C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mallory or MSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 05:57 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Mallory or MSD

I have a friend with a mallory uni-lite dist. The car has the old style coil (round cylinder type) and on the coil is written, do not use with electronic ignition. We need to switch the coil and would like to add a CD box. Should I stay with Mallory products, IE: hyfire IV and a coil or would the MSD 6AL and a blaster 2 coil be better? Oh, by the way, the dist. is electronic and has no vacuum advance, if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help!!
Old 10-21-2002, 11:20 AM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mallory or MSD (Red 86 4+3)

I have been a HUGE MSD fan for years. But, I have heard alot of reports about MSD 6 boxes failing over the last year or two. Not sure if its a quality control issue with them or what. Mallory is decent, but never really impressed me.

I am on my 2nd Vette, and in the past I owned 13 mustangs (saw the light late!). have had supercharged applications, Nitrous, etc... And have used alot of aftermarket ignitions, and as I said, have always been an MSD fan.

Right now, I use the Holley Annihilator HP, it costs less than the MSD, has a better spark output, and comes with a soft touch rev control. So far, I have converted to Holley. The Holley is digital (Msd 6 series is analog). Very nice product, great price, and great performance.

Best place to buy? Jegs (Jegs.com). Best prices, fast shipping.

Best of luck!

:cheers:

[Modified by JConforti, 10:25 AM 10/21/2002]
Old 10-21-2002, 01:47 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

MSD makes the best ignition products
Old 10-21-2002, 04:06 PM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Default Re: Mallory or MSD (vader86)

MSD makes the best ignition products
Like I said earlier, I am a long time MSD fan, but if you do a search on the forum, you will see alot of complaints about the 6 series failing alot. Not sure why, because in the past I had no problems, but there are alot of problems now. Additionally, compare the Holley Annihilator HP in function, power, and cost (not to mention true digital vs analog), and there is no comparison.

Making a blanket statement with no backup is purely personal preference. I think what Red 86 4+3 needs is sound advice backed by something more than just because. A dozen people could post and say Mallory makes the best, MSD makes the best, Holley makes the best, Jacobs makes the best, etc, etc... That doesnt help the member asking the question, it only further confuses the issue. I think I gave sound reasons for switching from MSD to Holley.

Just my .02 again....
Old 10-21-2002, 04:53 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: Mallory or MSD (JConforti)

Hey John,
I want to thank you for taking the time to go into so much detail with your answer. I guess one of my main concerns is if the other brands, not mallory, will be compatable with the mallory uni-lite dist. which is already in the car. I dont have a jegs catalog, so I am going to go to their web page and check it out, but in summit they list 2 holley units. A HLY 800-50 which is without a rev limiter, and a HLY 800-75 with a rev limiter. But they are both analog. The one thing I did like about the MSD is I can get it local. But to be honest about it I dont have any experience with any of the brands. But again thanks for your input. :cheers:
Old 10-21-2002, 11:09 PM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Here's the page at Jeg's with the HP Annihilator.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...53&prmenbr=361

You dont have to worry about compatibility with the distributor, you do have to worry about coil compatibility, but the Holley comes with a coil, so you would be set.

Good luck!

[Modified by JConforti, 10:10 PM 10/21/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 07:11 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

MSD...MSD...MSD....I believe in this MSD 6A SYSTEM..You can't go wrong........gives plenty of juice from idle to full rpm....

Get it...you will not go wrong.....and plenty of backup....

I love this system...in my '84 vette.... :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Mallory or MSD

Quick Reply: Mallory or MSD