C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

custom c-4 plenums now available

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:22 AM
grumpyvette
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Default custom c-4 plenums now available

HERES THE STANDARD HOLLEY(R) STEALTH RAM AT 10" PLUS IN HEIGHT ITS ABOUT 1/2" TO TALL TO FIT UNDER THE STOCK C-4 HOOD

LOTS OF TESTING SHOWS THAT POWDER COATING HELPS PREVENT CORROSION, and GREASY FINGER PRINTS UNLIKE BARE ALUMINUM, THIS IS A QUALITY PIECE

(1) Designed to fit under the 1984-1996-corvette hood line,

(2) Powder coated for corrosion protection and no greasy finger prints

(3) This custom plenum is designed to give a significant boost to your TPI ENGINES ability to breath efficiently at higher rpm ranges

(4) Has a huge potential horsepower advantage due to a significant increase in air flow over even a ported Chevy tuned port injection intake manifold thus increasing the engines effective rpm range

(5) Mounts to a HOLLEY® STEALTH RAM ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION BASE, and uses the HOLLEY® fuel rails and either Chevy or aftermarket throttle body and injectors

(6) Adds a true custom fabricated high dollar race engine look and air flow potential to your engine

(7) Solid welded construction with no seams to leak, easily works with turbo or
Naturally aspirated or nitrous, while each engine combo will vary, this flows enough air to support well over 500hp

heres the plenum just sitting on top of the HOLLEY(R) base(the mounting bolts are just screwed in part way AT ONLY 9" TALL IT FITS AND HAS THE POTENTIAL AIRFLOW TO BUILD AN ENGINE FAR OUT POWERING A STANDARD TPI

(1) The combo of a HOLLEY® STEALTH RAM ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION BASE, not only adds a significant potential horsepower gain due to its greater airflow, it makes both maintenance of the injectors and the removal of the intake manifold far faster and easier,(a big advantage on a racing engine based on the Chevy TPI style ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM ) unlike the stock Chevy TPI the custom stealth ram and plenum can be removed with far less disassembly time, fewer parts and has greater access to those parts plus a far straighter and less restricted path for that air flow into the cylinders

(2) Now you can add the custom PLENUM to the HOLLEY® and fit it under the stock 1985-92 L-98 corvette hoods
(3) Comes with step by step mounting instructions, bolts, and performance helpful hints

WANT a custom plenum ? $249.95 + $20 S&H
call 1-561-798-9067 for details on ordering

[Modified by grumpyvette, 1:30 PM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 08:30 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (grumpyvette)

Looks good. Do you have any dyno numbers for L98s?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:cool:
Old 03-20-2003, 08:46 AM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (hngacurv)

I tested THEM on my full roller 11:1 compression 383, it produced way over 400hp , the engine and heads you use the intake, cam , ETC. will of course determine your results but I can say the air flow potentially entering your cylinders will be far less restricted than with a ported TPI and pulling the engine to 6000rpm even with a 383 was effortless
Old 03-20-2003, 09:03 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

I'm not doubting it'll work, but I would like to see some numbers for a stock L98.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:12 AM
Not Stock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=491809

the picture is distorted slightly , the throttle body bores are about 2.25" or 57 mm
the picture of the plenum with the scratched up surface was a proto-type with 2.1" bores or 53mm bores
we did lots of testing to get the air flow correct
The pictures look good! What kind of testing did you do? What did you have to change to correct the airflow?

Please answer my question.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:01 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (Not Stock)

this is a custom welded plenum, similar to the ones the pros pay $2500 and up for from the custom builders. now the HOLLEY(R) STEALTH RAM PLENUM flows far better than the stock TPI but IT WON,T FIT UNDER THE STOCK HOOD LINE ON A C-4 CORVETTE,
there were a few ways I found to improve things in the tight C-4 engine compartment
(1)the plemum is slightly longer and much lower than the HOLLEY CAST PLENUM

(2)THE THROTTLE BODY IS ANGLED SLIGHTLY DOWNWARD FOR BETTER HOOD CLEARANCE

(3)THE THROTTLE BORES ARE LARGER THAN A STOCK TPI FOR MUCH BETTER AIR FLOW.

