C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition System Upgrade Recomendations Needed .....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Blue85L98
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Ignition System Upgrade Recomendations Needed .....

I was wondering what if any ignition system upgrades would be benifical on a stock '85 L98.

Should the stock HEI be retained and upgraded with new aftermarket module and coil, or should new aftermarket distributor and coil be installed?

Anyone have any experience with the 'Dyna Mod' HEI distributor module sold in Ecklers and Mid America? Is it worth $80, or would it be better to add that $80 towards a new distributor?
Old 10-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Rob90
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ignition System Upgrade Recomendations Needed ..... (Blue85L98)

From all my research the stock HEI is a good setup. Although I upgraded mine to a Hypertecch Coil /cap with Taylor wires and AC rapid fire plugs.
As for a increase in performance I would say not much. I got a little better idle but I think it needed new wires and plugs

I got mine from Summit
http://store.summitracing.com/landing_index.asp?v=HYP

[Modified by Rob90, 9:37 AM 10/21/2002]
Old 10-21-2002, 12:57 PM
Mark '79 & 97 TA
2nd Gear

Leave your HEI, and do the following:

1. MSD6AL Ignition box. This makes a world of difference plus it provides multiple sparks on every fire. I went to the salvage yard to pick up the wiring connectors I needed to do this to my fiancee's '86 Vette.

2. It has been awhile so I don't know what is out there, but put in a new module.

3. Get a MSD or Accel Coil.

4. MSD 8.5mm wires or equivalent

5. NGK plugs; I actually use Bosch platinums because my Vette and T/A are daily drivers. The plugs last forever, and changing them in the T/A is a PAIN so I only do it every 50,000 miles!

If you do this, and get a Hypertech chip, your car will have new life.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:46 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You really dont need anything modified unless your car's engine is significantly modded.

The stock HEI system is very good for our stock setup. Once you change intakes and cam it might help some to get a slightly different setup, but even then not alot.

You should cut back your spark plugs, add some MSD 8.5mm wires, new STOCK cap and rotor. Then maybe a MSD Digital 6 box. Thats all youll ever need. And dont buy a hypertech chip or any other chips until you change the cam or intake.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:54 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ignition System Upgrade Recomendations Needed ..... (vader86)

And dont buy a hypertech chip or any other chips until you change the cam or intake.
Don't ever buy a Hypertech chip ever...
Old 10-21-2002, 02:17 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

So long as your cap and rotor are ok you would benefit little from an upgrade on a stock engine as your stock HEI is good up into the mid to high 4,000rpm range.

You can benefit from cut-back spark plug ground electrodes (on my site) as this mod will provide a cleaner burn resulting in a little HP & mileage boost, along with lower emissions.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Ron78Z&66Vette
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave......checked out your site and saw you have a high mileage car. You may want to replace your distributor if it's the stock piece. One of the first things I did to my '85 when I got it was replace the ignition. At first I was going to go the route of upgrading everything. I decided that my 150,000 motor would benefit more from a new distributor and stock components than putting the "hi-po" parts on a worn out distributor. I still had the ORIGINAL coil dated June 85 :eek: !! I got a remanufactured distributor, AC Delco Cap, rotor, coil and ignition module for about $150 if I remember right. Replaced plugs & wires at the same time. HUGE DIFFERENCE in idle quality. No regrets.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:31 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my '85 4+3 with 52,000 and installed the accel coil. This spring I installed the MSD 6AL and man, did it wake her up! I also have TPIS wires and Bosch +4's. I bought the MSD from TPIS, as they offer a wiring harness for the coil in cap. Install was a breeze. Hardest part is positioning the MSD box. Well worth it. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition System Upgrade Recomendations Needed .....

Quick Reply: Ignition System Upgrade Recomendations Needed .....