C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 04:31 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too?

Topic says it all. Having it checked next Wednesday. Got a price on the main cat already but then I started thinking about the pre-cats too. mo money, mo money, mo money!!
Old 02-04-2003, 04:35 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Best answer to give is "not necessarily". Mine weren't when my main one was.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:36 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Default Re: If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too? (gpagaduan)

And by the way, do the smog stations in CA visually inspect the pre-cats? :reddevil
Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (scorp508)

Best answer to give is "not necessarily". Mine weren't when my main one was.
:iagree: your best bet is to punch out the main cat with a crow bar or "gut" it till you can afford a new cat. no one would be able to tell you were gutted visually & it is much better for your engine than a plugged cat. it will also drive a LOT stronger.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:39 PM
Ivory90
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too? (gpagaduan)

I have yet to have a "smog pro" do the visual for the precats. I don't think alot of them know that L98's have 3 cats.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:02 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Default Re: If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too? (Ivory90)

Ok, I know this is a dumb question but riddle me this?
The exhuast setup goes....

Engine - Headers - pipe is seperate/goes through precats - comes back next to eachother in center/goes through cat...and so forth

Is that right???

Cause if so, when I bought my corvette it had (still has) no precats, but it looks like it still has that main cat, I think(hope :D ) it may be punched out. Do you think they would've punched it out when they took out the precats, would it be ridiculous for them not to???

P.S. No smog testing here! :D

[Modified by USAsOnlyWay, 1:08 AM 2/5/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too?

Quick Reply: If my main cat is clogged, does that usually mean the pre-cats are clogged too?