(4)AIR IN A STOCK TPI MUST CHANGE DIRECTIONS OVER 270 degrees AFTER IT PASSES THROUGHT THE THROTTLE BODY, THIS CUSTOM PLENUM AND STEALTH RAM BASE REDUCES THE DIRECTIONAL CHANGES TO ABOUT 1/3 OF THAT OR ABOUT 100 DEGREES.

(5)THE STOCK TPI FLOWS ABOUT 200cfm LIMITING POTENTIAL AIR FLOW AND THE ENGINES EFFECTIVE RPM RANGE, THE COMBO OF THE HOLLEY STEALTHRAM BASE AND CUSTOM PLENUM ALLOWS A MAJOR INCREASE IN EFFECTIVE RPM RANGE (RESULTS VARY WITH YOUR COMBO OF COURSE)

(6)THE INTERIOR SUPPORT TUBES FOR THE MOUNTING BOLTS are MUCH THINNER

(7)the REAR OF THE PLENUM IS SLIGHTLY ANGLED TO HELP REDUCE INTERIOR TURBULANCE

(8)THE INTERIOR SURFACES ARE SMOOTHER

(9)THE FITTINGs FOR THE SENSORS ARE MOVED TO AREAS OF NON-CRITICAL AIRFLOW AND SEATED SLIGHTLY FURTHER OUT TO REDUCE TURBULANCE IN THE PLENUM INTERIOR

(10)THERES MUCH MORE ROOM FOR WORKING ON THE DISTRIBUTOR AS THERES NO FITTINGs MOUNTED ON THAT TIGHT REAR SURFACE

(11)THEREs NO UPPER DECORATIVE RIBS TO INCREASE THE PLENUMS SURFACE AREA,(ALLOWING IT TO MORE QUICKLY ABSORB ENGINE COMPARTMENT HEAT LIKE THE STANDARD PLENUM) or to collect dirt

(12)THE PLENUM IS POWDER COATED TO PREVENT CORROSION AND FINGER PRINTS AND MAKE CLEANING EASIER

(13)PROVISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE FOR A FUTURE KIT TO FIT THE 9TH COLD START INJECTOR

[Modified by grumpyvette, 5:41 PM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Not Stock
Instructor

the picture is distorted slightly , the throttle body bores are about 2.25" or 57 mm
the picture of the plenum with the scratched up surface was a proto-type with 2.1" bores or 53mm bores

The pictures look good! What kind of testing did you do? What did you have to change to correct the airflow?

None of that answers your original post. From what you stated in many words is you built a box. That is not like a $2500.00 manifold. What testing did you do and what was changed from the original design?
Old 03-20-2003, 12:59 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Have you looked into the air distribution between the different intake ports?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:09 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (dgoodhue)

I'd like to see....

1. Results on a 350.
2. Air distrobution compared to what the miniram has for faults.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Not Stock
Instructor

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (scorp508)

None of that answers your original post. From what you stated in many words is you built a box. That is not like a $2500.00 manifold. What testing did you do and what was changed from the original design?

Well I check back for a answer on how you performed your test and I see that you were here at:
[Modified by grumpyvette, 1:30 PM 3/20/2003] And again [Modified by grumpyvette, 5:41 PM 3/20/2003]

And did not respond to a direct question posted at 12:42 PM 3/20/2003 regarding the testing YOU STATED was performed. A question that has been asked several times and ignored

