C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can the Optima red top be charged like a reg battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 04:12 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can the Optima red top be charged like a reg battery?

Seem to remember reading that the Optima red top can not be charged when run down like a regular battery. I charged my Die Hard after it sits for a couple of weeks as it will lose some of its charge. Can I do this with the Optima? Should I use the 2 amp or 12 amp setting on my charger?
Old 10-29-2002, 06:03 AM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Can the Optima red top be charged like a reg battery? (skeet)

I had one and charged it like a regular battery with no adverse effects. Hope that helps you!

I did it more than once as well.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:07 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You can charge any lead acid battery! I don't know what Optima recommends , but I would keep the charging current limited to under 10 amps. See if Optima has a web site, they might have this info there.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:11 PM
oldace84
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

If you have this battery...read the instructions....and let us know what it says to do in order to charge...

Are you using one?????? Or what????

should't need charge that often....Right?????
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 10-30-2002, 02:17 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any time a battery is just going to sit it will run down. Letting it run down a lot and charging it back up is also very hard on the battery. The best thing you can do is use a trickle charger / sometimes called a battery maintainer to very very very slowly charge the battery. These are great for maintaining battery life on things that are started very infrequently. A battery can really only charge and discharge so many times. Your best bet is to just keep it charged to maintain a healthy battery.

As such an optima functions exactly like any other car battery, and as such you can charge it like any other car battery. The plates are simply constructed differently and in a spiral mesh. Contrary to popular belief the Optima is not a "gell cell" battery. To preserve the life of this and any battery however I would charge it as slow as possible. If you don't need it immediately set your charger on it's lowest possible setting.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:51 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can the Optima red top be charged like a reg battery? (Nathan Plemons)

Thanks for all the replys. Guess I will get the Optima as it is only 1/2" taller than the stock battery (even though for some reason the application book says it is only for a 84 through 87 Vette. I never let my batteries get even 3/4 discharged as I always use the quick disconnect switch I have on them. It makes a big difference because without disconnecting the battery it will discharge (both my 85 and 88) to about 50 % in about 3 weeks. There is very little discharge when it is disconnected (about 5% in 3 weeks) Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the Optima red top be charged like a reg battery?

Quick Reply: Can the Optima red top be charged like a reg battery?