well I don't think anyone probably knows. Doesn't seem like any purpose for it. Aesthetics? What could be appealing about a crooked bolt? Kind of reminds me of that "Oetiker" clamp on the EGR pipe...Why wouldn't they just make both ends like the intake and so people could actually service this stuff?

Everything was really good and clean, and I did use anti-seize...but I guess it went in at a bit of the wrong angle. I think I might just need to chase the threads a little. Luckily, I didn't go in all that far. Would you know the size for a tap? I read M8x1.50 somwhere. I have M8x1.25 in my set, but will get the 1.5 if I know that's definitely the right one.

I gotcha...Yea, I think I took more off today then I put on

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 03-20-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by gman35
Hey, I am finding the same issue on a set of edelbrock hi flow runners going into a ported base that I am installing on my 1987 L98. It appears to me it is in the large head on the stock oem bolts. I'm going to try set of small head 12 point bolts. Gary
ARP has a nice set of 12 points for the small block TPI -

Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Yea, it's pretty strange. They are angled in such a way that it makes it more difficult to get them in or out, as opposed to easier. I can kind of see the "reason"...I mean, I think the end of the runner mating area tapers that way...but really "why", well I don't think anyone probably knows. Doesn't seem like any purpose for it. Aesthetics? What could be appealing about a crooked bolt? Kind of reminds me of that "Oetiker" clamp on the EGR pipe...Why wouldn't they just make both ends like the intake and so people could actually service this stuff?

Everything was really good and clean, and I did use anti-seize...but I guess it went in at a bit of the wrong angle. I think I might just need to chase the threads a little. Luckily, I didn't go in all that far. Would you know the size for a tap? I read M8x1.50 somwhere. I have M8x1.25 in my set, but will get the 1.5 if I know that's definitely the right one.

I gotcha...Yea, I think I took more off today then I put on

Thanks!
off the top of my head, I think the intake/plenum bolts are M8-1.25. don't think there is a M8-1.5 thread pitch, only M8-1 and M8-1.25. M10 has 1.5, 1.25, and 1.0 thread pitch.

Last edited by Joe C; 03-20-2017 at 11:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Joe C
Race Director

...I think I took more off today then I put on

Thanks!
been there, done that (many times)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

off the top of my head, I think the intake/plenum bolts are M8-1.25. don't think there is a M8-1.5 thread pitch, only M8-1 and M8-1.25. M10 has 1.5, 1.25, and 1.0 thread pitch.
Well that would be great, since the set I have comes with 1.25. Is there any way for me to confirm? The set comes with dies as well, and none of my bolts will thread into the die part...is that right? Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

been there, done that (many times)
Yea, they can be frustrating. Seems I never have this much trouble on any other cars I have/have had, but they're not as much fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well that would be great, since the set I have comes with 1.25. Is there any way for me to confirm? The set comes with dies as well, and none of my bolts will thread into the die part...is that right? Thanks again!
M8-1.25 is correct. I just got my 87 running today for the first time in a few weeks, put in some new runner->plenum bolts myself. :-)

*Also, they might not thread because the die is trying to cut into them a bit. Same thing happens when you chase with a tap, that's why Joe C said to use a thread chaser and not a tap.

Last edited by slhawkins; 03-21-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slhawkins
M8-1.25 is correct. I just got my 87 running today for the first time in a few weeks, put in some new runner->plenum bolts myself. :-)

*Also, they might not thread because the die is trying to cut into them a bit. Same thing happens when you chase with a tap, that's why Joe C said to use a thread chaser and not a tap.
Thanks for pointing that out! Sometimes, it sure pays to take a break. Dunno how I missed that, but I used a tap. went through pretty clean, and not much material removed. Guess we'll see on my second attempt...An ebay seller might make a $40 sale. I cringe thinking if it was 1986...It'd probably set me back a couple grand, LoL...

Get notified of new replies

To Um, are a couple of the runner to plenum bolts angled or something?

Quick Reply: Um, are a couple of the runner to plenum bolts angled or something?