C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700r4 rebuild question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Default 700r4 rebuild question...

I searched the archives and couldn't find an answer...so I am sorry if this is a repeat.

When re-building your tranny with one of the rebuild kits....this doesn't include pump-related materials does it? the reason I ask is that I think my pump went out because it won't move in ANY gear(it does creep when you rev upto 3500rps).....Is the pump something you can buy seperately?

[Modified by Bruthish, 5:51 PM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Vette9d1
Drifting

Default Re: 700r4 rebuild question... (Bruthish)

I don't know about your question but try to find a kit that has more than the stock number of 3-4 clutch pack clutches. Stock has 6 I think and with this few they go out fairly frequently. My rebuild included 8 high quality clutches. While you are in there it might be a good idea to put a higher stall converter. If you want more performance its a good option.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:24 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 700r4 rebuild question... (Vette9d1)

The trans rebuild kits usually don't include a new pump, they are an expensive option, but well worth it. Having fried 5 700R4 trannies, I know what your experiencing. Your clutch packs are probably burnt up. Did 3/4 gear go out first then youonly had 1/2, then they went away? Is your fluid brown or black and smell like burnt toast. Don't even attempt to rebuild it yourself, unless you have done it before and have all the special tools. Take a look at http://www.levelten.com they sell parts (including super pumps) and manuals. In my quests for transmissions, I found several tranny shops selling specail parts to make the tranny better/stronger. Good luck to ya.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:07 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call you local trans parts supply warehouse. A pump is only about $30. You can change it yourself, just dont mess the seals up on the pump input support shaft.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:32 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 700r4 rebuild question... (BBA)

It's not the pump. It's the conveter. There are no seals inside the pump. The only pump seals needed are the front seal that goes around the converter hub, the big "O" ring around the whole pump, and there is a gasket between the pump and the case. The only othere seals are around the bolts. The pump is actually a high dollar part on these. The cheaper ones are for 350s and 400s......... the cast iron pumps. These pumps are really pretty stout, I tried (not really) to junk mine when my converter went out last time by driving it back to the shop (here where I work). I really overheated it and popped the front seal out. It laid down a smoke screen then and when I got to the shop I had to add fluid to pull up the small ramp into the shop. When I pulled the trans I pulled it apart to inspect it and the only thing I hurt was the front bushing in the pump...........(melted slightly). I opened the pump and it was fine save for a few scratches. Money was an issue and it was mine so I got new sels, a bushing, a converter (100 bucks) and put it back together.
OK so what kind of converter did I get for 100 bucks? I bought it from a supplier called Dakko and it has 2100 rpm stall. that's plenty for an old worn out engine and it works real well.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 700r4 rebuild question... (BBA)

Call you local trans parts supply warehouse. A pump is only about $30. You can change it yourself, just dont mess the seals up on the pump input support shaft.
:yesnod:

I also upgraded my pump from 7 vane to 9 vane. There is also a 12 vane, but was not available for my year. I hope you have a manual for the tranny, but if not when you rebuilt the pump make sure to run a clamp around the circumfrence of the pump to insure both halfs are ligned up. You can make a clamp out hose clamps.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Probuilt
Advanced

The 700R4 front pump should be blue printed, new stator, rotor, slide, Trans-Go No Yo Yo steel rings, teflon bushing, .471 or .500 main boost valve, .296 intermediate/reverse boost valve, new after market pressure regulator valve, Trans-Go 7lb PR spring, both halves machined to give .001-.0015 clearance on the rotor & slide, etc. No matter what rebuild kit you use, this should be done to get the maximum performance and life from the front pump. If you any questions about, this let me know?

[Modified by Probuilt, 6:04 PM 1/9/2003]

[Modified by Probuilt, 6:06 PM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:30 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 700r4 rebuild question... (Probuilt)

Probuilt...that was a most excellant post!

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4 rebuild question...

Quick Reply: 700r4 rebuild question...