C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Crossfire Fuel Injection

Old 11-07-2002, 11:34 PM
black84Crossfire
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Crossfire Fuel Injection

I have a 84 model crossfire fuel injection vette. And I was wondering if Crossfire Fuel Injection is a draw back for making high performance mods.

Also I was wanting some opinions on which is better, crossfire or tune port fuel injection?

I know this is a dumb question but I was also wondering if the stock engine a 84 vette is called a L98?

My last dumb question is can a Accel pro ram bolt straight up to a 84 vette?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:45 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: 84 Crossfire Fuel Injection (black84Crossfire)

First you need to define high performance.. If you would be happy in say the mid 13.xx's That is possible on the stock CFI intake. If you get the X-ram intake (its like the Xfire) you can get even more.

The TPI is a good set up and a popular swap into CFI cars but your still limited to the engines power. It has a small cam and iron heads that flow ok for a small block but not enough for HI power. Plus this still gets tricky and expensive.

I dont know what the Pro-ram is but if it fits early small block chevy. Sure it will bolt up.

Best advice here... Work the base engine and stock intake get it running as good as you can then later... buy a newer vette for more performance. Thats how youll get the most out of yours.

BTW the Crossfire 350 is an L83. :cheers:
Old 11-08-2002, 12:30 AM
quiksilver458
Melting Slicks

Swapping out the intake for x-ram would add some nice power, but if you want to stay near stock look, and produce a lot of power, there are many options. First, you can start by adding an 85 fuel pump. I think its about 90ish dollars. You can port the stock intake manifold, and have the throttle bodies bored out to 2in. You can install some high flow heads, add headers and full cat back exhaust. Change out the stock ecm for a 7747 ecm from a late 80's chevy p/u (i might have one for sale :) ). There are many things you can do. Check out the crossfire forum... There are many guys on there that can help you out. Im fairly new to this myself, and from what i understand, there are several guys out there with near 400 horsepower out of the CFI!! http://www.crossfire.webhop.net/cftest/
is the website. :cheers:
Old 11-08-2002, 10:13 PM
colin84vette
Advanced

Default Re: 84 Crossfire Fuel Injection (quiksilver458)

How much you asking for the ECM :D
Old 11-15-2002, 12:30 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Crossfire L83..........

There are plenty of things you can do to that stock CFI setup.....

There are people that have done the swap to TPI...But it takes $$$$$$$$$

and plenty of parts/time.....to many things to change....linkages for trans....ecm....etc...etc...etc....

Just my humble thoughts...

My black CFI Works great.....do mods to your shroud (cutting to get real ram air)...etc...

Go to the crossfire forum....lots of great info on these crossfirre L83 Engines..

Have fun and good luck whatever you do....can't rallt go wrong...

tony

:smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 11-15-2002, 12:33 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: 84 Crossfire Fuel Injection (oldace84)

Depends on what you want out of the car. You can switch over to Carbed setup, which seems popular among 84s, but you lose some fuel economy and you probably wont pass emissions.

You can get the Xram intake, or convert everything over to a L98 style engine with Superram or Miniram as the intake. That would req you to change ECMs, and alot of the electrical components.

Either way, its gonna cost some money.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Crossfire Fuel Injection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 84 Crossfire Fuel Injection