C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 11:02 AM
BILLY D
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake.

Is it possible to port a stock 91 intake to flow like a big mouth intake and is it worth it? I would like to go with large tube runners at some point and wondered if a ported stock intake would work just as good as a large mouth or would I loose a little? Is it worth the difference? I want to keep the car looking stock but would like some more power as we all do. I also heard the Big mouth is about 1/4 inch shorter than stock on the ends. Anyone have sealing problems?

THANKS
BILLY
Old 01-07-2003, 11:19 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (BILLY D)

If you ported it all the way, you might get it or get close, but then you will have no upwards potential like the BigMouth does. Save your money for a bigmouth.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (BILLY D)

My fully ported Edelbrock base and runners flowed 8% better than my fully ported stock base and runners. The aftermarket ones are not worth the money in my opinion. The aftermarket ones do have more meat if you just plan on hogging them out.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:43 PM
BILLY D
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (Aaron's 87)

Arron: Did your stock base use the large tube runners or stock runners when you did your flow measurements? How much does it cost to port a stock base?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

The 8% gain was the ported Edelbrock base and runners versus the ported stock base and runners. The Edelbrock runners are a couple tenths of an inch bigger than the stock runners. Porting will depend on who does it and how much they charge. You can do it yourself in a day, but it's good to know what you're doing, or you can do more harm than good.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:17 AM
VetteRacer282
Drifting

Manifold yes you can port it. Runners I dont beleive so because they are smaller outer diameter as well.

Dont let anyone tell you otherwise on the manifold, the meats there, and aftermarket manifold cant offer any more meat because the runner holes and head holes have to be in the same place...
Matt
Old 01-09-2003, 12:59 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (VetteRacer282)

aftermarket manifold cant offer any more meat because the runner holes and head holes have to be in the same place...
Not exactly the case Matt. The aftermarket big base has physically larger diameter runners. This is the reason a stock HEI distributor will not fit correctly on one. We had to use a small base diameter distributor on the last one I helped install because the number 7 runner interferred with the stock HEI distributor base, it's that much larger.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (BBA)

As far as price of the aftermarket Highflow intakes and runners and them not being worth it I will have to argue. I picked up a new in the box Edelbrock high flow intake and runners from ebay for $430. Thats $200 less then Summit racing. There is a lot of room for porting if you want to invest the time/money. As far as compairing flow numbers of different intakes buy the TPIS book Insider Hints. They have pages and pages of dyno runs with different intakes on it. They don't list the Edelbrock but it is the exact same thing as the TPIS Big mouth. They just slap different names on them in the factory. The tests from TPIS show that a fully ported stock intake made better power in the 1000-1800 rpm range but a non ported High flow intake beat it in every other rpm. They didn't list any ported numbers for the high flow so I don't know what a ported one will do.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (Phobos84)

WOW, they got better numbers from a product they sell?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 PM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Is it possible to port a stock 91 intake to flow like a big mouth intake and is it worth it? I would like to go with large tube runners at some point and wondered if a ported stock intake would work just as good as a large mouth THANKS BILLY
In a word, no. Just take a look at the stock base compared to the big mouth, or super ram base and you'll see why. I haven't had any issues with my Accel base, don't think it's any shorter, but didn't measure it either.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:04 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake. (Phobos84)

The tests from TPIS show that a fully ported stock intake made better power in the 1000-1800 rpm range but a non ported High flow intake beat it in every other rpm. They didn't list any ported numbers for the high flow so I don't know what a ported one will do.
...Which brings up another question...one that had to surface sooner or later:

How would the big mouth compare to the siamesed factory base?

Get notified of new replies

To Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake.

Quick Reply: Can stock 91 Intake be ported to flow like a Big mouth intake.