C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Marvel Mystery Oil made my engine leak...

Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 PM
woodstockdrifter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Marvel Mystery Oil made my engine leak...

Ok so I should have listened to you guys. I'll admit it right away.

I posted a thread about a tapping noise I heard. You guys helped me out and we narrowed it down to a noisy lifter or an exhaust manifold leak. A couple of you said try MMO in case its a lifter, others said dont its a waste. Its so cheap at Walmart I tried it. Did a total of maybe 300 miles with 3/4 MMO bottle until the engine started leaking. Definitely a leak from the valve covers as you can see here and I'm not sure from where else

It kept leaking a football size area each time I'd drive it and finally started dripping a lot from the oil filter.
Changed the oil right away and the leaking went down to just a couple drops.

I have a few questions.
What did the MMO do? Did it thin out the oil so much that oil went through some gaskets?

Could the MMO have made the lifter problem worse?

I will be taking it to shop to finally fix the problem but in the meantime, should I avoid driving anymore at all?

Engine pulls hard the few times I've tested it, idle is good no problems. Engine was never oil starved either since I did not drive much during the leak. Thank you for the help. Will avoid MMO now

Last edited by woodstockdrifter; 03-27-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:05 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Marvel Mystery Oil was made for the aircooled Franklin engine.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

MMO thins oil.

If you have original gaskets, thicker oil will stay put but thinner oil will leak out.

Your drips will cease in a day or so
Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

It's not so much the thin oil is leaking, it's not sealing the rings and the resulting blow-by is causing positive crankcase pressure n pushing oil past your seals and causing detonation(pulling hard as you put it). Change the oil n it should be fine.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

it didnt make it leak
Just replace the offending gasket and motor on
Try not to run stuff that thins the oil for more than a heat cycle if you can
The following users liked this post:
rocco16 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by woodstockdrifter
Ok so I should have listened to you guys. I'll admit it right away.

I posted a thread about a tapping noise I heard. You guys helped me out and we narrowed it down to a noisy lifter or an exhaust manifold leak. A couple of you said try MMO in case its a lifter, others said dont its a waste. Its so cheap at Walmart I tried it. Did a total of maybe 300 miles with 3/4 MMO bottle until the engine started leaking. Definitely a leak from the valve covers as you can see here and I'm not sure from where else

It kept leaking a football size area each time I'd drive it and finally started dripping a lot from the oil filter.
Changed the oil right away and the leaking went down to just a couple drops.

I have a few questions.
What did the MMO do? Did it thin out the oil so much that oil went through some gaskets?

Could the MMO have made the lifter problem worse?

I will be taking it to shop to finally fix the problem but in the meantime, should I avoid driving anymore at all?

Engine pulls hard the few times I've tested it, idle is good no problems. Engine was never oil starved either since I did not drive much during the leak. Thank you for the help. Will avoid MMO now
I would say your leak is already there and MMO didn't do much except happen to be there. Why don;t you people lay off the crazy "mechanic in a can" and get some real fixing done.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Dad still doesn't dare to place a battery on the concrete surface. It will kill the battery. Don't flush the trans if you haven't for a long time. It will kill it. My favorite is the one where you run the car with more than a quarter tank or it will kill the pump.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

MMO has a solvent in it that likely cleaned up the gunk buildup in the engine that was holding the seal together, similar to what Mobil 1 would do.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vader86
MMO has a solvent in it that likely cleaned up the gunk buildup in the engine that was holding the seal together, similar to what Mobil 1 would do.
I have heard people run Diesel Purge and MMO to clean the pumps and injectors from Mercedes and Powerstroke forums. I have yet to see conclusive proof that it does dissolve anything worthy of mention without doing some damage. Mostly placebo or anecdotal "evidence" of the efficacy of the product.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

If you simply added 3/4 quart of MMO then you may have overfilled which could cause leaks... maybe not from the valve cover necessarily, but still, overfilling can cause problems.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:19 PM
woodstockdrifter
Instructor

Originally Posted by DGXR
If you simply added 3/4 quart of MMO then you may have overfilled which could cause leaks... maybe not from the valve cover necessarily, but still, overfilling can cause problems.
Youre right but I drained about half a quart of oil before.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Youre right but I drained about half a quart of oil before.
Could it dissolve gaskets? IDK.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:22 PM
woodstockdrifter
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
I would say your leak is already there and MMO didn't do much except happen to be there. Why don;t you people lay off the crazy "mechanic in a can" and get some real fixing done.
Honestly I think it does work for a lifter that is stuck. I saw youtube videos on it. It was less than $5 so I thought it was worth it in case I had a stuck lifter. But it didnt work so it means I have a damaged lifter or an exhaust manifold leak
The following users liked this post:
PAINTER MAN (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM
woodstockdrifter
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOOT77
It's not so much the thin oil is leaking, it's not sealing the rings and the resulting blow-by is causing positive crankcase pressure n pushing oil past your seals and causing detonation(pulling hard as you put it). Change the oil n it should be fine.
Youre right it could be blow by but by pulling hard I meant the engine was running strong and accelerating fast.

if it was blow by, would that be related to the valve cover leak? just curious
Old 03-29-2017, 07:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Honestly I think it does work for a lifter that is stuck. I saw youtube videos on it. It was less than $5 so I thought it was worth it in case I had a stuck lifter. But it didnt work so it means I have a damaged lifter or an exhaust manifold leak
But let's say it works. Now what? I would replace all the lifters anyway unless you are selling the car. I might bang a married woman cheating on her husband but NFW would I marry her. She'd be damaged goods and I'd be stupid to hitch my wagon to that mess and wonder when she would be cheating on me.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

random thought funny how close teh stock wires ran to the manifolds and would go 100k but the fancy wires out today fry with ttwice the clearance. Think GM knew something?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
random thought funny how close teh stock wires ran to the manifolds and would go 100k but the fancy wires out today fry with ttwice the clearance.

Think GM knew something?
Here is another random thought. A 6 pack of cheap beer can be left in your car for days on end. A fine bottle of wine has to be pampered more, temperature and light, etc.

Sure. What does GM stand for again? Oh, that's right. Government Motors recently after they did so well that Obama can fire their CEO. Sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Marvel Mystery Oil made my engine leak...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil made my engine leak...