C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Pad Doesn't Cover Rotor Sufficiently

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM
c4urself
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Pad Doesn't Cover Rotor Sufficiently

All

I just had new Rotors, Calipers and Pads installed on all 4 wheels of my 1985 Vette . It seems like the pads only cover about 1/2 the surface area of the rotor. This doesn't seem correct to me. I feel the pad should take advantage of all the exposed area of the rotor. How is this remedied? I have included a STOCK image... (this is not a photo of my wheel, but I see this setup has the same situation).

Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

it's the way they are. If you notice how caliper is designed, the piston would not be centered on a pad that covers more rotor surface.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

The mechanical advantage of disc brakes is having the pads as far to the outside of the rotor as possible. Yes you gain more pad area going lower, but the gains are minimal.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:19 PM
c4urself
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevova
it's the way they are. If you notice how caliper is designed, the piston would not be centered on a pad that covers more rotor surface.
So you're saying, a different set of calipers would center on the pad differently and perhaps give better coverage. OK, I would think this has been covered before, has anyone ever suggested a caliper that positions the pad better?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM
c4urself
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kubs
The mechanical advantage of disc brakes is having the pads as far to the outside of the rotor as possible. Yes you gain more pad area going lower, but the gains are minimal.
I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in that at all. If a pad grabs more area on the rotor, perhaps up to 50% more, how could the gains be minimal?

Most of todays disc brakes that I've witnessed, I see the entire surface of the rotor being used.

The entire surface of the rotor is being utilized... for better stopping results.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 PM
c4urself
Intermediate

I've annotated the photo to show where I think the brake pads should be grabbing. On my 1985 c4 with new rotors, pads, and calipers, only half of that rotor area is being used.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Looks like the rotor to a Honda or Toyota.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c4urself
I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in that at all. If a pad grabs more area on the rotor, perhaps up to 50% more, how could the gains be minimal?

Most of todays disc brakes that I've witnessed, I see the entire surface of the rotor being used.

The entire surface of the rotor is being utilized... for better stopping results.

Think of it as trying to loosen a really tight bolt. Do you use a short handle ratchet or a long handle? You use the long handle because it requires less force on the end of the handle to apply the same amount of torque to the bolt. Same with the brakes. The axle is the bolt and the rotor is your handle length. Keeping the pad on the outside increases your mechanical advantage. The pad closer to the center will require more clamping force to achieve the same torque reduction as the pad on the outer part. I didn't say it wouldn't help at all, but the benefit is so low you are just wasting pad material at that point.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM
c4urself
Intermediate

I see your point. Do your own rotors show only 1/2 pad contact?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

I no longer have a typical C4 setup, but yes pretty much anything from the late '80s to present will show less pad coverage radially, but will probably be longer. Having a longer pad that covers more area at the edge of the diameter is beneficial.
The following users liked this post:
c4urself (03-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Doesn't Cover Rotor Sufficiently

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Doesn't Cover Rotor Sufficiently