C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:07 PM
lampedusa
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold

Does this setup work well? If no one has tried it, I think I'm going to. I like the look of the stock L98 and everyone has said that the AS&M Runners are the best flowing--create the most torque. :yesnod: Thanks!
Old 09-29-2002, 08:20 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (lampedusa)

Well we know that the AS&M large tube runners with a big mouth base build more torque & HP but don't know about the semi-siamese breed.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (65Z01)

I'm having my Ported Plenum/AS&M Runners/Ported Base put on this week and I'm heading off to the dyno shortly after, I'll post results. :) I have the AS&M LT runners and not the Siamesed style though.

The first time I had it on the Dyno my '86 Vette showed 213 RWHP/322 RWT........but I had major fuel problems and was running extreamly lean. I ended up replacing a faulty fuel pump with a Walbro unit and replaced my injectors to Ford SVO 24 pounders.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:27 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm having my Ported Plenum/AS&M Runners/Ported Base put on this week
What night? I'm hoping to have mine running by wednesday. :cheers:
Old 09-29-2002, 08:31 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: (scorp508)

I'm having my Ported Plenum/AS&M Runners/Ported Base put on this week

What night? I'm hoping to have mine running by wednesday. :cheers:
I think Ken told me Wednesday!! :cool: Then it's off to the dyno! :)
Oh and can't forget LVD..........I'm going to hand Corey his azz in that 69' Vette!!! :jester
I'm just hoping I'm not going to be the slowest Vette or car for that matter at the track! :crazy:

[Modified by Mr. Magoo, 7:32 PM 9/29/2002]
Old 09-29-2002, 08:51 PM
lampedusa
Pro

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (Mr. Magoo)

[I'm having my Ported Plenum/AS&M Runners/Ported Base put on this week and I'm heading off to the dyno shortly after, I'll post results.
Thanks!!!! I appreciate that. Did you have your base and Plenum ported from AS&M? Did you send yours to them? Or just buy new ones?
Old 09-29-2002, 09:11 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (lampedusa)

running by wed? gosh i am jealous of how fast machine shops work over there, i was waiting for eons to get half my stuff done. :cheers:
Old 09-29-2002, 09:26 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (65Z01)

Well we know that the AS&M large tube runners with a big mouth base build more torque & HP but don't know about the semi-siamese breed.
"big mouth base" are we talkin' TPIS or Accel?

[Modified by chucks88, 8:26 PM 9/29/2002]
Old 09-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks!!!! I appreciate that. Did you have your base and Plenum ported from AS&M? Did you send yours to them? Or just buy new ones?
I bought the whole intake from a Forum member and was told it was ported by AS&M. I believe it too..........the work is absolutely beautiful. :)

[Modified by Mr. Magoo, 10:40 PM 9/29/2002]
Old 09-30-2002, 10:41 PM
88-L98-Z52
Pro

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (Mr. Magoo)

Im looking at plenums and runners and manifolds right now and like the idea of the TPIS combination... Ported plenum, large tube runners and big mouth intake...

I have wondered about a couple of things... I checked out the AS&M runners since they are supposedly the same as TPIS but cheaper... Saw the SemiSiamese runners (still for less than TPIS large tubes) and they say the flow more and produce more torque than the large tubes, but they don't say HOW MUCH MORE?!?!... thought that was odd.. but.. makes me wonder??!? Is it enough to make them worth the extra $dollar$$. Also wonder if they would match up to the TPIS big mouth manifold... assuming they would, but would like to verify that....

I also notice that TPIS charges... oh I forget exactly how much... $150 more maybe?!?... to port the runners and manifold.... So that makes me wonder why they don't just port them all to begin with!!! and if the siamese runners from AS&M are ported already or if that is something that would be an extra charge... Is the extra $dollar$$ for all this porting of the runners and manifold worth it in a bang-for-your-buck kind of sense?!?!

I don't drag race my car.. just looking to bolt on some extra horsepower and torque when it goes back together after a head gasket repair.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:43 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (88-L98-Z52)

I also notice that TPIS charges... oh I forget exactly how much... $150 more maybe?!?... to port the runners and manifold.... So that makes me wonder why they don't just port them all to begin with!!!
Money..Money..Money..Money..Money
Old 09-30-2002, 11:43 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Post some pics. I wanna see how they do it 'professionally' :D
Old 10-10-2002, 01:49 PM
lampedusa
Pro

So Magoo, what were the numbers? Did you install just the intake system? Or did you install heads/cam/intake? What was done/what're the numbers... : :cheers:
Old 10-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

So Magoo, what were the numbers? Did you install just the intake system? Or did you install heads/cam/intake? What was done/what're the numbers... : :cheers:

No heads and Cam yet, just new ported Intake, TB bypass.........and :rolleyes: Airfoil. :D

Well I missed the Dyno day do to a wedding. :rolleyes: So no numbers as of yet. If it don't rain tomorrow I'm heading off to Lebanon Valley Dragway for a few runs.
I did notice a HUGE increase in power after 3000 RPM's or so, the car really pulls hard. Then again my old intake had a big leak in it so my Vette always felt a little under powered.
I'll post my results Friday night if I run..................stay tuned.

[Modified by Mr. Magoo, 1:06 PM 10/10/2002]
Old 10-10-2002, 07:39 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I've got the AS&M long-tubes, TPIS-ported plenum and a bone-stock out-of-the-box Accel base (basically the same as the big-mouth) and you can see the numbers in the signature.

Yes, you CAN make some power & torque with them, but need some heads that will flow 220-230 CFM through the intakes to really get the most from the upper end breathing so well.

Just had the entire intake black powder-coated along with the valve-covers. Should get the motor back from the shop late next week...
Old 10-10-2002, 08:17 PM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (Joe90)

Yes, you CAN make some power & torque with them, but need some heads that will flow 220-230 CFM through the intakes to really get the most from the upper end breathing so well.
So true Joe and I love your Vette........a true inspiration! :cool:

Heads will come later this winter for me, I just simply ran out of money. I'm buying a set of already ported and polished D-Port Aluminum heads with 1.6 rollers from a friend along with a set of Long tube headers. I also bought a Lingenfelter 219 Cam from a forum member.............hell it was only $150.00 bucks and I do plan on upgrading to a SR in the future.
As for now I'm shooting for anything in the 13's with my existing set-up.....................we'll see.................??
Old 10-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Hole-Shot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the AS&M runners along with the stock plenum (ported) and the stock intake (ported). It is a decently matched setup. I have been running 12.1xx @ 112.xx with this combination.

I will be selling this TPI set-up in a few weeks. I just bought a Superram (have to maximize the 383).

Get notified of new replies

To AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold

Old 10-10-2002, 10:06 PM
lampedusa
Pro

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (Hole-Shot)

Selling it? Seriously? I'm first on the list. Just tell me the price, I'll probably buy it off you. What HP numbers are you running? :cheers:
Old 10-10-2002, 10:38 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Id be interested in the runners if he doesn't take them.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:52 PM
88-L98-Z52
Pro

Default Re: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold (Hole-Shot)

Oh PLEASE... sell them at a great deal to me... P ... L... E... A.... S... E... !!!!

I'm already having to pay to have head gaskets replaced and I'd LOVE to just bolt on a set of the siamese runners and plenum ported to match them when it all goes back together.. but I just can't afford to pay the AS&M prices on top of what it's costing me already... the only way I can do it is if I can get a used set...

I know.. it's sad... but I desperately need a 'sympathy sale'... :cry

Quick Reply: AS&M Semi-Siamese Runners/Ported Plenum and Big Mouth Manifold