At this point I would have to say something smells like

:bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs :bs
Old 03-20-2003, 07:42 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Not Stock
IT must be nice to have all the answers with no knowledge of what your talking about ! first let me say Im a retired ENGINEER,with both MECHANICAL, and ELECTRICAL EXPERIANCE from 33 years employed in those fields, Ive built racing engines for over 30 years 33 years if you count basic engine build-ups, Ive owned several mid 10 second fuel injected corvettes, Im not new at this !
I started this project 7 month ago, the first thing I did was contact a fuel injection shop with the IDEA of building a custom plenum for the stealth ram ,THE OWNER TOOK MY IDEA AND BUILT HIS OWN TOTALLY UNTESTED VERSION, I objected TO NOT TESTING , HE, WAS ONLY INTERESTED IN PROFIT NOT RESULTS
I CONTRACTED A LARGE MACHINE SHOP TO BUILT SEVERAL PROTO-TYPES, (7) by the TIME I GOT THE DESIGN CORRECT!

(1)I answered your question!
"yes it has been quite extensively flow and road tested on my 383 corvette, for flow, fuel distribution,throttle responce and hp, (with and without a nitrous plate) while the hp is meaningless because it was tested on a modified engine, I can tell you that it runs almost identically to the factory HOLLEY STEALTH RAM plenum"

(2)I ran the (7) BASIC PROTOTYPES I BUILT from ALUMINUM ON MY CORVETTE and USED A HEAT GUN like this

http://www.professionalequipment.com...x/default.htm) my brother-in-law owns to check differances in cylinder burn temps and checked plugs and used a fuel air gauge to check differances in cylinder burn temps (indicateing any fuel burn temps/mixture problems) I tried a center PLEXIGLASS baffle seperating the two banks of cylinders, I also used angled PLEXIGLASS on the rear wall to find out how slight changes helped flow/mixture temp changes, I ran a nitrous plate and looked for problems, I TRIED A WIDER and LOWER PLENUM LIKE THE SUPER RAM,I TRIED MACHINING DOWN THE HOLLEY BASE to get clearance for the STANDARD PLENUM, I TRIED,MODIFIYING the STANDARD HOLLEY PLENUM ALSO in ADDITION TO THE CUSTOM PLENUM PROTO-TYPES I checked for both good sealing and free function of the throttle body and interfearance with brackets and fuel lines and the water neck angles, all this cost me 4 months (7 months if you count time wasted waiting on some one trying to steal my ideas) and $4500 in research, while its true I don,t own a complete dyno, Ive driven the FINAL PROTO TYPE FOR TWO MONTHS LOOKING FOR FLAWS, Ive also talked with ONE OF HOLLEYS ENGINEERs and worked out several minor problems
the basic botom line here is I know through testing that BOTH the stock HOLLEY STEALTH RAM and MY CUSTOM STEALTH RAM PLENUM PRODUCE similar HP, BUT MINE FITS UNDER THE C-4 HOOD LINE

NOW if the fact that all Im saying is that it flows MUCH more air and has less restriction to airflow than the stock TPI and has the potential on almost any TPI engine to allow the engine to breath BETTER at higher RPMs is not enought for you, and the fact HOLLEY DYNO TESTED the STANDARD STEALTH RAM AND GOT A 62 HP INCREASE ON A STOCK 92 CAMARO, AND MY 1/4 mile times got noticably better after I installed a stock STEALTHRAM, (WHICH REQUIRED A CUSTOM HOOD SCOOP)(and the custom plenum was developed bye myself so that other would not NEED to cut up their hoods, and THE CUSTOM PLENUM HAD IDENTICAL MPH RESULTS than all I can say is DON,T BUY ONE!

BTW WHAT HAVE YOU BUILT,HOW MANY ENGINES? IVE BUILT WELL OVER A HUNDERED IN THE LAST 33 YEARS, IVE ALSO BUILT SEVERAL CUSTON EFI SYSTEMS AND SEVERAL CUSTOM TUNNEL RAM INTAKES, HOW MANY HAVE YOU BUILT ?

