C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF shifter maintenance while I'm in there?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

Default ZF shifter maintenance while I'm in there?

Hi All,

I removed the console and worn out upper shift boot from my 94 this afternoon with the intent to find a replacement leather boot, which I've ordered (Aftermarket OEM look/fit).

I discovered that the lower rubber shift boot is torn, so it will also get replaced. I haven't purchased one yet but they seem very expensive for a rubber boot, Corvette tax I suppose. $40-60 aftermarket. Any other options?

The question is, with the lower shift boot off the car should I lube or service any part of the shifter? I don't have any problems but am thinking in terms of "while I'm in there." Do the linkages use bushings? Are they rubber? I have a tiny bit of forward/backward play in any gear but it's nothing I'd consider out of the ordinary and on par with every other stickshift car I've owned. I'm content with the throw of the shifter and not looking to change to a short throw.

Suppose I'll ask another question - from what I read the factory installed lower shift boot is glued to the fiberglass (in addition to the 4 nuts). What adhesive have you all used on replacement?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:03 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Hi All,

I removed the console and worn out upper shift boot from my 94 this afternoon with the intent to find a replacement leather boot, which I've ordered (Aftermarket OEM look/fit).

I discovered that the lower rubber shift boot is torn, so it will also get replaced. I haven't purchased one yet but they seem very expensive for a rubber boot, Corvette tax I suppose. $40-60 aftermarket. Any other options?

The question is, with the lower shift boot off the car should I lube or service any part of the shifter? I don't have any problems but am thinking in terms of "while I'm in there." Do the linkages use bushings? Are they rubber? I have a tiny bit of forward/backward play in any gear but it's nothing I'd consider out of the ordinary and on par with every other stickshift car I've owned. I'm content with the throw of the shifter and not looking to change to a short throw.
well first of all up until a couple of years ago, that lower rubber boot wasn't even available...

yes the shifter assembly mounts to the trans with a couple of small rubber donuts, but there is nothing rubber in the linkage itself, however these do delaminate over time.

Bill Bourdeau at ZFdoc can rebush and rebuild this assembly and it is possible (I'm told) to remove it with the transmission in the car; I did mine with the trans out.

you may want to read my reply of todays date on "Bleeding the clutch on a C4; all the details are there.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 03-22-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:02 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

Thank you for the reply and pointing me to your post on the bleeding clutch thread. I read through your email exhchange with Bill (thanks for posting that!) and found the bit about the shifter. I had a little trouble visualizing it but it was 6am and I was not with the car or FSM. I'll need to take another read through this evening when I have more time to comprehend it and look at the car.

Maybe you can answer - what is the shifter bellows lower tie wrap?

I ordered a new lower shift boot last night as that was the driving reason behind this thread. From what I can see and previously read, it is secured by 4 nuts and bonded to the fiberglass as well. What and where is this tie wrap securing the lower boot? On reinstall did you use new adhesive?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 623 Likes on 485 Posts

On my '96 the rubber boot (under the leather one and above the fiberglass tunnel) was not glued. It was something worse. It was a gooey tar like stuff.

I could separate the boot from the tunnel by hand by pulling at the edge. The edge of the boot fits over a lip on the tunnel, so pull the boot slightly outward and up. If you get it started at one point, keep working it from that point around the edge of the boot until it is all off. On mine there was no tie strap for this boot. I think the tie straps are around the "boot" that fits around the lower section of the shifter that is under the tunnel. I did not remove that.

My biggest problem was that at the driver's side of the boot, the edge of the console is very close to the boot and restricts access to work the boot off or on the lip on the tunnel. I flexed the edge of the console slightly (be careful not to break it) and used a popsicle stick and some screw drivers to work the boot back over the tunnel lip. For me this was a frustrating experience and was tough for me to do. On my flywheel/clutch/transmission job, this was about the most difficult thing.

Just take your time and don't loose patience with it. It can be done and seated back around the tunnel lip.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp

Maybe you can answer - what is the shifter bellows lower tie wrap?

I ordered a new lower shift boot last night as that was the driving reason behind this thread. From what I can see and previously read, it is secured by 4 nuts and bonded to the fiberglass as well. What and where is this tie wrap securing the lower boot? On reinstall did you use new adhesive?
the "shifter bellows tie wrap" as follows: the shifter stalk goes down through the inner (lower) rubber boot which you are replacing, to its fulcrum, then connects to a horizontal rod with small u joints that goes into the transmission case itself and activates the internal shifter rails; the shifter bellows is a rubber cup shaped dust cover that enclosed this rod and is secured with a small tie wrap.

I forget what I used as an "adhesive" but I believe it was a black RTV silicone weather sealant...oh, and take your time and be patient working the new boot into place...don't try to force it with a screw driver!

Last edited by mtwoolford; 03-22-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZF shifter maintenance while I'm in there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZF shifter maintenance while I'm in there?