C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any battery experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... How about checking with the folks that sold you the battery ? Duralast = Autozone ? .....
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (03-27-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
Fairly certain these are maintenance free batteries. I have a Duralast that's probably about 6 years old now and it's been fine, they are not bad batteries. This battery has 3 year free replacement so you can take it back to Autozone for them to check out, but I would be surprised if the battery is bad.

If you park the car over the winter and can't trickle charge I suggest a quick disconnect ****. I use one, they work great. The car will draw about 30mA of power, so over a few months that can cause the battery charge to drop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Disc...RUpPLT&vxp=mtr
Thank you for answering the OP's question! Even though he asked 4 or 5 times, it took 20 posts for him to get his answer. I know nothing of these batteries or I would have answered his question in post #2.
racerseks (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:44 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a Duralast Gold in my C4. In fact, the last two have been DLG's. I have never had a reason to believe that they are a "maintenance-free" battery.
It is my understanding that no battery that has removable fill caps is a true maintenance-free battery.
racerseks (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
Duralast is made by Johnson Controls, same as Diehard and a lot of private label brands.
As they say, the devil is in the details. That 2 batteries are made by Johnson Controls means nothing to me. Wouldn't even matter if the came out of the same factory. Private Label means I make something and slap your label on it. It doesn't mean made to the same specs.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I am on my second duralast gold, they are NOT a maintinence free battery I have added distilled (only distilled no smoking by the way) to the bottom of the plastic so you see the marble effect. You will pep up your battery again. They are ok batteries and I like the warranty.
rocco16 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... How about checking with the folks that sold you the battery ? Duralast = Autozone ? .....
I did do that the next day, but was hoping to get it charged that night. Went with my gut, and everything worked out fine...thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arbee
Thank you for answering the OP's question! Even though he asked 4 or 5 times, it took 20 posts for him to get his answer. I know nothing of these batteries or I would have answered his question in post #2.
Oh, man...too funny! I thought I was going nuts! It got pretty off topic, and everyone was telling me to just trash the battery! I guess no one knows how to tell...but I appreciate the comments all the same guys. I made up my own mind on how to tell myself, whether right or wrong...and just charged it. Worked out fine.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:27 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rocco16
I have a Duralast Gold in my C4. In fact, the last two have been DLG's. I have never had a reason to believe that they are a "maintenance-free" battery.
It is my understanding that no battery that has removable fill caps is a true maintenance-free battery.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:28 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xrav22
I am on my second duralast gold, they are NOT a maintinence free battery I have added distilled (only distilled no smoking by the way) to the bottom of the plastic so you see the marble effect. You will pep up your battery again. They are ok batteries and I like the warranty.

Yea, I can't really complain. Three years is pretty good, and they've never given me problems with the warranty...
Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Fairly certain these are maintenance free batteries. I have a Duralast that's probably about 6 years old now and it's been fine, they are not bad batteries. This battery has 3 year free replacement so you can take it back to Autozone for them to check out, but I would be surprised if the battery is bad.

If you park the car over the winter and can't trickle charge I suggest a quick disconnect ****. I use one, they work great. The car will draw about 30mA of power, so over a few months that can cause the battery charge to drop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Disc...RUpPLT&vxp=mtr
Yea, they are not bad batteries. I have a C4 that sits a lot. so I would know! For God's sake, I keep an 8mm open end wrench on my keychain, LoL...

I gotta say, they do stand behind their warranty.

I had a quick-disconnect on it, but wasn't comfortable with how cramped it was in there. That's when I put the 8mm open end on my keychain, ha ha...Sure sign of a C-4 man!

Thanks for your comments...
Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

I'll t you all know if it doesn't hold a charge...
Old 03-28-2017, 02:38 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
According to customer service (I was curious myself since I use Duralast and called) both JC and Autozone claim that all Duralast batteries are maintenance free even though they have vent caps.

Last edited by bac22; 03-28-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

According to customer service (I was curious myself since I use Duralast and called) both JC and Autozone claim that all Duralast batteries are maintenance free even though they have vent caps.
It comes as no surprise to me...Autozone told me the exact opposite. It's why I never trust just one opinion or statement on anything...
Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
It comes as no surprise to me...Autozone told me the exact opposite. It's why I never trust just one opinion or statement on anything...
I've always figured that if the battery has removable caps, it's not maintenance free....but i've only tested that for 30 years so I could be wrong.
Get yourself a Battery Tender while you have the battery out of the car, they come with a quick connect pigtail. I've used Battery Tenders for years on hot rods, motorcycles and most any equipment that has to go unused for any length of time. Here's a link to the one I buy, You can get them cheaper at Amazon or CycleGear...usually around 40 to 50 bucks.

http://products.batterytender.com/Ch...derR-Plus.html

later, tiny
racerseks (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
I've always figured that if the battery has removable caps, it's not maintenance free....but i've only tested that for 30 years so I could be wrong.
Get yourself a Battery Tender while you have the battery out of the car, they come with a quick connect pigtail. I've used Battery Tenders for years on hot rods, motorcycles and most any equipment that has to go unused for any length of time. Here's a link to the one I buy, You can get them cheaper at Amazon or CycleGear...usually around 40 to 50 bucks.

http://products.batterytender.com/Ch...derR-Plus.html

later, tiny

You're definitely onto something, man! Thanks...I'll check out your link, but I am pretty fond of having that 8mm on my keychain. Been there for years now...

Just checked out your link..Sorry, I thought it was a disconnect. Will check it out...thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 03-28-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 AM
Diesel_Jerry
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

found this http://www.bestcovery.com/duralast-gold-car-battery the review says maintaince free.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Diesel_Jerry
found this http://www.bestcovery.com/duralast-gold-car-battery the review says maintaince free.
Thanks for posting. Just one of those things, man. I hate how horribly inconsistent things can be sometimes when you're trying to find an answer. I'm sure this is another 50/50 split that will never come to resolve. I've made up my mind on what I'm gonna choose to believe, ha ha...

Get notified of new replies

To Any battery experts here?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

And to confuse things more, on their website, Autozone lists their "Platinum Series" as "Maintenance Free", yet mention nothing for their gold series.

You'd think they'd label them on the battery itself. Probably never thought of it...comical.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:20 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Here in the UK, we all use Tayna to supply batteries on our American cars as they walk the walk.. (apart from Optima which seem to have problems and we avoid them)

https://www.tayna.co.uk/American-Car...es-S701-1.html

and we use these tenders..

https://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5.0...5.0-P8692.html
Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Connect a volt meter & charge @ 50 amps for ten minutes. If voltage exceeds 16V while charging the battery is sulfating = it will die soon.

Load test: 200 amp draw for 15 seconds. If 10.8V or better after 15 seconds = good to go. If less than 10.8V after 15 seconds recharge then load test again. If less than 10.8V the second time replace the battery.

Good luck
racerseks (03-31-2017)

Quick Reply: Any battery experts here?