C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

temp gets hot in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 PM
robertm1958
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp gets hot in traffic

Hello again everyone!
It seems my 94 is getting hot in traffic. Open road it's fine. Any answers as to what may the problem or problems? Please feel free to list any and all possible parts that I may need. I will change all if needed. Thank You!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:14 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

What do you consider hot? I believe fans kick on around 220 which is normal.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by robertm1958
Hello again everyone!
It seems my 94 is getting hot in traffic. Open road it's fine. Any answers as to what may the problem or problems? Please feel free to list any and all possible parts that I may need. I will change all if needed. Thank You!
Lots to check and I'd think it wise to get your hands on an FSM so that you can do some diagnostics then check and confirm your findings. Much depends on the quality of the cooling components, coolant and system maintenance. If you don't know that it's been serviced recently I'd think you do it, check for trash in the cooling module etc. I wouldn't throw parts at it but check and do maintenance related items that you can't confirm. The fans in a '94 I believe are multi-stage so anything is likely possible.

You're comment is based upon the cluster analogue gauge or based on maybe the digital function through the cluster that actually reports what the PCM sees? The analogue is know to be very inaccurate.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robertm1958
Hello again everyone!

Hi Robertm. I think I may be having a heating problem also, and am anxious to hear what response you get. Everyone is going to tell you that the LT1 runs hot: primary fan comes on at 228 and Secondary at 238, clean the debris out of the radiator, etc, etc. I have a 180 stat. and going down the road at 50mph in 80 degree weather, I see 210 temp on digital gauge. I think that is too hot. I have the radiator out right now and am contemplating getting a new 2 row aluminum one. My old one appears to be new OEM, so PO must have had heating problems in Phoenix AZ ??

So...Have you flushed the system and cleaned the debris between the radiator and a/c condenser ??
Old 03-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by geb@abq
Hi Robertm. I think I may be having a heating problem also, and am anxious to hear what response you get. Everyone is going to tell you that the LT1 runs hot: primary fan comes on at 228 and Secondary at 238, clean the debris out of the radiator, etc, etc. I have a 180 stat. and going down the road at 50mph in 80 degree weather, I see 210 temp on digital gauge. I think that is too hot. I have the radiator out right now and am contemplating getting a new 2 row aluminum one. My old one appears to be new OEM, so PO must have had heating problems in Phoenix AZ ??

So...Have you flushed the system and cleaned the debris between the radiator and a/c condenser ??

I OE radiator cools fine for a stock motor. Personally I would not replace the radiator unless yours leaks or you have a spare $500.
In 80F Temps and doing anything above 20mph my car never sees over 200.
Now in traffic that's a different story. Turning your ac on turns the fans on and will keep the Temps below 210 in traffic.
In one of my lt4s I have a switch that I manually control the fans and in the other lt4 I have the computer reprogrammed.

A good coolant flush can make a world of a difference.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Again how hot
If youre just looking at the gauge youll think its going to pop
theres a way to pull it up on thedigtital readout but its been too long cant recall.
Those cars ran too friggin hot in the name of emissions for the day no car needs to run 230 240 fries everything under the hood
Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Again how hot
If youre just looking at the gauge youll think its going to pop
theres a way to pull it up on thedigtital readout but its been too long cant recall.

OP, read this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...peratures.html

Until a temp reading from the digital temp gauge is posted, nobody will know if it is too hot or not.

Post the reading from the digital gauge.

That analog gauge does not have a linear scale and will have to believe your overheating every time the car stops.
If the needle isn't into the shaded area on the gauge, the car isn't overheating.

Last edited by RollaMo-LT4; 03-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I'd scan the ECM and hit the ECM temp sensor with an IR thermometer to see if they are close. If they are, scan the radiator for cold spots. Assuming you have no debris in the radiator and condenser.

Get notified of new replies

To temp gets hot in traffic

Quick Reply: temp gets hot in traffic