C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Annoying Door Chime

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 09:30 PM
robblk90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Door Chime

I went out to take the vette for a spin and when I put the key in while the door was open the door chime sounded (ding ding) as usual. Well when I started the car the chime stopped and turned into a constant tone. It was quite annoying I drove around for a few minutes and it never stopped. I pulled the key out and it was still going. It is still going as I type. It is the same tone as the chime just a long constant tone. Can I pull a fuse to stop it or what can I do? Anyone have a clue on the fix? I am changing intake and oil pan gaskets this weekend why not add something else to the list.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:51 PM
emoshn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Annoying Door Chime (robblk90)

Door ajar switch stuck in out position? I understand that they wear out after a while. Mine has an annoying habit of the interior lights occassionally flashing me. I've heard tell (haven't tried it myself) that a penny taped to the body where the switch makes contact will cure the problem whilst you're waiting for a new switch. Worth a try I guess...let's see....should cost about 1cent.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:58 PM
robblk90
Racer

Default Re: Annoying Door Chime (emoshn)

:D lol Emoshn, It only does it when the car sits for a couple of days. The door ajar light doesn't stay on just that annoyin high pitch tone. Sounds like a dog whistle for humans :D
Old 10-13-2002, 12:23 AM
robblk90
Racer

Anyone else?
Old 10-14-2002, 09:57 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tone is solid versus the pulsing, suspect the Tone Generator is bad. With a solid tone, not pusating, pretty sure this is it. Located in center panel near your Drivers Information Center. It could also be the CCM. Best to follow the trouble shooting procedure. No sense buying a bunch a parts.

If you have the factory service manual, check page 8A-76-5 Chart 5, electrical supplement.

Check the LCD Fuse, 5 amp. Trouble is, also powers the Central Control Module.

Good luck. Hope you get it fixed.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks

[Modified by dlmeyers, 8:04 PM 10/14/2002]

[Modified by dlmeyers, 8:06 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-15-2002, 10:11 AM
rockken_vette
Instructor

My chime only works when it is very cold, then only for 1 to 3 chimes. Then silence. I think I'll leave it. It is located behind the center dash, and I think you have to take off the top of the dash to get to it. Besides, a new chime is like $50.

Ken
Old 10-23-2002, 11:47 AM
robblk90
Racer

Default Re: Annoying Door Chime (dlmeyers)

dlmeyers, I followed the procedure in the manual and pulled the codes for the CCM. There were none. The chime is normal if the key is left in the ignition and the door is open or if the headlights are left on. After the chimes (shut the door) it continues as a high pitch tone (whine). Couold this be the actuator in the ignition switch? Maybe it is faulty. How would I get to the tone generator? The manual gives a diagram but it is of a small area.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:17 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I pulled my door ajar switches out.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:31 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Annoying Door Chime (ld85)

Not sure exactly what the chime is doing. The sound that it makes, is it similar to any others, like key on, light on, seatbelt, etc. From what I can gather, it basicly sticks on one tone with no time intervals? Not sure if any signal input will cause the chime to do that, ie solid tone. Am at work and manuals aren't handy.

You do have the factory service manual with electrical supplement. If you do, the section, 8A-Chime circuit, should say something about disconnecting some plugs to determine if the signal is coming from the CCM. If you disconnect the signal inputs to the chime, and the chime still sounds, then the chime is essentially stuck.

Now, this chime is located near the radio. To access this general area, you will remove the center console plastic cover, remove the vertical cover- center dash-plastic thing around the radio, and locate the chime. Pretty sure this chime is a relay/signal/noise generator. Ie, it receives an electrical signal and starts chiming.

Once again, the factory service manual, electrical supplement, has some good trouble shooting steps.

Let us know.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks

[Modified by dlmeyers, 5:35 PM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-23-2002, 07:50 PM
robblk90
Racer

Default Re: Annoying Door Chime (dlmeyers)

Thanks dlmeyer. I do have the manual w/ the supplement. It says it is located behind the instrument panel. Is that the the guage cluster or like you say the center console? You are correct it is one steady tone that has the same pitch as the chime. I will try to tackle this this weekend. My ignition switch is going to be replaced. It is hard to turn and will not go in the ACC position. That is why I was wondering if it was maybe the key alarm contact switch. It seems to be doing this when the car sits for any long period of time and when the temps are cooler. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Annoying Door Chime

Quick Reply: Annoying Door Chime