C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stealthram & Superram box heights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 06:57 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Stealthram & Superram box heights?

What are the measuremetns in inches,, just from the bottom of each plenum to the top of the plenum? Is ther 1.0 inch or more difference.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:03 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (ld85)

The super ram is listed as 9 and 3/8ths tall from intake base (china wall) to top of plenum in my camaro parts book.
I dont know about the stealth ram.

What are you thinking?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:18 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Won't work....

The S/R uses the tube runners from the sides, just like a standard TPI. A StealthRam is just a 50's style tunnel-ram (you know...like in dual-quad applications) base without the extensions to bolt the carbs to. They then cast a plenum box that bolts to the base.

They are completely different applications.

You can on the other hand manufacture your own plenum for the StealthRam so that it will fit under the hood. Here is one thread in particular that did their own plenum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=323870

They went a little overboard, but it's one of those "use what you have" scenarios. Since these guys are in Europe, the Audi throttle bodies are easier to get than some of ours (like the monoblade), but it shows how they angled the front of the plenum to clear the hood on his C4. You also don't need to make it as wide as they did, but it gives you the general idea.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:12 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

I have my super ram apart right now. but I am stuck at work. I will try to get them tonight.

I just want to make sure that you know the problem is clearnce at the throttle body? The super ram and the stock TPI have about a 10 degree slope down to clear the hood. I measured my hood to throttle body clearence on my super ram a while back and found what I think was a quarter inch of clearence. I used putty to do this.

The stealth ram does not have a slope down. I bet if it did, you might be able to get it too fit by milling the base down. But then I would be 99% sure you would have to mod the fuel rails/fittings to get the throttle body lever to clear the drivers side fuel fitting.

I was thinking about modding a stock TPI plenum to fit. I think this would be a better set up VS the super ram plenum. It would actually be just like the intake used on the sledgehammer.

I want to know if I were to use the stock TPI plenum, could you use the stock large cap HEI, instead of converting over to the smaller camaro dist. Or would the Dist still hit the tunnel rams back runners?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:54 PM
LD85
Race Director

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (bill mcdonald)

Thanks Bill I will be anxious to hear of the SR dimensions! Yeah I am wondering if I could mill an aluminum box that is less tall by @ 1 inch than the Stealth Plenum. Or if I can take a SR plenum, plug the runner holes and mount it to the top of the Stealth intake. I am sure I could mill a down angle etc on the Stealth intake.

[Modified by ld85, 7:08 PM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 09:32 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

the steath ram is 10" tall from the china wall to the top of the plenum, the rear 2/5ths fits under the stock hood, the forward 3/5 hits or sits higher than the stock C-4 hood, you would need to angle the forward 3/5ths of the plenum downward so that the forward edge of the throttle body is about 1" lower, yes it can be done. BTW these guys can do the mods, tell them GRUMPYVETTE said to call. http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/

[Modified by grumpyvette, 1:35 AM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 11:03 AM
grumpyvette
Pro

the china wall is the area on the block on the front of the lifter gallery thats just above the water pump mounting area that the front edge of the intake seals against, its the front of the lifter gallery that forms the wall seperating the two cylinder heads on the front and back of the lifter gallery.

look at the picture it where the front and back intake manifold seals go that everyone throws away, and uses a 3/8" bead of silicone to seal the intake,on top of. those two squigly lines in the picture seperating the left and right bank of cylinders

BTW the stealth ram plenum measures 14.25" long x 6.5" wide x 4.25" tall and the steath ram is 10" tall from front to back, , the forward 3/5 of the plenum hits the stock c-4 hood, angleing that forward 3/5 of the roof of the plenum starting from the back of the plenum and going forward 4" at a downward angle so that the plenum measures 9" tall at the front and mounting the throttle body at the same downward facing angle would clear the stock c-4 hood, a good ,machine shop can do this http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/
tell them grumpyvette told you to call :D

[Modified by grumpyvette, 3:15 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 11:23 AM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Not sure about the Stealth, but the SR is 3 1/4" tall. I'll try to include a pic..........

Edit: OK, why did my pic disappear? It was there when I left for work this morning, and when I get home it's gone???? :mad Geeze, I just gotta learn this computer stuff!!!!!

