C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:12 PM
antenna
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter

My 96 auto C4 might be needing a starter. Every so often when I turn the key, I get nothing. I turn it again and it starts. It's not the battery, just changed it. Is this the starter starting to go? How hard is it to change the starter?
Old 03-28-2003, 05:30 PM
jimswhite92
Racer

Default Re: Starter (antenna)

There are several switches and relays that allow the starter to turn over. (Ignition fuses, Ignition switch, crank clutch fuse, transmission range switch (automatic) or clutch petal position switch (manual), theft deterrent relay, CCM, and I probably forgot a couple.) Kind of difficult to diagnose if the problem does not occur all of the time.

Old 03-28-2003, 05:37 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Starter (jimswhite92)

There are several switches and relays that allow the starter to turn over. (Ignition fuses, Ignition switch, crank clutch fuse, transmission range switch (automatic) or clutch petal position switch (manual), theft deterrent relay, CCM, and I probably forgot a couple.) Kind of difficult to diagnose if the problem does not occur all of the time.
Agreed on the difficulty of diagnosis, as Jim stated. I would first look at the various relays in the system before looking at the starter. As far as how hard it is to change, it's pretty easy to do. It should be 3 wires going to the starter, and 2 bolts (9/16" socket if memory serves) holding the starter to the block.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:14 PM
antenna
Advanced

Default Re: Starter (CorvetteZ51Racer)

Since it's intermitant, I wouldn't think it would be a fuse. I was concerned that there might be a relay someplace that might stick. Anyone know specificly what relay might be involved?
I know the regular Chevy starters have a big solonoid relay as part of the starter. I don't know if the C4 starter is the same as a regular Chevy starter. That solonoid would be my first guess for this problem.
I've changed many Chevy starters over the years, so I know the basics of it. I was just wondering if the one on my 96 C4 automatic had anything in the way that would make it hard to change.
For some reason I was thinking that the LT1 had a special starter that wasn't the same as what you might find on a regular 350 V8. Anyone know?

Get notified of new replies

To Starter

Quick Reply: Starter