C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange Tire wear -- need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange Tire wear -- need some help

I rotated my tires today (rear tires were really low on tread) and noticed that the rear right side tire (now front right) has a little tread left on its right half but is almost completely bald on its left half.

A couple questions:

- Is it ok to continue driving on these tires (rear ~70%, front ~5%) or should I replace them?

-What caused the uneven wear and how can I fix it? (Alignment?)

-Why do these Goodyears wear so damn fast (from ~60% to almost nothing in 3,000 miles)?? :mad

Old 12-16-2002, 06:55 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Re: Strange Tire wear -- need some help (marthpodi)

Your tire wear would indicate an alignment problem. Incorrect inflation would result in wear on the outer, or center portions of the tire. For your comparison, my GSC Goodyears lasted over 42K. To replace your tires is your call. It is recommended that you do not have your vette aligned with the old tires, Align after you have installed the new tires.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Strange Tire wear -- need some help (Oldman)

Wear, in this case, occured on the inside of the tire, and it has always been (to my knowledge) at 44 PSI.

:confused:
Old 12-16-2002, 08:11 PM
h rocks
Safety Car

My guess is that you have at least one problem, maybe two.

1) a good alignment is definitely needed. (that RR is probably toed out and has way too much negative camber.)

2) Toe links might be worn.

3)Depending on overall mileage and how car was used, could also have worn wheel bearings contributing as well as trashed camber arm bushings.

First things first, get it aligned at a shop that KNOWS what the heck they're doing on Corvettes.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:13 PM
don hall
Safety Car

I still think you should have your alignment checked.
...44 PSI...
This pressure seems quite high. I don't know what year or model your are driving, but the inflation sticker on the door of my '93 vert recommends 30 PSI. My owners manual suggests 35 PSI for coupes. I realize the PSI on the tire suggests a max of 44 PSI.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

I still think you should have your alignment checked.
...44 PSI... This pressure seems quite high. I don't know what year or model your are driving, but the inflation sticker on the door of my '93 vert recommends 30 PSI. My owners manual suggests 35 PSI for coupes. I realize the PSI on the tire suggests a max of 44 PSI.
'89 coupe - I went by the tire rating. Should I try lowering the pressure?
Old 12-16-2002, 08:37 PM
don hall
Safety Car

.. Should I try lowering the pressure?...
I would, but first check your door sticker, or owners manual, for the recommended pressure. I believe it will recommend 35 PSI for your coupe. From published tire analysis, over-inflation causes excessive wear to the center of the tire. You should always allow for a pressure increase due to heat build-up in the tire (about 2-5 PSI). I think you will really notice the difference in your "ride" at 35 vs. 44 PSI. Again, have your whole suspension structure inspected. (I don't mean to be spending your money)
Old 12-16-2002, 08:48 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

:iagree: always use the street pressures on the door. Just because the tire can handle 44 doesn't mean it supposed to be set at 44. Normal street is 32-35 psi. Plus the higher pressure means the shocks have more stress to deal with in essence shorting you shock absorbers life expectancy.

kitt
Old 12-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Absolutely. 44psi is the maximum safe inflation pressure for the tire. You're running it at may-pop pressure. Let it down to 32 or 35. Dang, your car must ride really harsh on 44psi. Like bone jarring harsh.

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 8:05 PM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 10:13 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Strange Tire wear -- need some help (Lone Ranger)

Absolutely. 44psi is the maximum safe inflation pressure for the tire. You're running it at may-pop pressure. Let it down to 32 or 35. Dang, your car must ride really harsh on 44psi. Like bone jarring harsh.

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 8:05 PM 12/16/2002]
..and all this time I thought it was just the vaunted "stiff" ride of the 'vette :jester

Thanks for the help guys. I'll lower pressure and then probably drive with these tires for a while. After I get new ones (Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's all around?) I'll get an alignment. I just don't know of any good shops nearby to do one...
Old 12-16-2002, 10:27 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your uneven wear may have been helped by the high tire pressure but you definitely have a problem elsewhere. The psi on the side of the tire (44 in your case) is the maximum recommended for load carrying or for unique handling requirements. Check out the tirerack to understand max pressure, load, etc. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...l#maxinflation

As already mentioned 35psi is a good all around pressure. I would replace all four of the tires and get a four wheel alignment from a reputable shop that knows Corvettes. There is a pretty good chance that some part of your suspension is worn and will need to be replaced.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:08 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Strange Tire wear -- need some help (96LT1)

Your uneven wear may have been helped by the high tire pressure but you definitely have a problem elsewhere. The psi on the side of the tire (44 in your case) is the maximum recommended for load carrying or for unique handling requirements. Check out the tirerack to understand max pressure, load, etc. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...l#maxinflation

As already mentioned 35psi is a good all around pressure. I would replace all four of the tires and get a four wheel alignment from a reputable shop that knows Corvettes. There is a pretty good chance that some part of your suspension is worn and will need to be replaced.
Sounds good (and expensive) but I don't know of any reputable Corvette/alignment places...will have to go hunting.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:59 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

44psi, good lord thats high

I keep mine at 35psi, the sidewall pressure is the maximum youre supposed to run.

As others have said, you should probably replace the toe rods and get a good alignment after the new tires go on.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Tire wear -- need some help

Quick Reply: Strange Tire wear -- need some help