C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to set timing in new engine?

Old 10-10-2002, 03:13 AM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to set timing in new engine?

Well, I haven't gotten to that point yet, but hopefully I'll be ready to start it by Friday. I see people talk about base/intial timing and then final timing (I guess). What is the difference and how do I do each?

I know that you start at TDC cyl 1, but my book has me confused on what to do because it assumes you are using the same engine. Since I'm starting fresh, what do I need to do? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 10-10-2002, 03:24 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How to set timing in new engine? (dtorc4)

With #1 at TDC (+6deg) on the compression stroke (both intake & exhaust valves closed), drop in the dist so that the rotor points to #1 terminal. This will get you close which should do till you get it started.

I cut a cardboard template of the dist cap with #1 terminal marked as well as the bolt holes and drop it onto the dist base. Then I can easily see when the rotor is pointing correctly.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:26 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to set timing in new engine? (dtorc4)

I find the #1 TDC at the beginning of the power stroke and install the distributor so the rotor is pointed at the number 1 plug wire (which you can set anywhere on the cap but its best to keep it at the stock position). Then I turn the engine so the balancer mark is at the initial timing setting where the motor timing is set. I think 1985 is 6 deg before TDC. Finally, I turn the distributor so that the teeth on the reluctor (sensor under the rotor) line up. This should get you pretty close to the correct timing. You could advance the distributor a small bit after the teeth align.

Get notified of new replies

To How to set timing in new engine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to set timing in new engine?