C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR System

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default EGR System

This is the EGR tubing on my passenger side exhaust. It has a cut out section missing which was spliced with rubber hose and covered in insulation. I discovered this when the brittle hose piece blew out creating a loud exhaust leak. Am I missing a piece there, like a valve? The driver's side has a check valve.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

You can see in the first picture the rubber hose sticking out from under the insulation. Second pic is drivers side valve and there is another valve behind the intake manifold but the passenger side tubing goes straight into the intake manifold. Seems like it shouldn't be just straight tubing from the exhaust to the intake on the passenger side.

Last edited by Natrlone93; 03-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:26 AM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like someone did a quick fix when they were installing the headers.

The proper fix is to remove the EGR pipe and have the missing section heli-arc welded back in to make up the difference.

You will have to do some measuring first to ensure proper fitment. Remove the hose, take a measurement, then remove and have fabricated.

Unfortunately some headers are not made to fit according to stock.

The EGR pipe can be removed with a sink basin wrench. Just make sure to use some PB blaster first. Once removed take it to someone who can weld. I went to a local machinist when I had mine done on my 93. I had installed Doug's shorty headers.

The AIR valves you have are in the correct spot.

Last edited by armysnipe; 03-23-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: adding missing information
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Originally Posted by armysnipe
Looks like someone did a quick fix when they were installing the headers.

The proper fix is to remove the EGR pipe and have the missing section heli-arc welded back in to make up the difference.

You will have to do some measuring first to ensure proper fitment. Remove the hose, take a measurement, then remove and have fabricated.

Unfortunately some headers are not made to fit according to stock.

The EGR pipe can be removed with a sink basin wrench. Just make sure to use some PB blaster first. Once removed take it to someone who can weld. I went to a local machinist when I had mine done on my 93. I had installed Doug's shorty headers.

The AIR valves you have are in the correct spot.

It was like that before the header install. Here's the thing. My passenger side catalytic was blown out when I bought the car. With the supercharger I figure when it kicks in and my intake is now positive pressure, without a check it was blowing fresh 02 back into the exhaust and to the cat and burning hotter than it should. Feasible?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure on your theory, maybe someone will chime in.

My solution was to delete the AIR system and CATS as I wanted a cleaner look. I have a supercharger also.

Like you I had a CAT blow out, but on the drivers side. My passenger side was still okay. I was running stock replacement magna flows with a working AIR system. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Originally Posted by armysnipe
Not sure on your theory, maybe someone will chime in.

My solution was to delete the AIR system and CATS as I wanted a cleaner look. I have a supercharger also.

Like you I had a CAT blow out, but on the drivers side. My passenger side was still okay. I was running stock replacement magna flows with a working AIR system. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

I'm wanting to delete the AIR system as well but was wondering about the codes and if you had to program anything to avoid them. I deleted the cats when I put the new exhaust system on.

Last edited by Natrlone93; 03-23-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:31 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I wish I could be of more help at the moment.

Im still in the reassembly process. I've done the CAT / EGR / AIR / ASR delete, but haven't had the car running since.

However, I am working with a tuner for my set up. I'm running a Moates Ostrich so I can manipulate my tune.

I'm waiting on my headers to return from the coater then I have to finish fitting my exhaust. Once everything is back together and running I'll be working on the tune.

It'll be a few weeks before I can give you any feedback. , I'll have to get back to you.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR System

Quick Reply: EGR System