[Modified by Caboboy, 3:44 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 03:59 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (Caboboy)

I got ~3 and 1/8th last night. It is hard to tell with those fins on the lid.
Also remember, there are some passages on the bottom of the superram for the EGR crap. this would probably have to be cut out of the plenum and a flat piece welded in.

I still think it would be better to try and use the stock TPI plenum. it also has the downward slope on the front 3-4" of the top of the plenum that grumpy is talking about.

[Modified by bill mcdonald, 12:03 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 04:47 PM
VetteRacer282
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just get a custom sheetmetal plenum made that will fit under the hood and bolt to that manifold?

Seems like the easiest way, and probably not too expensive since its not much of a peice.

Goodluck
Matt
Old 10-17-2002, 05:14 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (VetteRacer282)

That's what I might do. Fabricate a sheet metal intake that fits on the base. Anyone know the runner length of the Stealth Ram? Grumpy, Does the Holley distributor you run work with the ESC?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:33 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (89vette)

I'll assume since the whole piece is 10" tall and the plenum is 4.25" tall the base should be aproximately 5.75" tall :crazy: :D :cheers:

BTW, I was thinking about asking this question too, then bam!! :bb

edit:

by my crude measurements, that buts the top of the stealt base right at the bottom of the stock tpi plenum wich is about 5" wide X 3" deep X 13.5" long

edit2:

which is about 1/2 the volume of the stealth ram plenum

[Modified by Raistlin, 4:49 PM 10/17/2002]

[Modified by Raistlin, 4:54 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (Raistlin)

i've got a question, if you make the plenum wider, like the super ram, will it clear the fuel rails?

it looks tight

[Modified by Raistlin, 5:36 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:43 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

I think the super ram would introduce all sorts of problems.

But then I am thinking of that SLP intake.... was that on a tunnel ram?

here is why I like the look of the stock plenum.

Old 10-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (bill mcdonald)

I was just going to post that picture to compare the differece. it looks like the tunnels are shorter on the sledgehammer than the stealth. if you look at the sledgehammer, the plennum is lower than the fuel rails.

the plennum seems the same height at the back, compared to the stealth.

i agree, the sledgehammer is the best looking intake.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:26 PM
LD85
Race Director

Well guys at this time I am just gathering info. I will call a Holley distributor to find out how long of a wait there is if any for buying a tunnel ram base and fuel rail.

Once I take my intake and runners off the car I will dimension the stock stack up and set the new TR base next to it for comparison. Then in a month or so I will buy a block of aluminum and machine a pocket into it, then put holes for the Throttle body and Tunnel Ram into it. I will just machine a piece of flat Aluminum for the lid and maybe dress it up with some fins or something. I need to have this done when my work slows down during the week of Christmas and New Years so I can do it in a day or two and get it over with.

I figure at first glance I may need to machine a slight down angle on the TR intake but I wont know till I have the parts setting together side by side.

Mark my words gentlemen; I will be sporting this Tunnel Ram Intake and a custom box by spring no matter how much beer it takes! :cheers:

I will post the info and progress pics as it comes along. Also I will make a print of the info for future dupes!

[Modified by ld85, 10:11 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 08:27 PM
VetteRacer282
Drifting

Any data on what this intake will produce over a stock TPI (or SuperRam)? Assuming gains would be close with a custom plenum... Just wondering if its worth while over a superram system. I could have a custom plenum made up from local shop in a few days if there was a big gain to be had.

Dang you for making us ponder these evil ideas!! :D
Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Stealthram & Superram box heights?

Old 10-17-2002, 08:40 PM
formulaE
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (VetteRacer282)

Maybe these guys can help you out http://www.rancefi.com/
Old 10-17-2002, 09:13 PM
LD85
Race Director

Default Re: Stealthram & Superram box heights? (formulaE)

Well Grumpyvette sold me on the whole Tunnel Ram runner/base idea. He posted some data showing BOTH the torque curve and HP climbing! http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=300678

Personally the base flow being close to 275-300CFM or more is the most interesting thing to me. I am building a new motor and having the D-port heads ported for max flow per the Lingefelter book and adding a new cam. If I can flow the air then the rest should perform really well.

[Modified by ld85, 8:18 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 10:37 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

the steath ram runners are slightly over 6" in length from the cylinder head to the plenum floor Id say 6.2" is about right

Quick Reply: Stealthram & Superram box heights?