Plenum Volume

There is not going to be a simple answer to the needed plenum volume for a given application or rpm range. The good thing about plenum volume is that there is a pretty wide range that it can be and still be effective, so general rules work well. The following guide lines are for engine operating in the 5000-6000 rpm range. V8's with one large plenum feeding all 8 cylinders does not work all that well as far as the Helmholtz resonator goes, but if this is the case, plenum volume should be about 40-50% of total cylinder displacement. For a four cylinder 50-60% works well. For 3 cylinders (6 cylinder engine with two plenums), each plenum needs to be about 65-80% of the 3 cylinders it feeds. If a boost is desired in a higher rpm range, closer 7000-7500 rpm, the plenum will need to be 10-15% smaller. To get a boost in the 2500-3500 rpm range, it will need to need about 30% larger. The plenum size of a Helmholtz resonator may go against the typical plenum size rules, but the rules change when the resonator is being used. The whole Idea of a plenum is to allow the gases to slow down and gain density. The Helmholtz plenum makes a dense charge by use of pressure waves, in the same way tuned port intake runners work. This plenum sizing method does not apply to engines that to not use a tuned intake pipe. Many engine simply have the air cleaner assembly directly on the carb or throttle body having very little intake length. In those cases the Helmholtz resonator system does not work.

BTW ALL PLENUMS ARE BASICALLY BOXES THAT THE INTAKE RUNNERS DRAW AIR FROM,THE LT1 and STANDARD TPI PLENUMS WERE BOTH DESIGNED with clearances as major concerns, the HOLLEY STEALTH RAM was DESIGNED WITH PERFORMANCE as the MAJOR CONCERN, THE CUSTOM PLENUM IS BASICALLY A HOLLEY STYLE PLENUM with a slightly higher rpm range, several minor improvements listed earlier and it fits under the c-4 hood!

btw THE HOLLEY PLENUM IS DESIGNED FOR LOWER AVERAGE RPMS DUE TO ITS SLIGHTLY LARGER INTERIOR VOLUME, its about 18% larger inside

[Modified by grumpyvette, 1:55 AM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 08:56 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Ah, nothing like a vendor who gets offended the first time someone asks for concrete data, or more explanation. Grumpy, no one here was questioning your experience in the engineering field, nor did I detect any "I'm a better engine builder than you or smarter than you" attitude from anyone....except you. All people were asking for was more explanation as to the R&D process that was used to create this product, as well as some concrete test numbers by which to evaluate the product for themselves. I, for one, rarely buy ANYTHING on the vendor's word, without doing research into the product itself. It's not intended to offend whatever vendor it might be, I just don't like to waste my money.

This being said, I won't post my feelings on the product or the development process in a public forum, whether they are favorable or not...mainly because I am in the process of developing a new TPI intake myself and there is an obvious conflict of interest. The reason for my post was mainly to see if we couldn't all calm down a little and relax. Also, we need to try to realize that detailed inquiry isn't intended as an affront, but rather informed research into a new product, and that not everyone has time to sit at the computer and answer every question that comes up in a thread all at one time....responses to in-depth questions require some time and patience.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-20-2003, 09:20 PM
86_RedRider
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '05

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (CorvetteZ51Racer)

30 day money back gurantee?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:21 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Err..... Ok.. temps.....figures.....flow rate.. blablabla..
How bout telling us 'NORMAL' people. (Usually those who would buysuch an item as the end consumer)about some dyno testing that has been done on a stock, slightly modded and liek yours 383 fulyl modded engine? Also is this more like the Miniram or liek the SUperram? Since one is better for HP but loses on TRQ, and vice versa.Please let us know..

Thanks..So with this, a stealthram is around $500 total then right?
What about the fuel rails? Stock ones work, or we need the holley specific ones? How much are those? Are stealthram bases direct fit to our heads/intake?
Is it emissions legal? Does it retain EGR function?

