C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
jwdarr89
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking

My 89 has developed a slight fluid leak through the two pins on the pressure switch. I can watch it bubble out when I press on the brakes hard. It is worse when the air temperature is cold. I've replaced the switch with no success. The switch pins are hollow, so there must be a leak in the proportioning valve or master cylinder piston seals. Should I rebuild the master cylinder and does a rebuild kit include the proportioning valve? I've noted two other posts regarding this problem, but neither seemed to have the cause suggested. Thanks! :confused:
Old 12-08-2002, 09:49 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking (jwdarr89)

I don't know why, but I finally stopped my white switch on my brake master from leaking only when I bought a new master from GM and installed it. I went through two rebuilts that leaked.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:19 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking (jwdarr89)

Where is this pressure switch? Is it on the underside of the cylinder? Mine seems to be leaking from somewhere on the underside & I can find fluid oozing down the booster. :eek: Who does MC rebuilding? ~Juliet
Old 12-09-2002, 12:00 PM
jwdarr89
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking (Juliet)

Thanks for the help! The pressure switch is the white plastic item on the MC. On the 89, it screws in the top of the MC between the two outlets. Using Google, it appears the combination valve is letting the fluid into switch. It looks like a new MC is the way to go. Anyone have any luck with non GM master cylinders, e.g. Wagner?

Get notified of new replies

To Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking

Quick Reply: Master cylinder pressure switch is leaking