C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sparks on my drivebelt

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Breezy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparks on my drivebelt

I thought I would check to see if there was any arcing from my wires so I went out after dark, started it up to check. There is arcing all along the drivebelt. At the alternator, the balancer, etc. Every where the belt goes over a pulley. Seems like a strange place for this to occur. Does anyone know whats up with this.
I don't know if its related but my car has started running rough lately. I think its got a good tune up and it was running fine until recently. I thought maybe I got some bad gas so I added some injector cleaner but it didn't help.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:35 AM
merrick
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Sparks on my drivebelt (Breezy)

Probably just static electricity. Low humidity in the air makes the static worse
Old 03-21-2003, 08:09 AM
sumoboy
Racer

Check the plug wires around the optispark. Wire could be loose or rubbed on something and is opened. Also check your idler pulley for bearing wear which causes spark but not the arc. :thumbs:
Old 03-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Breezy
Instructor

Merrick-it does seem like static and I probably wouldn't be concerned except that its started running so rough.

Sumo-I checked the wires already/no help. I shouldn't have used the work spark since it is definitely an arc.

thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Sparks on my drivebelt

Quick Reply: Sparks on my drivebelt