C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

lost wheel lock key, need info

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:09 PM
kimrpaige
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost wheel lock key, need info

Hello all,
I have just returned after a 5 years or so without owning a Vette. Anyway I am back. Just bought a 2 owner 69K mile 94 Bright Aqua Metallic coupe. The car is near perfect and was very well taken care of, however I can not find the wheel key, and do not know where the code is to get a replacement. I need to swap the rear wheels on the rear around as they are not right. The tires are not directional, but the PO or his shop did not get the wheels in the right position. Anyway the key is not in the car. So does anyone know where the RPO tag is on a 94 coupe, and would it have the key code on it? I am pretty sure a tire shop can get the locking lugs off but if I can find the correct key would be nice. Thanks in advance, Kim
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by kimrpaige
Hello all,
I have just returned after a 5 years or so without owning a Vette. Anyway I am back. Just bought a 2 owner 69K mile 94 Bright Aqua Metallic coupe. The car is near perfect and was very well taken care of, however I can not find the wheel key, and do not know where the code is to get a replacement. I need to swap the rear wheels on the rear around as they are not right. The tires are not directional, but the PO or his shop did not get the wheels in the right position. Anyway the key is not in the car. So does anyone know where the RPO tag is on a 94 coupe, and would it have the key code on it? I am pretty sure a tire shop can get the locking lugs off but if I can find the correct key would be nice. Thanks in advance, Kim
Look in all the back bins, center console and door pockets. Also look under treats.

But I have contacted Amcor and supplied them with a high quality photo and they have matched it up and sent a new key. Which I promptly threw the lug nuts and key in the garbage after removing them.

Your local dealership might have a full set of keys. Might be worth a call.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 PM
kimrpaige
Advanced

Thanks, I looked in and under the passenger rear compartment (where it should be), even removed the amp and felt under the styrofoam (that was fun, LOL), not there, not in console or door panels either. Where is the tag that has the key code? any idea? Kim
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 PM
kimrpaige
Advanced

Oh, I forgot, treats??? What are treats?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh, I forgot, treats??? What are treats?
Probably means "seats"

I had same problem, local tire shop had a solution and did it cheaply, I then threw the locking lugs in the trash. They had a tool used to remove locking lug nuts (just like a real thief would have)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:10 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

They made them call them.

https://www.amcorlocks.com
Old 03-26-2017, 11:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Which I promptly threw the lug nuts and key in the garbage after removing them.

Your local dealership might have a full set of keys. Might be worth a call.
I believe they took them off once on my F-body at the body shop so they had a way to get it off. I replaced them with lug nuts and tossed the silly things away like you did
Old 03-27-2017, 12:47 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Thanks, I looked in and under the passenger rear compartment (where it should be), even removed the amp and felt under the styrofoam (that was fun, LOL), not there, not in console or door panels either. Where is the tag that has the key code? any idea? Kim
The wheel lock card was in the bag with the locks before the dealer delivered the car. At that point the card was given to the owner in all the paperwork. If you have the original owners manual, it might be in there.

Amcor was the original wheel lock key manufacturer.

And yes, meant seats.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

however I can not find the wheel key, and do not know where the code is to get a replacement.

I need to swap the rear wheels on the rear around as they are not right. The tires are not directional,
If you just bought it, have you thought of asking the PO? It might well be a "DOH!" moment and he has the key somewhere in his sock drawer or whatever? I had a guy sell me a car and hand me the keys to HIS car. You know, the one he still owns. I left him at the bank and was on the way home when he called.

I don't know anything about your 94 but in my 91, there is a left and a right. Is that what you are trying to do? See my post HERE and see if it applies to you. Especially post 7
Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Bwbob
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at the picture of your car, i thought the fins were supposed to go towards the front. That would mean that the front wheels are wrong. Maybe im thinking of different wheels.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bwbob
Looking at the picture of your car, i thought the fins were supposed to go towards the front. That would mean that the front wheels are wrong. Maybe im thinking of different wheels.
His front wheel is correct. The rear is wrong.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Any good tire shop will be able to remove the wheel lock. It will get destroyed in the process, but it will come off. Then just replace with a regular GM lug nut that has the external threads for the plastic cap.

Any GM Dealer will have the lug nut and cap. They are a generic style that was used on a wide variety of GM cars. Or you can buy a new set of chrome acorn-style lug nuts. I would not get another set of locking lugs unless the car is kept outside and you have it parked in an area where vehicle thefts or car prowling is an issue.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I would not get another set of locking lugs unless the car is kept outside and you have it parked in an area where vehicle thefts or car prowling is an issue.
That is what insurance is for. 4 junkyard wheels and tires, 1 "OMG!! My custom set of wheels and tires were stolen. They were $2000 apiece!". Then you park it inside.

