C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What do GM's engine codes mean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:17 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default What do GM's engine codes mean?

Does anyone know how to decipher the General's engine codes? L-88, L-98, L82, et al?

I mean, I know what an LT-1 V-8 is, for instance, but does this combination of two letters and numbers signify any particular sort of engine features, specs. options, etc..? :confused:
Old 10-23-2002, 01:51 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: What do GM's engine codes mean? (onedef92)

I cant see any logic to it, other than that they progress. Like an LT4 is just a supped up LT1, an LS6 is a supped up LS1. L98 is the last of the old small blocks, maybe thats the reason they gave it 98.

I think they just come up with different Lxx combinations and call their engine prototypes something and it sticks.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:04 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: What do GM's engine codes mean? (onedef92)

until the late 60s, the RPO's were nothing... no one really cared...

they were simply codes established by the production people.

somewhere in there, they discovered that the right alphanumeric code could sound kinda neat. I suspect that is when the marketing people got involved. Then things like the Z28 came out. Z28 was simply an RPO package... and always was...

GM and Porsche are the only 2 makers that really cared about special codes like that... Porsche has had a couple... but no where near how GM has... ZR1, LT1, Z71, Z28, Z24, Z34, L88, LT4, LS1, LS6... the list is nearly endless.

and because there is a limited number, and some have been assigned pretty much permanently, they have to reuse them from time to time.

I don't see the Z28 RPO ever being used on anything but a Camaro... Or ZR1 on anything but a Vette... but the LT1 sure is used a lot... it was used back in the early 70s, as the LT-1... then it came back about 10 years ago... and it was one of FIVE(!) motors under one RPO. the chassis codes determined which motor you got.

so, to answer your question, call it GM whimsy.

Get notified of new replies

To What do GM's engine codes mean?

Quick Reply: What do GM's engine codes mean?