C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tune up question- plugs & wires L98 1991

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 AM
4xcontractor
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune up question- plugs & wires L98 1991

Any advice on using aftermarket part for a tune up over AC Delco on the l98 engine, reading on Amazon a few people are unhappy with the OEM wires as they are more of a generic fit, some a little long and one a little short. Plugs, wires, cap & rotor are on the agenda. I like to use OEM usually, but if there is somthing better, I'm not opposed to the car running better.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:30 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by 4xcontractor
Any advice on using aftermarket part for a tune up over AC Delco on the l98 engine, reading on Amazon a few people are unhappy with the OEM wires as they are more of a generic fit, some a little long and one a little short. Plugs, wires, cap & rotor are on the agenda. I like to use OEM usually, but if there is somthing better, I'm not opposed to the car running better.
I don't believe it will run better. With say going to the thicker MSD ones, you can run then in a way you prefer.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I've replaced the plug wires, cap, rotor and coil with ac delco parts and haven't had any issues. Reviews can be good or bad depending upon the competency of the reviewer. There have been many bad reviews given by complete imbeciles. I'd guess they probably got the wrong wire set or put the wires on the wrong cylinders. I always cross reference part numbers on amazon with rock auto. Doing this is quick and it's never let me down.

Last edited by Dt86; 03-25-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

FWIW, taylor 8mm silicone here. installed several (i'm thinking 4 to date), corvette L98 sets, and near perfect fit - fit as good if not better than delco service replacement sets. lengths are almost dead nuts, on the money if routed to factory configuration - about $55 - summit racing -
The following users liked this post:
4xcontractor (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
I've replaced the plug wires, cap, rotor and coil with ac delco parts and haven't had any issues. Reviews can be good or bad depending upon the competency of the reviewer. There have been many bad reviews given by complete imbeciles. I'd guess they probably got the wrong wire set or put the wires on the wrong cylinders. I always cross reference part numbers on amazon with rock auto. Doing this is quick and it's never let me down.
Well, if you don't go aftermarket, you will not be able have the fancy sticker. Each is worth about 10 HP. I'd just buy what is decent quality for the best price. Not like you can get more power.

I have custom MSD myself but I wanted different length so I got a deal on them and a crimper.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune up question- plugs & wires L98 1991

Quick Reply: Tune up question- plugs & wires L98 1991