IMO, they are looking for newer cars with more common tires not some fat tire that fewer cars can fit unless it is a really popular car if they are looking to turn it around quick.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

When I bought my 92 it has 19 regular lug nuts and one lock
neighbor brought his craftsman lug removers over and it was off in less than 5 minutes

seeing that you can buy the tool at sears are the locks really serving a purpose?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:04 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
When I bought my 92 it has 19 regular lug nuts and one lock
neighbor brought his craftsman lug removers over and it was off in less than 5 minutes

seeing that you can buy the tool at sears are the locks really serving a purpose?
Nope, just keeping the honest guy honest. Any car thief worth his salt has a set of these. Have come in handy to me and my son many times when we have purchased a vehicle with a missing key. Locks come off just as easily as a lug nut.....and while worthless without the key the lock is not destroyed.

Last edited by divotdug; 03-28-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Any good tire shop will be able to remove the wheel lock. It will get destroyed in the process, but it will come off.
Had a friend with this issue, went to local Discount Tire and they were able to remove them without damaging them. Replaced with regular lug nuts for the time being. I've seen where they've removed them without the original key before. Don't know if they have a stockpile of various designs or what but sure worth a check.

Good luck.

PS Found some different lug nuts (when I changed rims) that hopefully will frustrate the heck out of any wheel thief. They take a 7 spline socket to fit them (every one of them). Plus the lug bolts are recessed into the rim, so they will have a heck of a time with something like a vice grips or grabber tool due to access issues (hopefully). Hope to never see it attempted but I'm doing my best to prevent it from happening.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:28 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hcbph
Had a friend with this issue, went to local Discount Tire and they were able to remove them without damaging them. Replaced with regular lug nuts for the time being. I've seen where they've removed them without the original key before. Don't know if they have a stockpile of various designs or what but sure worth a check.

Good luck.

PS Found some different lug nuts (when I changed rims) that hopefully will frustrate the heck out of any wheel thief. They take a 7 spline socket to fit them (every one of them). Plus the lug bolts are recessed into the rim, so they will have a heck of a time with something like a vice grips or grabber tool due to access issues (hopefully). Hope to never see it attempted but I'm doing my best to prevent it from happening.
Here is my take on this. My wife has the same thought as you do and this is what I tell her:

If you want to worry about these things (spend time and thought), why don't we cancel the insurance and I can spend the money on blow and hookers? I pay insurance so I don't have to worry other than a small outlay for the deductible. At a $500 deductible, it isn't worth my getting worried and doing all kinds of gyrations, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To lost wheel lock key, need info

Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Found some different lug nuts that hopefully will frustrate the heck out of any wheel thief. They take a 7 spline socket to fit them (every one of them). Plus the lug nuts are recessed into the rim, so they will have a heck of a time with something like a vice grips or grabber tool due to access issues.

Mine were made by Excalibur, p/n IK303, 12 mm-1.50. Get an extra "Spline Key" socket. One for the car, and one for the tool box.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

Mine were made by Excalibur, p/n IK303, 12 mm-1.50. Get an extra "Spline Key" socket. One for the car, and one for the tool box.

That's the ones and I have if they have 7 grooves down them. I also got 2 sockets like suggested: one in the car and one in the house. Regular and metric sockets don't fit them, you need the special socket to engage the grooves in them, and 7 makes them an odd number.

Last edited by hcbph; 03-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:28 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
Here is my take on this. My wife has the same thought as you do and this is what I tell her:

If you want to worry about these things (spend time and thought), why don't we cancel the insurance and I can spend the money on blow and hookers? I pay insurance so I don't have to worry other than a small outlay for the deductible. At a $500 deductible, it isn't worth my getting worried and doing all kinds of gyrations, etc.
You're certainly welcome to your opinion. Happens the rims didn't come with lug nuts and the oem ones didn't fit the wells easily. Seeing I had to buy some anyway, why not add some protection right out of the gate? I had a bear of a time finding the rims I like (C6 style Z06 reproductions 18"x9.5") with the correct offset (+40mm) to fit without using spacers, don't know if I had to find replacements in the future if I'd be so lucky. So why not get something with a better protection right away, didn't cost any more in the first place.

I already had some low life try to steal the rims off my truck and he would have had (apparently) he not noticed they are 7 bolt rims instead of 6 or 8 so basically unusable to anyone but someone with the right F150 with the 8200 lb suspension under it. There aren't a whole lot of those around either. I had to go to Alabama (I live in Minnesota) to find rims for my trucks winter tires, so I don't look forward to chasing replacements down.

I'll add protection where I can. Saves headaches in the long run but to each his own.

Quick Reply: lost wheel lock key, need info