C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 10:40 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98

What is the best way to get the Corsa system on a L98 engine? I would like to replace the front Y pipe and cats so should I have a muffler shop make a stainless steel front Y pipe with cats? What kind of cats should I put on it? TIA.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98 (VetteWave)

Well the LT1 is a true dual setup so you'll probably want to avoid a Y pipe if at all possible. The LT1 has the cats immediately downstream of the manifolds. A set of hooker 2151 headers would set you up close, minimal modifications to the Corsa system would be required, BUT that would ditch the cats.

If you wanted to get real fancy you could get some long tubes into bullet cats into the corsa.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:55 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

The LT1 Corsa is very easy to put on your L98.

#1: Order a set of LT1 exhaust hangers from GM. The front mounts to the trans and the rears mount to the camber struts at the differential. I think mine ran $26 total.

#2: Install headers...any kind you want. I have TPIS long-tubes.

#3: Buy a pair of Random Tech bullit cats. They are about 12" long x 5" in diameter with a 3" ID on the inlet and 3" OD on the outlet side. Shove directly onto the header collector.

#4: Install Corsa system.

#5: Take car to muffler shop and have new head-pipes bent to go from the outlet of the cats to the resonator. (I had mine done in stainless as well)

The cats are the only unknown here. You will have no problem IF you have a ZF6. If you have an A4, there are clearance issues up there. If you didn't mind going with some shorty-style headers, you could move the cats further up to clear and automatic trans and then a shop would need to bend from the shorties to the cats and another from the cats to the resonator.

It is a pretty straight-forward install. Mine look good and sounds even better. I still get second looks at the track when they see I've got a full legal exhaust system.

Good luck....
Old 11-12-2002, 09:38 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

Default Re: Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98 (Joe90)

I would prefer to keep the stock exhaust manifolds due to budget reasons. Can I use Catco cats? Can a muffler shop make pipes from the exhaust manifold to the cats to the Corsa system? What would be the best to go in Atlanta? By the way, I have a automatic.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:31 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Can I use Catco cats?
Don't know what the size of the Catco cats are. If they are small enough, you can use them.
Can a muffler shop make pipes from the exhaust manifold to the cats to the Corsa system?
Any reputable muffler shop should be able to bend some new head-pipes for you, weld in the cats and connect it all together. Start by calling around. Look for a shop that specializes in custom exhaust systems. Get some price comparisons and choose from there.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:43 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

Default Re: Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98 (Joe90)

Thanks for the help Joe90!

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98

Quick Reply: Corsa LT1 Exhaust on L98