C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

instrument cluster 88 c4 question

Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 PM
foreveraudio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster 88 c4 question

just was curious - on my 88 c4 chevy sent my cluster off to be rebuilt -

before and even after I noticed the lights in it are sometimes super bright like normal and sometimes dull or faint -

what other causes could lead to this '

and also I just replaced my exaust manifold gaskets and sometimes when reving in park in my garage I hear a slight pop, could a slight leak in the donut gasket cause a pop occasionally on the start of a rev

thanks all
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by foreveraudio
just was curious - on my 88 c4 chevy sent my cluster off to be rebuilt -

before and even after I noticed the lights in it are sometimes super bright like normal and sometimes dull or faint -

what other causes could lead to this
You do realize that the cluster responds to ambient light sensor - brighter typically in very bright daylight conditions and dim in lower light conditions. Is your issue when park or headlamps are on only or both daytime and "lights on" operation.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-25-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:49 PM
foreveraudio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You do realize that the cluster responds to ambient light sensor - brighter typically in very bright daylight conditions and dim in lower light conditions. Is your issue when park or headlamps are on only or both daytime and "lights on" operation.
problem is various, and seems like when its bright it looks great, but when dimming, one side seems morel it then the other, and this is without headlights on - turning headlights on does not change it
almost seems like maybe voltage related, but I'm not sure
Old 03-25-2017, 03:21 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

problem is various, and seems like when its bright it looks great, but when dimming, one side seems morel it then the other, and this is without headlights on - turning headlights on does not change it
Who did your cluster rebuild/ You might want to quiz them on exactly what they did! Did you ask them to check and report OR did you just ask that they correct a particular issue?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Bulbs? Light sensor?

Did you have the bulbs changed? It's possible that there is corrosion on the pads/holders where the bulbs make contact. Could produce those symptoms. A cold solder on the light sensor could as well.

Get notified of new replies

To instrument cluster 88 c4 question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: instrument cluster 88 c4 question