C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any battery experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Any battery experts here?

Okay, well I tried to start my car. It's been sitting since November. After two cranks, it died. Sounded like it was real close to catching, but through for the night. Checked my battery with a multimeter, and it reads 11.85v. Seems like it would be enough, but after two cranks, that was it. Any opinions on that?

Also, I went through the old take-the-gill-off procedure, and took the battery out. Man, that's one I have a lot of experience with, LoL...and I am planning to charge it...but here's my question...

It's a Duralast Gold...does not say "maintenance free" anywhere on it, but it does have fill caps on top. (Yes, many say those are just for venting). Seems a lot of people ask this, but no definitive answers, just the 50/50 split I am oh-so-fond of. Anyone know what I should set my charger at? Conventional or Maintenance Free?

Hoping to put it on overnight, and try again tomorrow...

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:44 PM
94VenomVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
Okay, well I tried to start my car. It's been sitting since November. After two cranks, it died. Sounded like it was real close to catching, but through for the night. Checked my battery with a multimeter, and it reads 11.85v. Seems like it would be enough, but after two cranks, that was it. Any opinions on that?

Also, I went through the old take-the-gill-off procedure, and took the battery out. Man, that's one I have a lot of experience with, LoL...and I am planning to charge it...but here's my question...

It's a Duralast Gold...does not say "maintenance free" anywhere on it, but it does have fill caps on top. (Yes, many say those are just for venting). Seems a lot of people ask this, but no definitive answers, just the 50/50 split I am oh-so-fond of. Anyone know what I should set my charger at? Conventional or Maintenance Free?

Thanks!
Duralast is garbage. Set it to a trickle for overnight...what kind of charger do you have
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks!
Hi

How old is the battery, usually a few years is the life on average for a standard lead acid battery.

Even less from my company vehicle example, a new daily use car will usually need a battery withing two years ...... this has happened to me so many times.

If it is kept charged and used regularly, now a neglected and a battery left to slowly deeply discharge will never be the same.
Never the less it should show 12-13 volts on your multi meter, remember if it falls below 10.5 volts the cranking will stop.

Charge the battery and if it shows 12-13 volts you will be good to go, otherwise change the battery.

I recommend a yellow top optima battery for a vette not used regularly, they bounce back from being completely discharged to good as new.
Have had my optima for around 7 or 8 years now, love it

Note ... most battery chargers will not charge a battery below 10.5 volts, you need to hook parallel to another battery to charge it.
That sometimes gives batteries a bad name...

Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94VenomVette
Duralast is garbage. Set it to a trickle for overnight...what kind of charger do you have
I gotta say, the Duralasts have been very good about honoring their warranty. Have had them give me a new battery, no questions asked, as long as it's within the period...and also have been prorated in other cases. Now one that I have had a very bad time with is any battery made by Exide. Most of mine have gone bad before the warranty is out, and have never been compensated.

I have a couple of chargers. Usually use my Sears Die Hard. Do you know if the Duralast is maintenance Free? Need to know what setting to put the charger on. Thanks.

Last edited by racerseks; 03-24-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

How old is the battery, usually a few years is the life on average for a standard lead acid battery.

Even less from my company vehicle example, a new daily use car will usually need a battery withing two years ...... this has happened to me so many times.

If it is kept charged and used regularly, now a neglected and a battery left to slowly deeply discharge will never be the same.
Never the less it should show 12-13 volts on your multi meter, remember if it falls below 10.5 volts the cranking will stop.

Charge the battery and if it shows 12-13 volts you will be good to go, otherwise change the battery.

I recommend a yellow top optima battery for a vette not used regularly, they bounce back from being completely discharged to good as new.
Have had my optima for around 7 or 8 years now, love it

Note ... most battery chargers will not charge a battery below 10.5 volts, you need to hook parallel to another battery to charge it.
That sometimes gives batteries a bad name...

It's about 2 and a half years old.

yea, I plan to charge it tonight. Just trying to find out if it's maintenance free or not so I know what to set the charger on. Would you know?...Or how I can tell...

