C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine gurus, step on in ! 383 questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine gurus, step on in ! 383 questions..

Ok, here's the deal. Number one I am NOT an engine builder and don't pretend to be, so I need the gurus opinion(s).

I picked up a 383 pretty cheap (I think) from a local guy, that I plan to eventually go into my 1985. I don't plan on racing it, just want a little more go on the street.

Finally tracked down the shop (reputable local builder) where most of the work was done and this is what I've got:

1987 block bored .30 over.
Comp Cam, gross valve lift .490, duration @ .050,230/236
Dart Iron Eagle SS heads,67cc combustion chambers
Eagle cast crank #103523750571
Scat forged rods
Speed Pro H860CP30 pistons
Hastings ring set
Comp Cam guides & springs
Melling Hi volume, Hi pressure pump
Engine Pro 1.5 roller rockers
Balanced

Came with an Edelbrock 7501 Air Gap intake and Quick Fuel SS780VS carb. My plans are to do the initial break in using the carbed setup on my run stand.

The builder estimated 425 hp at the crank and about 330 at the wheels. Does this sound about right or not ? It doesn't seem like a "wild" setup to me.

Obviously I will need a new tune so I am planning to upgrade the ECM and if funds allow, a Mini Ram setup. If funds are tight, what kind of performance loss would I suffer using the stock TPI setup and ECM ?

Last question for now. What size stall should I go with ? Cam specs say 2200+.

Thanks in advance. I plan on doing the initial run in the next couple of weeks, but probably won't swap engines until winter.

Any thoughts/opinions are welcome !

Last edited by OldGyrene; 03-26-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Diesel_Jerry
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my .02 I am not a Guru, I too have plans for my l98 from what I have read if you use the stock TPI with a 383 you need to have it ported out. I don't know if the stock runners can flow enough, the stock throttle body from what I have read is good to 400hp it's the plenum etc where the bottleneck is.
The following users liked this post:
OldGyrene (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Stall 2600-2800
Keep your carb or go miniram.....way better the stock TPI was made for a 305. you can port the stock base andget aftermarket runners though youll lose rpm and plenty of power over the first two intakes/ TPI will be done by 4-ish or so maybe 4500;should be easy to drive.Illl catch hell for it but the edelbrock rpm/carb...run it.
Id reuse the stock TB also
Headers? If you have a few dollars get some port work done on the heads, 3-500 ought to pick em up good

Last edited by cv67; 03-27-2017 at 10:40 AM.
OldGyrene (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Myself,I would just stay with carb, and get 25-3000 stall and gears. Depending in springs you could get a little bump going to 1.6 rockers after it's sorted out.
OldGyrene (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 AM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. Think I will save my pennies and go for the Mini Ram as I have come to appreciate fuel injection. After break in, the carb and intake will probably go up for sale.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Would it need to be broken in on a stand even? I dropped one of Lingenfelter's motors in and brought it there for dyno tuning. Ran it all the way home.

I don't think lubrication will be an issue that you have to have a high volume and high pressure pump. I'm running stock pressure and volume.

You are obviously going to do dyno tuning to get this working right so why not talk to the engine builder as to what cam you want and what is the matching intake, injector size, etc? Do you have the dyno facility sorted out yet?
OldGyrene (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

There is really no need for a high volume oil pump, all it will do is increase the parasitic drag on the engine you propose, and a stock pump will provide all of the pressure and volume that you need. If you do choose to go with a high volume pump, you need to ensure that you have increased clearance between the pump pickup, and the oil pan. dont ask me how I know. In addition you need to ensure that you help the oil get back down into the bottom end from the heads, as in enlarge the oil returns.
OldGyrene (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Run the mini ram and have a chip burned for your stock computer, it will be a good running combination.
OldGyrene (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Run the mini ram and have a chip burned for your stock computer, it will be a good running combination.
Wouldn't one set up for the combination be better?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
Wouldn't one set up for the combination be better?
He has the parts listed that he is planning to run, with a question on the mini ram. I am responding that the mini ram and tuned stock ECM will work well with the parts listed. The stock TPI not so well.

