C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake booster hissing!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 11:27 AM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake booster hissing!!

I'm starting to hear some hissing from under the dash when applying my brakes, and, the pedal requires more and more pressure than before to stop my car.

Does this sound like my booster is failing?? How hard of a job is it to remove and replace? Should I replace the master cylinder at the same time?
I've never replaced these types of items before.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 12:40 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Brake booster hissing!! (fixvet)

Your booster is bad. It is easy, four bolts, just did mine for the second time. Drop your lower dash, pull the clip that connects the booster to the pedal. Two bolts on the fire wall and it is free from the car. Remove the two nuts on the master and pull it forward. Remove one vacum line and you are out. Reverse for install. Do not replace the master unless you have a leak. Should be able to do it in an hour. Don't even need to bleed the brakes. :chevy
Old 12-16-2002, 05:33 PM
chucks00
Safety Car

Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

If you find fluid on the Master cylinder when you take it off then replace it. It maybe what caused the booster to fail.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:48 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake booster hissing!! (Chucks87)

If you have all this apart, an extra $100 laying around, good time to replace the master cylinder. Then you have a good reason flush the brake system. And on and on. Still, IF it did have a small leak, ya got everything fixed. Tough call.

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks
Old 12-17-2002, 08:14 AM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is brake booster time...and while you are at it swap out the master cylinder. While replacing the mastercylinder is not "manditory" you should know that a common causes for booster failure is a leaking master cylinder.

I take my seat out to make it a little more comfortable. Remove the knee bolster, and use a 1/4" drive with a long extension. When reassembling, wrap the booster nuts with with 1 layer of electrical tape with the adhesive facing outward. This will facilitate the nut staying in the socket.

[Modified by PTz-92-LT1, 8:17 AM 12/17/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Brake booster hissing!!

Quick Reply: Brake booster hissing!!