Will change it if need be, but just hoping to start it for now.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Duralast is made by Johnson Controls, same as Diehard and a lot of private label brands. All semi-modern cars have electronics that is always on and will run a battery down over time. A float charger will keep them healthy while in storage.
The voltage at rest means little. Turn the headlights on and see what it is. It probably needs a good charge. A normal lead acid battery should last 3-4 years, however deep discharges do shorten their lives especially if left discharged for an extended period.
It does not need water.

Last edited by jv9999; 03-24-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:04 PM
94VenomVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about settings with it. Just put it on the lowest setting overnight if you feel fine doing so and let it charge. It's most likely a standard flooded cell battery. You could set the initial charge for 15Amps and see what it reads on the charger and then back it down to a trickle normally 2A overnight
Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jv9999
Duralast is made by Johnson Controls, same as Diehard and a lot of private label brands. All semi-modern cars have electronics that is always on and will run a battery down over time. A float charger will keep them healthy while in storage.
The voltage at rest means little. Turn the headlights on and see what it is. It probably needs a good charge. A normal lead acid battery should last 3-4 years, however deep discharges do shorten their lives especially if left discharged for an extended period.
It does not need water.
Yea, I disconnect mine when it sits. Usually serves me well, but been a bit longer this time. Unfortunately, best I can do...no garage here, as my paint job will show (In Florida...Ouch!) Would you know how to tell if it's maintenance free? Just like to know what setting to put my charger on. Thanks...
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94VenomVette
I wouldn't worry too much about settings with it. Just put it on the lowest setting overnight if you feel fine doing so and let it charge. It's most likely a standard flooded cell battery. You could set the initial charge for 15Amps and see what it reads on the charger and then back it down to a trickle normally 2A overnight
It has a "conventional" and "maintenance free" setting. Would it be dangerous or cause any harm to the battery if I have that setting in the wrong place? It also has 2/10/50 amp settings. Any idea how long each might take,. and what the advantages are of each? I am assuming the 50amp is out...

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 03-25-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
It does not need water.
Johnson Controls?!?!?! Uh oh......gonna have to find some made by others. Can't be supporting the enemy.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:48 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It has a "conventional" and "maintenance free" setting. It also has 2/10/50 amp settings.
So no tech manual on the charger? Is this your charger:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50...-02871222000P#

If your charger is several years old, the terminology might be confusing. I'm going to guess the "Maintenance Free" setting may be referring to the charger internal control, rather than to the battery. Does your charger say "Automatic" on it? In the "Maint. Free" position, the charger may automatically reduce to a trickle charge when it detects the battery is fully charged. In the "Conventional" position, the charge will be continuous, rather than automatic. (Merely my half-educated prognostication!)

A "Maintenance Free" battery has a catalyst in the cell caps that converts the hydrogen gas that is created during the charge/discharge cycles back into water, which is returned to each cell. Therefore "Maintenance Free" batteries don't need to have water added to the cells as often. Internally, the cell construction isn't much different than a standard lead/acid battery. All Corvette batteries need water (so far!). If you can remove the cell caps, it's good to check the fluid level (H2SO4 + H2O). Lots of perfectly good batteries get discarded merely because they have been run low of water.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:13 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
So no tech manual on the charger? Is this your charger:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50...-02871222000P#

If your charger is several years old, the terminology might be confusing. I'm going to guess the "Maintenance Free" setting may be referring to the charger internal control, rather than to the battery. Does your charger say "Automatic" on it? In the "Maint. Free" position, the charger may automatically reduce to a trickle charge when it detects the battery is fully charged. In the "Conventional" position, the charge will be continuous, rather than automatic. (Merely my half-educated prognostication!)