[Modified by MrNuke, 8:26 PM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 09:22 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

:iagree: well said...

btw...what's up with all you FL folks wanting to make stuff? :crazy:

I for one am looking forward to something similar to the Stealthram and what Grumpy has. I just need to be convinced it isnt all talk. Looking forward to seeing all the options you guys are coming up with!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:28 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Default Re: custom c-4 plenums now available (VetteNoob)

btw...what's up with all you FL folks wanting to make stuff? :crazy:

Looking forward to seeing all the options you guys are coming up with!
Well, with all this sunny warm weather, what else do we have to do? Go to the beach? Drive with the roof off? :D

I will be posting information on my manifold in a separate thread when we get to prototype testing near the end of next month. Maybe, with both Grumpy and I being in Florida, we could arrange a dyno comparison with our respective manifolds on both of our cars...see which does more with what engine mods....

Get notified of new replies

To custom c-4 plenums now available

Old 03-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

I'm not doubting it'll work, but I would like to see some numbers for a stock L98.
I seriously doubt that the somewhat different plenum volume will cause significant changes from the original HSR. The original HSR, when put onto a stock 92 L98 Camaro, produced gains of over 60hp at around 5,200 rpm. That was on an iron headed camaro motor with absolutely no PROM changes, nor any other mods of any kind. It was through stock exhaust manifolds. It gave up 15 horsepower at 3,400 rpm compared to the stock induction.

Like I said, I seriously doubt that this plenum will have significantly different results compared to Holley's plenum. Maybe grumpy will be willing to do a dyno test with this plenum vs. the holley piece.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:42 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, with all this sunny warm weather, what else do we have to do? Go to the beach? Drive with the roof off? :D
Over-rated! :lol:

On a technical note...someone correct me if Im wrong here, but doesnt the extensions on the plenum serve a heatsink purpose? Not that it would dissipate a huge amount of heat, but it does allow for more surface area to be in contact with the air (even if it is warm engine air).
Old 03-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Not Stock
Instructor

I started this project 7 month ago, the first thing I did was contact a fuel injection shop with the IDEA of building a custom plenum for the stealth ram ,THE OWNER TOOK MY IDEA AND BUILT HIS OWN TOTALLY UNTESTED VERSION, I objected TO NOT TESTING , HE, WAS ONLY INTERESTED IN PROFIT NOT RESULTS
I CONTRACTED A LARGE MACHINE SHOP TO BUILT SEVERAL PROTO-TYPES, (7) by the TIME I GOT THE DESIGN CORRECT!

all this cost me 4 months (7 months if you count time wasted waiting on some one trying to steal my ideas) and $4500 in research, while its true I don,t own a complete dyno, Ive driven the FINAL PROTO TYPE FOR TWO MONTHS LOOKING FOR FLAWS, Ive also talked with ONE OF HOLLEYS ENGINEERs and worked out several minor problems
the basic botom line here is I know through testing that BOTH the stock HOLLEY STEALTH RAM and MY CUSTOM STEALTH RAM PLENUM PRODUCE similar HP, BUT MINE FITS UNDER THE C-4 HOOD LINE

)(and the custom plenum was developed bye myself so that other would not NEED to cut up their hoods, and THE CUSTOM PLENUM HAD IDENTICAL MPH RESULTS than all I can say is DON,T BUY ONE!

BTW WHAT HAVE YOU BUILT,HOW MANY ENGINES? IVE BUILT WELL OVER A HUNDERED IN THE LAST 33 YEARS, IVE ALSO BUILT SEVERAL CUSTON EFI SYSTEMS AND SEVERAL CUSTOM TUNNEL RAM INTAKES, HOW MANY HAVE YOU BUILT ?
ARE YOU A SUPPORTING VENDOR?

IF NOT WHY ARE YOU HERE SELLING A PRODUCT?

ALSO WHY THE DELAY IN RESPONDING TO SEVERAL REQUESTS FOR A REPLY?

Quick Reply: custom c-4 plenums now available