C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine gurus, step on in ! 383 questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Here she is: waiting on smaller jets and need to put plug wires on her. I painted her, so she is "pretty" now: just hope she lives up to her looks

Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit666
As for going to a F.I. setup you would be much better off to get a custom ecm made than getting a chip made for the stock ecm.It is only an educated guess at best even for the sharpest ecm chip maker in my opinion.And if you ever change anything like injectors,headers,timing,have head work done etc. you will have to have the chip re programed.

A company called dynamic EFI can build you a custom ecm for a very reasonable price and then you can hook up a lap top to it and make any tuning changes you want at any time.It's going to be expensive to go to a good EFI set up and custom ECM.

I stuck with a carb because of expense and ease of tuning.I'm an old school guy and am good with carbs,and in my (and in quite a few eng. builders) opinions you can make as much horsepower with a carb.EFI to many is easier to tune and yes it is more efficient to some extent which many will say translates to more H.P.
Not sure I follow. If you strap it to the dyno, how is that guessing? If you are writing a program based on what I say I have, I agree. You are right that you have to reprogram for major changes but how often do you really do that? If you are a race team, sure. I don't see many people swapping cams every couple weeks. As to injectors, change depends on the power you make, I would think. It's maxed out and that's that till you make major changes, I would assume.

Learning how to do it properly, like anything else will take time and testing and tweaking. Kinda why we pay people for the experience and expertise.

EFI does not make more power per se. It is better for adjusting at different positions of the curve where a carb is going to be a one size fits all solution. Easier if you are doing say a lot WOT runs on the track. It is optimized for that particular area and the rest is sloppy.
The following users liked this post:
OldGyrene (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OldGyrene
Yeah, sorry, 10:1 compression. I do know that it was balanced, but I would have to ask about the other work. Thanks for the stall info. As for the ECM I thought about a later year computer with a custom tune. Damn, I hope you are right about the horsepower ! What are running for a tranny and rear end behind all those ponies ?
I don't believe EFI will give you much trouble. Just find someone to dyno tune it and be done. It will give better drivability all over the curve.
OldGyrene (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't believe EFI will give you much trouble. Just find someone to dyno tune it and be done. It will give better drivability all over the curve.
I agree with you on the dyno tune, but I was of the impression that the later year ECMs allow more options in tuning vs the one year '85. I am running Tuner Pro RT and plan on getting much deeper into the programming.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I agree with you on the dyno tune, but I was of the impression that the later year ECMs allow more options in tuning vs the one year '85. I am running Tuner Pro RT and plan on getting much deeper into the programming.
I think they do give more parameters but I never delved into it. Didn't want to make the commitment on a "one off" deal. I Dragged it to a dyno place 6 hrs away, played at the Mall of America, picked up the car and went home later that week. Next time was several years later but I drove there. For 2 times in 12 years, I can't afford the time to study it, dyno test and learn, rinse and repeat.
OldGyrene (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM
bandit666
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, sorry, 10:1 compression. I do know that it was balanced, but I would have to ask about the other work. Thanks for the stall info. As for the ECM I thought about a later year computer with a custom tune. Damn, I hope you are right about the horsepower ! What are running for a tranny and rear end behind all those ponies ?
I agree with 383vette's response about comp. cams.Also you need to get a roller cam,lifters and rockers in there.It will rev much faster and you'll gain a bunch of HP.I have a custom grind from howards cams.They are very knowledgeable and have used their cams for years with no failures.I have,and recommend for your eng. part #189995S.It is a small base circle .600 lift int. & exh.,259 dur. @ .50 with a 110 degree lobe separation.Get 1.5 ratio roller rockers along with roller lifters.My heads had springs in them that were set up for a roller cam. You should check yours to make sure they are good to go for a roller cam.If you need springs the Howards part# is 987-16.I can't tell you how much you will love that cam if you use it.Makes tons of power from 2500rpm's to abut 6800,and it sounds AWESOME!. I use scorpion lifters and rockers.Good price and very good pieces.
If you run a carb you'll have to put a fuel pressure regulator in to bring the pressure down to 6-8 lbs.As for my set up ,I have a built 700r4 with a built d44hd with 3.54 ring & pinion,eaton truetrac that is a clutchless diff.limited slip posi.VERY STRONG.You'll need to get some good u-joints.timken non greaseable are the strongest but not cheap.And make sure you get your pinion angle right.There is a long thread from rklessdriver about setting up a d44 rear.He helped me out with his knowledge and info.I recommend getting all your parts through summit.Best prices and will match any price if you find it cheaper,so shop around first.Best cust. service and tech. help.Anything else I can help you with ,hit me up.Oh yeah,get rid of your pollution pump and get the adapter bracket for the alternator.And don't forget to wire in a toggle switch from your tranny to lock up the convertor when you're in overdrive so you don't burn things up.Very important.
OldGyrene (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 PM
bandit666
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Not sure I follow. If you strap it to the dyno, how is that guessing? If you are writing a program based on what I say I have, I agree. You are right that you have to reprogram for major changes but how often do you really do that? If you are a race team, sure. I don't see many people swapping cams every couple weeks. As to injectors, change depends on the power you make, I would think. It's maxed out and that's that till you make major changes, I would assume.

Learning how to do it properly, like anything else will take time and testing and tweaking. Kinda why we pay people for the experience and expertise.

EFI does not make more power per se. It is better for adjusting at different positions of the curve where a carb is going to be a one size fits all solution. Easier if you are doing say a lot WOT runs on the track. It is optimized for that particular area and the rest is sloppy.
I didn't say it was guessing or mean it to sound like it was guessing when you tune it on a dyno.I was assuming that everyone knows that every engine is different,even with identical parts.A custom chip is programed for the specs you give them,but doesn't allow for differences(small as they might be) in what a particular engine wants to be perfectly tuned.I've seen the same identical cars with the exact same set up engine,trans, and rear end take different tunes on the dyno to make the best h.p. and torque and still one makes more h.p. than the other.They are like fingerprints,no two the same.Example:I'll bet you have seen over the years a car or truck that for some reason runs better than all of the other same cars or trucks.
OldGyrene (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bandit666
I didn't say it was guessing or mean it to sound like it was guessing when you tune it on a dyno.I was assuming that everyone knows that every engine is different,even with identical parts.A custom chip is programed for the specs you give them,but doesn't allow for differences(small as they might be) in what a particular engine wants to be perfectly tuned.I've seen the same identical cars with the exact same set up engine,trans, and rear end take different tunes on the dyno to make the best h.p. and torque and still one makes more h.p. than the other.They are like fingerprints,no two the same.Example:I'll bet you have seen over the years a car or truck that for some reason runs better than all of the other same cars or trucks.
I agree. If you are doing a tune in the mail without datalog, IMO, it is "guess a tune". My first choice would be a dyno tune to maximize power. 2nd choice would be to send a tune in the mail and datalog and change the program. I'd only work with a tune in the mail to get me to the facility if there was no datalog.
OldGyrene (03-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Engine gurus, step on in ! 383 questions..