C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant

Old 12-21-2002, 03:23 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant

Im getting ready to change my oil pan gasket, and I heard I should'nt use a gasket. I should just use RTV sealant. If I were just to use sealant, I would almost think it would be impossiable to remove the pan without damaging it.
Any thoughts on this matter would greatly be appreciated. :cheers:
Old 12-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

Default Re: Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant (1SLO POK)

I would always use a gasket. Never use that sealant crap.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:31 PM
EDMGUY
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant (1SLO POK)

I would use the 1 pc. gasket from fel-pro and when I change mine I did not used any sealant and its holding no oil leaks EDMGUY :cheers:
Old 12-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts

I have the same thing on mine. No leaks. Most of the time if people have leaks from the oil pan it's because the pans warped
Old 12-21-2002, 03:40 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant (Phobos84)

I m glad to hear everyone so far is using a gasket. I will go that route. It was hard enough to remove the pan with a gasket. :thumbs:
Old 12-22-2002, 11:50 PM
oldace84
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

No oil pan is easy to change....must just grit your teeth and do what you have to......by the way why are you working on changeing the pan????
Buy the best gaskets available..don't scemp on prices$$$$$$$$$$$

While its off, why not install a high volume pump...good idea...
:reddevil

[Modified by oldace84, 11:51 PM 12/22/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 04:16 AM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant (oldace84)

It leaks, that is why Im changing it.

:D :D I went to my local Auto Zone today and had a choice between a $10.99 or a $25.00 oil pan gasket kit. So I told the guy let me see both. :confused: The first kit was the $10.99. It was your typical cork type set :( The $25.00 kit :thumbs: To say I was amazed would be a understatement. I must have been in a cave for the last 2 years. For anyone thinking about getting a Oil Pan Gasket Kit, go with the ONE PIECE GASKET. It even included new bolts :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-23-2002, 08:32 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you know why your leaking oil?

The reason I did my oil pan gasket was it was getting massive blowby down past the rings, which was pressurizing the crank, therefore the oil was being forced out past the gasket.

You may want to have a leakdown test done, just to make sure that is not the problem. :cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 06:07 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant (ski_dwn_it)

Do you know why your leaking oil?

The reason I did my oil pan gasket was it was getting massive blowby down past the rings, which was pressurizing the crank, therefore the oil was being forced out past the gasket.

You may want to have a leakdown test done, just to make sure that is not the problem. :cheers:
Thanks for that info. If I find it is still leaking, I'll look into it :cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 06:15 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't forget to put some RTV where the oilpan gasket meets the timing cover gasket.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:03 PM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: (scorp508)

Don't forget to put some RTV where the oilpan gasket meets the timing cover gasket.
Nope, I did'nt forget. I was surprise the kit did'nt supply a little tube of RTV. It had everything else. Put the gasket on lastnight. :thumbs: Lookin good so far. :cheers:
Old 12-23-2002, 09:17 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: (1SLO POK)

How much time and trouble was involved in changing your oilpan gasket? I need to do mine, but I haven't worked up the nerve yet? Zane
Old 12-24-2002, 11:50 AM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: (94redrag)

How much time and trouble was involved in changing your oilpan gasket? I need to do mine, but I haven't worked up the nerve yet? Zane
It took me all after noon, because I replace and repaired other things while I was down there. But I would guess If I were to just do the oil pan gasket, maybe an hour. But that doesn't include jacking the car up and draining the oil, and cleaning the pan.
The hard part of the job for me was cleaning the old gasket off the block. That took more time then it did taking off and putting the pan on both together. One thing I would advise, and it will make the job easier is, just disconnect the oil cooler line that runs under the pan. You probably could do it with it connected, but it is a pain trying to do it with it on. For me it was anyway. Other then that. "A piece of cake".
Just make sure you get the 1 pc. gasket kit. It cost a little more, but well worth every cent :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Tips on Changing Oil Pan Gasket, should I use a gasket or just RTV sealant