A "Maintenance Free" battery has a catalyst in the cell caps that converts the hydrogen gas that is created during the charge/discharge cycles back into water, which is returned to each cell. Therefore "Maintenance Free" batteries don't need to have water added to the cells as often. Internally, the cell construction isn't much different than a standard lead/acid battery. All Corvette batteries need water (so far!). If you can remove the cell caps, it's good to check the fluid level (H2SO4 + H2O). Lots of perfectly good batteries get discarded merely because they have been run low of water.

Yes, I have the manual for it...but really just trying to determine which setting to out it on, as my battery does not say whether or not it is maintenance free. Any idea how I determine that?

The charger I am using looks similar to that one. I have a larger one, but unable to access it right now.

No, it does not say "automatic" on it...
Yes, I have checked, and the water level is good.

If you know of a way for me to determine if my battery is "maintenance free" or "conventional" please let me know. I figured if the caps came off to add water, it would be conventional, but seems that is not always the case.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 03-25-2017, 03:03 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Weak batteries can cause lots of weirdo problems in these cars

Even on a carbed car anything less than full voltage even if it started gave running issues. Toss that pos and get a new one dont screw with it.

move on enjoy that car!!!
If it still persists pull fuses til you find the draw(bet you dont)
Cars are meant to be driven. Can store but dont overthink this
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Weak batteries can cause lots of weirdo problems in these cars

Even on a carbed car anything less than full voltage even if it started gave running issues. Toss that pos and get a new one dont screw with it.

move on enjoy that car!!!
If it still persists pull fuses til you find the draw(bet you dont)
Cars are meant to be driven. Can store but dont overthink this
Well, the thing is I don't think the battery is bad. The car has sat before, and after I charge the battery, it's fine again. I'm really just trying to determine if my battery is "maintenance free" or "conventional", but no one seems to know how to determine that, so I guess I'm not alone.

If I charge it and it doesn't hold a charge, I'll consider buying a new one. It just seems a bit early to do that, seeing as it was sitting out there for months, and may very well be fine with a charge as it seems to have done before.

If you know how to determine if it's "maintenance free" or "conventional", I'd appreciate it. If not, it's cool...nothing wrong with not knowing. At this point, I'm inclined to see if any answers anyone provides regarding making this determination are the same, as it seems there's not a lot of info and/or knowledge determining this.

Appreciate your thoughts just the same...

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 03-25-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:13 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Default Condensed version of my question...

I think I may have been too "wordy" in my initial post, and it seems this got a bit off-topic. I'll try again and condense my question.

I want to try charging my battery. My charger has two settings..."Maintenance free" and "Conventional". How do I determine which I have so I can set my charger accordingly? If no one knows, that's fine. No harm done. Thank you...
Old 03-25-2017, 04:58 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

I think I may have been too "wordy" in my initial post, and it seems this got a bit off-topic. I'll try again and condense my question.

I want to try charging my battery. My charger has two settings..."Maintenance free" and "Conventional". How do I determine which I have so I can set my charger accordingly? If no one knows, that's fine. No harm done. Thank you...
Is this your battery?

http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-au...p-02850875000P
Old 03-25-2017, 05:25 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
No, it's a Duralast Gold. Thanks...

Get notified of new replies

To Any battery experts here?

Old 03-25-2017, 05:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

No, it's a Duralast Gold. Thanks...
Sorry - I saw "Die Hard" mentioned in an earlier post but I see that's maybe your charger! Yours is the AZ - no help
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Sorry - I saw "Die Hard" mentioned in an earlier post but I see that's maybe your charger! Yours is the AZ - no help
Yes, that's right...Autozone Duralast Gold Battery, and Sears Die Hard Battery Charger. Thanks for your effort!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:23 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Fairly certain these are maintenance free batteries. I have a Duralast that's probably about 6 years old now and it's been fine, they are not bad batteries. This battery has 3 year free replacement so you can take it back to Autozone for them to check out, but I would be surprised if the battery is bad.

If you park the car over the winter and can't trickle charge I suggest a quick disconnect ****. I use one, they work great. The car will draw about 30mA of power, so over a few months that can cause the battery charge to drop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Disc...RUpPLT&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Any battery experts here?