C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Harmonic balancer + protecting a engine from elements

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harmonic balancer + protecting a engine from elements

Two quick questions.

Tried to pull harmonic to replace Opti. Had a brain fart and removed Hub bolt instead of the three holding balancer. Any reason why I can't just attach the bolt back and torque?

Does the orientation of the arrow on the HB matter? It has no affect on timing correct?

Also, my engine is on the stand with heads removed. I gave the exposed cylinders and head surface a light coat of oil. Should I be doing anything further to protect it?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Since engine is on stand, #1 piston at TDC and arrow on balancer at 12 o'clock. It's not supposed to matter(front half of engine is internally balanced) but FSM suggests it. If engine is going to sit for a "while" in a damp garage I would use something heavier like gear lube on pretty much everything and a plastic bag over it. The hassle of cleaning it is easier than dealing with rust, I have known of more than 1 engine that 24 hours turned into 24+ months.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I turn the crank and hit all the cylinders walls?

would the same method work when I am degreasing and power washing heads/intake? Won't sit long just hate for em to start to pit

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer + protecting a engine from elements

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer + protecting a engine from elements