C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

stealth ram custom plenums

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Default stealth ram custom plenums

I have contacted and worked with several custom intake builders, this is one of several TESTED PROTO-TYPE PLENUMS (unlike the TOTALLY untested PLENUM offered by others made of folded thin aluminum) this one will be in production shortly

Ok its finally available!
A C-4 compatible height plenum that fits the superb flowing HOLLEY EFI STEALTH RAM base yet fits under the stock C-4 hood line
This is a quantum leap forward in airflow over the stock
EFI intake runners and base
The aftermarket base flows significantly more air, than the stock EFI intake
CAREFUL DESIGN changes to the CUSTOM C-4 COMPATIBLE PLENUM designed and tested by FASTERDEALS.COM, INC. Allows a C-4 owner to now fit the superior horsepower potential under a C-4 hood; it has several important design changes to better match the C-4 engine compartment
For EXAMPLE
The rear of the plenum is slightly angled for improved distributor clearance,
The vacuum fittings are moved to the sides for improved distributor clearance, in the tight C-4 engine compartment, the throttle body is angled downward for greater hood clearance the FASTERDEALS.COM, INC design is 3" tall versus original aftermarket plenum which is about 4” inches tall, this brings the height down to about 9” to allow the stock C-4 hood to close.
The FASTERDEALS.COM, INC design plenum will be priced at $249 plus shipping and handling (PLENUM ONLY,DOES NOT INCLUDE STEATH RAM BASE, BASE AVAILABLE WITH CUSTOM PLENUM SHORTLY)
QUESTIONs CALL 1-561-798-9067
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld8..._stealhram.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld8...ram_plenum.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld8...hood_close.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld85//otherangle.jpg

pictures are of one of the final TESTED proto-type plenums, the finish on production plenums will be smoother, these are custom made ! it would cost you over $1000 to have most custom shops build you these but they are in production and will be shipped shortly

[Modified by grumpyvette, 12:30 AM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 12:43 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (grumpyvette)

:cool:
Old 02-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Bluevette85
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

links to pictures don't work.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:48 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (Bluevette85)

Yea I'd like to see these puppies also.
So how much PITA is it to mount these plenums on a Stealthram intake?
Does the stock Stealthram plenum have to be cut off, or is it attached via bolts or something?
I looked at the fasterdeals.com website and they sell anime and knife stuff. Says nothing about cars.. :confused:

[Modified by MrNuke, 12:02 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 01:00 PM
MrJay
Burning Brakes

The link does not work.... :sad:

Jay
Old 02-12-2003, 01:45 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (MrJay)

Im working on the link guys it should be up today, Im working on it!
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld8..._stealhram.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld8...ram_plenum.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld8...hood_close.jpg

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/ld85//otherangle.jpg

[Modified by grumpyvette, 10:57 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 02:05 PM
86VETTEMAN
Pro

Link still doen't work.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:12 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

it says the photos dont exist
Old 02-12-2003, 06:21 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (bill mcdonald)

Old 02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (ld85)

Wow that's a close call on the height.
So like I asked earlier, hwo do you attack these to the stealthram intake?
Do you have to saw the plenum it comes with off and screw this on it ? I have seen the Stealthrams, but didn't see any screws on them yet...
Please let me (us) know.

TY
Old 02-12-2003, 06:54 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (MrNuke)

the stock TPI is 8 5/8" tall in front and 9 1/2" tall in back

(THE PLENUM BOLTS ON THE BASE WITH 4 BOLTS)

the custom plenum brings the holley stealth rams height down from just over 10" too 9" and it has a downward angled throttle body mount that also helps clear the stock hood.
keep in mind that the stock TPI flows about 190-200cfm the steath ram flows close to 300cfm
the formula for POTENTIAL HP FROM AIR FLOW is (.257 X flow X #of cylinders= POTENTIAL HP
now that means youll have a hard time getting over 420hp with a stock untouched TPI but could potentially use a STEATH RAM to feed over 550hp

[Modified by grumpyvette, 12:23 AM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 07:23 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

Stupid question, but how come the hoods not actually closed in the picture?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:25 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (flyersfan1088)

the hoods not closed to show that you cant use a STOCK NON-MODIFIED STEATHRAM
THE HOOD CLOSES JUST FINE WITH THE MODIFIED PLENUM
Old 02-12-2003, 08:12 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the formula for POTENTIAL HP FROM AIR FLOW is (.257 X flow X #of cylinders= POTENTIAL HP
Please share where in the WORLD you got that equation....I do R&D on Winston Cup engines and have never seen an equation like that. The only way to know how much power you're going to make is if you can predict the IMEP in the cylinder, which you can't do with a simple airflow number multiplied by a coefficient. There's too many other things going on for this equation to be valid, or even close to valid.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (CorvetteZ51Racer)

