C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

courtesy light delay timer on a 1991

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 12:56 AM
Bobness
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default courtesy light delay timer on a 1991

My courtesy lights stay on for approx. 15 minutes before automatically shutting off. Based on my limited knowledge, I am guessing the problem is the courtesy light delay timer.
Can anyone confirm that to be the cause?
Can anyone tell me where the delay timer is located on a `91?
And is it possible that removing/reinstalling the timer would "reset" it and it would resume normal operation?
Old 12-25-2002, 10:39 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Re: courtesy light delay timer on a 1991 (Bobness)

The Courtesy Light Relay is located in the bottom right hand side of the Inst. Panel. I do not see any mention of a "timer" in the circuit diagnosis. The Courtesy Light Relay is energized by the Central Control Module. The problem could be with the CCM, the Door Ajar Switch, the Relay, or there may a loose ground connection. Since the system is working (just not on a timely basis), any electrical diagnosis will be difficult. The easiest, and cheapest fix would be to locate and replace the relay, or just live with the delayed turn-off.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:30 AM
RubyRoger
Cruising

I believe I have read that the courtesy lights and the radio re supposed to stay on for approx. 15 min. after they key is off. They should go off as soon as you open the door. Check the plunger switch on the drivers side back door jamb about halfway up. I had to spray mine with contact cleaner to get it to work right.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Bobness
Heel & Toe

The problem occurs regardless of whether I am getting into the car (in which case they definitely should not stay on for the first 15 minutes that I am driving the car), or when I get out of the car (in which case all interior lights stay on for 15 minutes after I walk away from the car). Both door switches have been replaced and everything was working fine. This "extended delay" problem is a recent development.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:10 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL man, I think I can fix your problem. I had the same one myself on my 90. Contrary to replacing your light sensor switches.....I don't think there's anything wrong with them or that there probably wasn't anything wrong with them in the first place. It may in fact just be that the driver door sensor isn't completely being pushed in. The 15 minutes I believe is to automatically shut off the lights for energy conservation to not drain the battery if you fall asleep or somethin while workin on your car with the door open.(Every time I'm cleaning the dash at night I have to close and reopen the door after about 15 minutes or the light goes off.) I know this may sound stupid, but it fixed my problem altogether. My alarm would go off too which was a PIA cuz the alarm sensors tripped when the light sensor tripped. Anyway, I superglued a nickel to the little black pad where the sensor meets the hinge bay last week and never had a prob since. When I shut the door I'm assured that the sensor **** won't come out of the spring until I open the door.(The thickness is far greater than the plastic pad meant for contact with the spring and helps keep the spring all the way in.) Definitely the first diagnosis everyone here should do before more costly options. Simple, out of the way and hardly expensive at 5 cents. :D :seeya
Old 12-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Bobness
Heel & Toe

Default Re: courtesy light delay timer on a 1991 (MaSTeRofDZaSTeR)

MaSTeRofDZaSTeR:

Thanks for the tip. On the `91 the door jamb switches are self-adjusting (upon initial installation)...rather than glueing a nickel to the door jamb "landing pad", I'll try pulling the "plunger" slightly out of the body of the door-mounted switch.

In your case, if the switch was not fully depressed, resulting in your courtesy lights staying on, did the "Door Ajar" light stay on too? Mine doesn't, leading me to think that the switch is depressed sufficiently.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Bobness
Heel & Toe

Default Re: courtesy light delay timer on a 1991 (Oldman)

I replaced the 'courtesy light relay" and no luck...the problem still exists.

[Modified by Bobness, 10:29 PM 12/26/2002]
Old 12-27-2002, 10:02 AM
91drptop
Advanced

At least I'm not alone in this world! I have the exact same problem on my '91. It showed up about 2 months ago then magically "fixed" itself after a few weeks of annoyance. But just in time for X-mas it started up again. If anyone figures this thing out PA-Lease let me know!
Old 12-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Bobness
Heel & Toe

Default Re: courtesy light delay timer on a 1991 (91drptop)

The car spent yesterday at the stereo shop and when I got it back;
a) the courtesy light fuse was blown
b) the radio had lost correct time and all preset stations

I replaced the fuse and everything is working fine now. I'm pretty sure they disconnected the battery while they worked on the car, and I am speculating that this "reset" whatever component controls the delay on the courtesy lights. Try disconnecting/re-connecting your battery?

[Modified by Bobness, 2:36 AM 12/29/2002]
Old 01-10-2003, 09:59 AM
91drptop
Advanced

Well I replaced the fuse and disconnected the battery but still the dreaded light stayed on! Kinda embarrassing driving at night with all of your courtesy lights on. I started looking at my door switch and of course it was broken. I havent really looked at a whole one but I assume that there is a nice flush end on it. That piece was broken off of mine so you had a rough outside circle and an interior button. Both moved at the same time when I pushed on the outside of the switch. I took a closer look and it appears it is actually a two stage switch with the outside working the "door ajar" light and the inside working the interior lights. So I pried the button out, it has a post attached to it, and placed two small washers behind the button. WALA! darkness. So eventuall it looks like new door switches are in order :hurray:
Old 01-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Bobness
Heel & Toe

Default Re: courtesy light delay timer on a 1991 (91drptop)

It is not a two stage switch. The "button with a post" is the self-adjuster. When you buy a new switch, it is fully extended. After you install it and close the door for the first time, it is pushed into the "outside circle" the appropriate depth.

How long did you leave the battery disconnected? I don't know if there is a minimum time required for the possible reset to occur.

When you get ready to replace the switches, give me your email address and I'll email you info on removing both door panels so...there are hidden screws.

Get notified of new replies

To courtesy light delay timer on a 1991

Quick Reply: courtesy light delay timer on a 1991