Last edited by bjankuski; 03-28-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:27 AM
aklim
Team Owner

He has the parts listed that he is planning to run, with a question on the mini ram. I am responding that the mini ram and tuned stock ECM will work well with the parts listed. The stock TPI not so well.
I didn't know if the stock ECM would adjust that much. I have serious doubts my SD one will. Curious
OldGyrene (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:13 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Would it need to be broken in on a stand even? I dropped one of Lingenfelter's motors in and brought it there for dyno tuning. Ran it all the way home.

I don't think lubrication will be an issue that you have to have a high volume and high pressure pump. I'm running stock pressure and volume.

You are obviously going to do dyno tuning to get this working right so why not talk to the engine builder as to what cam you want and what is the matching intake, injector size, etc? Do you have the dyno facility sorted out yet?
Nearest dyno facility is about 200 miles away. Engine is already built. I have a run stand so I think I will go ahead and break in the cam a little, and get the valves adjusted right.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

I agree, hence the savings for a new Min Ram setup. My current (stock) engine has no problems, so there is no hurry.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

I hope so !
Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
There is really no need for a high volume oil pump, all it will do is increase the parasitic drag on the engine you propose, and a stock pump will provide all of the pressure and volume that you need. If you do choose to go with a high volume pump, you need to ensure that you have increased clearance between the pump pickup, and the oil pan. dont ask me how I know. In addition you need to ensure that you help the oil get back down into the bottom end from the heads, as in enlarge the oil returns.
Hmm.... I guess I ought to drop the pan and take a look. Will talk to the builder and see if the returns were enlarged. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OldGyrene
Nearest dyno facility is about 200 miles away. Engine is already built. I have a run stand so I think I will go ahead and break in the cam a little, and get the valves adjusted right.
Bad news is that it is 200 miles away from home. Good news is that you probably have to do it once in many years unless you radically charge the combination. Mine is more sensitive than your system because I am SD and I had to do it one time many years ago and not even in the past 5 years.

Is breaking in even necessary these days other than to change oil in 500 to 1000 miles?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Bad news is that it is 200 miles away from home. Good news is that you probably have to do it once in many years unless you radically charge the combination. Mine is more sensitive than your system because I am SD and I had to do it one time many years ago and not even in the past 5 years.

Is breaking in even necessary these days other than to change oil in 500 to 1000 miles?
Comp Cams wants you to do a cam break in period using their specific oil. (High ZDDP ?) Also, I had the "pleasure" of dropping in a new engine once just to have the real seal puking all over my garage floor ! So an initial stand run will at least give me peace of mind.

Last edited by OldGyrene; 03-28-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine gurus, step on in ! 383 questions..

Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Hmm.... I guess I ought to drop the pan and take a look. Will talk to the builder and see if the returns were enlarged. Thanks.
Since you already have the pump you will be fine, may not have been needed but it will work fine. Oil drain backs will be ok.
OldGyrene (03-30-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Comp Cams wants you to do a cam break in period using their specific oil. (High ZDDP ?) Also, I had the "pleasure" of dropping in a new engine once just to have the real seal puking all over my garage floor ! So an initial stand run will at least give me peace of mind.
Fair enough. I never had a stand nor would I ever own a carburetor if you gave me one so I'd have to hook up the EFI.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:48 AM
OldGyrene
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Stall 2600-2800
Keep your carb or go miniram.....way better the stock TPI was made for a 305.
Against my own better judgement, I picked up a 1986 Trans Am the other day, and lo and behold it had a 305 TPI. I got it extremely cheap as the kid didn't know what TPI even meant and as a result it runs like dog sh$t. Plan on getting it running and flipping it, but yeah: same setup as our Vettes.

Last edited by OldGyrene; 03-29-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine gurus, step on in ! 383 questions..