http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/headflow.htm

admitedly its just a rough guide, but try it against the dyno results of most STREET DRIVEN 23 DEGREE HEAD SMALL BLOCKS and youll find its close to the dyno results (also keep in mind thats FLOW THROUGH THE WHOLE ENGINE, if your intake flows 300cfm but your cam only allows 230cfm at its max lift your down to 230cfm reguardless of intake flow (weakest link as they say) cross check both the intake port head flow numbers,at the max intake valve lift and assume that the car has a reasonably effective exhaust scavageing systen and around a BSFC of .45 lbs/hr and runs on 92 octane ,and a dynamic compression ratio that stays out of detonation ,youll see how close it works

now we both know you guys running restrictor equiped nascar engines are in a totally differant world than street sbc engines

[Modified by grumpyvette, 1:33 AM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 08:27 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/headflow.htm

admitedly its just a rough guide, but try it against the dyno results of most STREET DRIVEN 23 DEGREE HEAD SMALL BLOCKS and youll find its close to the dyno results
now we both know you guys running restrictor equiped nascar engines are in a totally differant world than street sbc engines
Well, 2 things:
1) I don't care what anyone says, there is not a linear relationship between airflow and power. There simply isn't. I've seen and done more than enough dyno work to know that.

2) did I ever say restricted motors? Yes, we do deal with different components, operating ranges, and lifespan requirements....and yes we do get a lot more **** about 1 HP here or 3 HP there, but we still deal with the same problems of "how do we get more air in, and once it's in, how do we burn it as fast as possible to make the most efficient use of what we've gotten into the engine, and once it's burned, how do we get as much as possible out of the motor". We work under different operating conditions, but the fundamentals are the same.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:39 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (CorvetteZ51Racer)

damn your quick I had not even finished typing all the info when you answered,
YES I agree that theres no direct relationship between port flow and hp, if there was we would just use huge ports and valves and ignore air flow speeds,turbulance,burn times, ignition advance, compression ratios,ETC. but even you will admit that a gain in flow from 190-200cfm to 300cfm will increase POTENTIAL HP by a great deal more than 100hp at least in theory

Get notified of new replies

To stealth ram custom plenums

Old 02-12-2003, 08:50 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

damn your quick I had not even finished typing all the info when you answered,
YES I agree that theres no direct relationship between port flow and hp, if there was we would just use huge ports and valves and ignore air flow speeds,turbulance,burn times, ignition advance, compression ratios,ETC. but even you will admit that a gain in flow from 190-200cfm to 300cfm will increase POTENTIAL HP by a great deal more than 100hp at least in theory
Yes, there is a significant gain in potential horsepower output by airflow. However, one thing which has not been mentioned until your above post is port velocities, turbulence, etc. Having gigantic ports is quite often (for a street car) the LAST thing you want. If you can not generate the pressure drop up the runner, you won't flow any air. If your port is too big for your heads, cam, piston speeds, exhaust system, etc you can lose power by putting a larger intake manifold on the motor.

The whole reason why the prototype manifold I'm designing is starting from scratch, not modifying an existing manifold is because based on my experience, 300 CFM worth of flow is more than a street SBC could ever use, unless you're talking about a 7000 rpm 383. Then you're just getting into the appropriate size range for the combination.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am most definitely not knocking your work. There is definitely a market out there for people who want a modded Stealth Ram for their cars. Unfortunately people get caught up in this mind set that more flow capability is better. It's not necessarily. If I put a set of Hendrick's SB2.2 heads on my engine (I won't tell you exactly what they flow, but it's well over 300) with my stock cam, the car's going to be a complete and total dog. If your intake manifold doesn't generate an average port velocity of approximately 300 ft/sec airflow at peak power, the manifold is too big for the combination. You want the flow to just come shy of hitting choke flow at it's peak, but not actually hit it, and you'll have an optimized intake with an average port velocity of ~300 ft/s.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:10 PM
DiabolicalDave
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Grumpyvette,

Does the Holley fuel rail kit for the Stealthram work with this? So, just buy this plenum for $249, plus the Stealthram base, plus the Holley Stealthram fuel rail kit and you're in business?!
:thumbs: :hurray: :cheers:
Old 02-12-2003, 09:30 PM
DiabolicalDave
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Re: stealth ram custom plenums (DiabolicalDave)

See, awhile back Holley would sell the base without the plenum. So, they stopped doing that, huh? I was just adding it up:

7540 Stealthram $280
534-185 fuel rail kit with non-adjustable fuel pressure regulator $174
custom plenum per grumpyvette $249
TOTAL $703

Does this outflow the TPIS miniram II ?
There's another fuel rail kit, PN 534-186 that is fully adjustable but I don't know yet what it costs. This looks like the way to go.

Quick Reply: stealth ram custom plenums