C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals and pragram for lt1

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 06:44 PM
TAOS6Speed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals and pragram for lt1

Getting close to ordering hot cam kit, What are all the seals I will have to replace and estimated cost for seals? I have read what people say about running lt4 hot cam in lt4 engin with stock tunning and say it runs very well. How about hot cam in lt1 engin? I know thay will run better with pcm program but for now how will I like the way it will run on stock program. Will the hypertech and or MSD I have help? So for all the lt1 owners that have put hot cam in and ran on stock tunning I would like to here your input. One more thing what about the check engin light has it came on with your cam in, or any other check lights? Thanks for your input.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Newbie85
Racer

Default Re: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals and pragram for lt1

I've been contemplating the same...Anyone???
Old 01-31-2003, 11:38 PM
TAOS6Speed
Intermediate

Default Re: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals and pragram for lt1 (Newbie85)

Did not mean to clik on new poll, ment for new topic sorry. Would still like to here reply.thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 12:03 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals

Here is a list of everything I replaced (seal wise):

Intake gasket kit, Felpro ~$20
Timing cover kit, Felpro, ~$15
Valve stem seals, Felpro, ~$20
Oil pan gasket, Felpro, ~$35

You may or may not need the oil pan gasket, but mine ripped when I tried to seperate the timing cover from it. I am pretty sure this will cover it, as this is the list of things I just picked up today to do my Hot Cam swap, so I will find out later this weekend if I need more :cheers:

Good luck!
Mike
Old 02-02-2003, 06:30 AM
LT4396
Navigator

Default Re: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam,

The hotcam will definitly set a ck engine lite. Stock programming cannot deal w/the map sensor reading w/that much duration/overlap. I have had a good deal of experience w/mods on these engines, and would not recommend Ed Wright for reprogramming, altho other's call him a "Guru", that is far from my experience. I went from his programming (custom for my car) to a program from MTI in Houston, and the difference was night and day. The car felt like it picked up 100 hp.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:24 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, (LT4396)

My car was programed by Ed Write and runs pretty good. But if you could have a local guy do a dyno tune I'd go that route. When I do more work I'll have ECS in NJ do the tuning on the dyno and street.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, (LT4396)

We ran the stock programming with the LT4 and hot cam with no issues at all. Note once did it set the check engine light in that configuration. Your results may vary....

'96 LT4 Torch red/Torch red Coupe 396 Lunati Pro Mod rotating assy, 'printed, Comp 306, Magnum roller rockers, AFR rev kit, Ported LT4 heads w/2.055 intakes flowing 301 cfm, ported LT4 intake/1,000cfm TB, Granatelli MAF, Aeromotive FP, NX wet 200/250 NOS, Hooker ceramic full length, Centerforce, B&M shifter, ZR1 wheels, Nitto D.R. Tuning by Scott Whitehorn @ Jenkins Perf. Keller, TX. Parts breakage by MOI.
Hey LT4396, sounds like you have some healthy mods. Do you have any performance data for that monster on motor (timeslips or dyno data)?

Get notified of new replies

To Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals and pragram for lt1

Quick Reply: Getting all the ducks in a row for hot cam, questions about seals and pragram for lt1