C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 11:25 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set

I have the Meziere electric water pump and Cloyes double roller timing set coming for my 95. I already tapped out the water pump drive, now does the resulting hole in the block need to be plugged?

I know the hole in the timing cover needs to be plugged.

I seem to remember a thread a while back that said if something was not plugged, an oil leak will result after a while... I want to make sure I address that.

Any other setup advise?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 01-03-2003, 03:06 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (ninetyfivevette)

Anyone? I am doing this tomorrow to help a fellow forum member with his install.

Old 01-03-2003, 05:00 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (ninetyfivevette)

I have not done this yet, but I believe the oil leak that you are referring to is caused by not sealing the timing cover hole, where the waterpump drive used to go through.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:40 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (93 ragtop)

I left mine open. If I recall correctly so did a number of others.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:53 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (ericcer)

I just read a real good article discussing cooling systems. The writer warned against using electric h2o pumps on street cars. Due to the fact they do not build up enough pushing pressure. The added pressure allows the water boiling temp to increase, and reduces the amount of steam produced in the engine. He said that the electric pumps are only really adequate for drag race engines and should be avoided on Street/strip cars.

Just wanted to bring this to light...The cloyes timing sets are real nice. I have one that has ~1000 miles on it that I can no longer use...with my new setup.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:22 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (ski_dwn_it)

I just read a real good article discussing cooling systems. The writer warned against using electric h2o pumps on street cars. Due to the fact they do not build up enough pushing pressure. The added pressure allows the water boiling temp to increase, and reduces the amount of steam produced in the engine. He said that the electric pumps are only really adequate for drag race engines and should be avoided on Street/strip cars.
Any idea where you read this? I'm curious as to what the article was using for reference. On the surface it sounds a bit bogus. The pressure is created by the coolant heating up and expanding (and boiling), not by the pump. In any case the pressure of the coolant won't exceed the pressure relief of the radiator cap (~15lbs). The pump just supplies flow (volume), it would only build pressure against a restriction.

The HD Meziere supplies the same flow as the OE pump when the engine is turning ~4K rpm (information was fuzzy what happens above 4K as the OE pump cavitates badly above 4K). My engine temps dropped 10 degrees in normally aggressive driving with the Meziere.

As for other advice, I know of 2 people that had the inline fuse holder melt (1 F-body, 1 Y-body) and stop the pump. I'd recommend cutting it out and using an automotive fuse holder as far away from any heat as possible. Also, use a good quality relay. I had a cheapo (hey, all relays are the same, right :mad ) relay that went south and stopped the pump.

[Modified by John Row, 1:28 PM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (John Row)

Don't shoot the messenger :D

Here is the article: Can't prove or disprove any of their claims, but I have heard several similiar claims with electric water pumps and street driven engines. In one magazine I had their advertisement said right on it, NOT intended for street use. After seeing that I gave up on the idea. One other thing is the Summit advertisement on their page state a 2000 hour life expectancy...that seems a little quick, but then again who know if that operating time or overall life. On my car if its operating time, it would last forever.

And wasn't Ralph checking into this a while back and was having problems with his heater hose or something. How did you guys avoid this? Or are they different on the two cars?
http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeA...oolingmods.cfm

Read the article and you can see if you agree or not. Its one of those things that has a whole lot of gray. :cheers:

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 2:39 PM 1/3/2003]

[Modified by ski_dwn_it, 2:47 PM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 02:57 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (ericcer)

I left mine open. If I recall correctly so did a number of others.
Same here.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:20 PM
vanduker
Drifting

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (STL94LT1)

From the article:

"At best these pumps can flow 30 GPH and only build about 5 psi in the block."

From http://www.meziere.com/

42 GPM flowing rating (Heavy-duty version flows 50 GPM).

Not sure what the stock pump flows it it seems it must be less than the Meziere. Are there any options other than stock or electric? Not that I plan on taking my Meziere off....

Mark
Old 01-03-2003, 03:27 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (ski_dwn_it)

Don't shoot the messenger :D
Read the article and you can see if you agree or not. Its one of those things that has a whole lot of gray. :cheers:
It's an intersting article, you are correct, it is very generic. It appears that the author is not aware of the LT1, LT4, LS1 or LS6 engines so it may have been written 10-12 years ago. That's a problem with web pages, no copyrite page to see if the information is current.

Meziere says 2500 operating hours as MTBF for the heavy duty pump and it flows ~45gph.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:45 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set (John Row)

I agree... It seems that the article would be refering to the types of electric pumps that were ment for the strip and not continous duty. I don't think Meziere actually comes out and says it is great for day to day use, but with a MTBF of 2500 hours, I just plan to put an hour gauge on it and also an amp meter so I can keep an eye on it.

Not to mention that this is a brushless motor (basically a dc servo), and the older electric water pumps maybe were not...

Not sure how this relates, but with car manufactures are starting to use dc motors to run things like power steering; the technology or atleast confidence must be getting better.

Well, thanks, it sounds like I can leave the block hole open.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set

Quick Reply: Perparing for Meziere & Cloyes timing set